• O'Hare
    • Hogan
    • Hepburn-Murphy (Adomah 69)
    • Davis (Hogan 73)
    • De Laet (Green 85)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Perfomance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/08/17 at 13:59

Green should play on the right wing.  He is no Thierry Henry so to get the best out of him play him so he can use his pace and cross instead of using his pace stopping and cutting back onto his right foot.

Spurs lad was impressive doing the running next to Whelan could be the way forward this season.

Steer impressive.  O'Hare busy.  Hourihane some nice crosses.

Job done and some competition for places.

Happy

UTV

• Like 1

To be fair to green there seemed to be a fair few times where he tried to knock the ball past his man and the conditions stopped him, certainly in the second half, he did hit one absolute peach of a cross with his left foot that was perfectly in to the middle of the box...over hogans head by about a foot, a benteke etc (samba up top :trollface:) would have smashed that in all day

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

To be fair to green there seemed to be a fair few times where he tried to knock the ball past his man and the conditions stopped him, certainly in the second half, he did hit one absolute peach of a cross with his left foot that was perfectly in to the middle of the box...over hogans head by about a foot, a benteke etc (samba up top :trollface:) would have smashed that in all day

Yes, agreed, that was one hell of a cross. But it was the only dangerous one I can remember. And this was against Colchester.

43 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

If we've replaced Baker with Samba and Amavi with Bjarnasson then we're in big trouble. More evidence that we're miles away from a promotion side. Great result, awful game and bad signs.

Bjarnasson has not replaced Amavi- we have got a international left back instead who was rested. I have no idea why Bruce does not play Bjanasson as a central midfielder as that is best position. We have got a away win and that bit closer to that free cup game. I will take that. 

To be fair (to both sides) the conditions were awful and I am sure came to the assistance of both teams. 

For me, we were the better footballing side but when Colchester gave themselves some hope, they took it and we were struggling to deal with it. We came through it and hopefully they will take some confidence from it. 

Pleased Hogan got a goal and special mentions for O'Hare and Steer. 

UTV

23 minutes ago, BigJim said:

Yes, agreed, that was one hell of a cross. But it was the only dangerous one I can remember. And this was against Colchester.

I think when we've got hogan upfront crossing can't really be our main attacking focus anyway, I think the wide guys need to get to the line and try and cut it back, conditions tonight make that very hard, the answer would be crossing early which he didn't do and adomah did very poorly

• Like 1

Bjarnasson worried me greatly. The number of times he had good possession in midfield on the left and just lamely passed it into the centre straight to one of their players was astounding. I lost count of the number of attacks they started as a direct result of that. I thought Green was pretty poor too. Hogan i feel is struggling to find consistency due to the constant changing of personnel around him. At Brentford it was more stable for him, he knew the system and was playing in a familiar well oiled attack week in week out. I feel he would flourish in a settled team...eventually.

Samba was out of position in the first half and i'm not sure if i imagined it but appeared to be playing on the left then he switched to the right second half & he was much better. I think the conditions were a nightmare for him due to his sheer size.

Adomah was not on it either apart from the cross for the offside goal.

Positives were Onomah who was classy in the middle there, O'Hare who looks a prospect, Steer of course and i thought RHM looked promising in his cameo appearance too. Good to see De Leat back too. Hourihane was just Meh as usual and Bree did okay without being great. We missed a Whelan or Jedi in there for me.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Relieved that we're through, that was remarkably unconvincing. When did we last smash a lower league team in the cup? We always make it look so difficult.

Wycombe 3 -8 Aston Villa, September 2005

Honestly think we would have lost tonight had Steer not been playing. Brilliant penalty save and that world class save in the 2nd half is the best save by a villa keeper for a long time. Will be extremely disappointed if he doesn't keep his place v Cardiff on Saturday. 

As usual we started well but let the opposition into the game rather than go for the kill. Both our goals were very lucky and assisted by the conditions.

its all been said, but

• Jed Steer acquitted himself very well indeed.
  • Callum O'Hare - First time I have seen him and I certainly hope its not the last....very impressed with the boy not just his urgency, but he has quick feet and gets the ball out of them quickly, has an eye for a pass too....not scared to get his shorts dirty either.
  • Onomah - like the lad, keeps the ball well and looks for a man....he too has good feet.

just picking up on something that hasn't been mentioned.......I would like to see us winning more aerial balls from  ( excluding the defenders) midfielders and forwards.....Hourihane won very few.

• Like 1

For an inexperienced side in horrible conditions against lower league opposition who are up for it, it was definitely a banana skin avoided. 

Not going as far as we've turned the corner but it was one small baby step. Good to have some luck go our way for a change too.

6 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Wycombe 3 -8 Aston Villa, September 2005

Oh yeah, think we were losing 3-1 at half time or something crazy like that!

6 hours ago, Junxs said:

Honestly think we would have lost tonight had Steer not been playing. Brilliant penalty save and that world class save in the 2nd half is the best save by a villa keeper for a long time. Will be extremely disappointed if he doesn't keep his place v Cardiff on Saturday

I think you should prepare yourself for disappointment old chap. 

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think you should prepare yourself for disappointment old chap. 

Think if SJ comes straight back in then there must be some kind of stipulation in the loan agreement that he must play when fit.. sometimes the bigger clubs do this to gaurantee their youth getting the playing time, if that's the case I'd be well annoyed. 

It would be criminal to drop Steer after that performance otherwise. 

• Like 1

Steer said himself in the post match interview whilst collecting his man of match award, that he hopes he can play the next cup game, when asked about challenging for the number 1 spot. Johnstone will come straight back in on Saturday. 

Steer was very good tonight and made some very good saves. 

Defence was shaky until Samba switched sides. Amavi was pulled off the coach in the morning, so I imagine Bjarnason playing left back was a last minute thing. Amavi would have probably played and Bjarnason played behind Hogan. Bree and Chester absolutely fine. 

Hourihane had a decent game. Great set piece delivery. Broke into the box a few times and made an impact. The pitch was impossible to play any type of passing game well. Onomah looked composed and impressive, as I'd hoped after seeing him for England and Spurs, that's his game. 

Glad Adomah got minutes. Delivery from him was disappointing. O'Hare looked good but faded. Green had an off night but wasn't terrible. 

Hogan the poacher scored a poachers goal. Should have had 2 with the missed header. Play to his strengths and he'll score goals. 

7 hours ago, Junxs said:

Honestly think we would have lost tonight had Steer not been playing. Brilliant penalty save and that world class save in the 2nd half is the best save by a villa keeper for a long time. Will be extremely disappointed if he doesn't keep his place v Cardiff on Saturday. 

As usual we started well but let the opposition into the game rather than go for the kill. Both our goals were very lucky and assisted by the conditions.

as opposed to their only goal which came from brilliant build up play?

Not a pretty game and not a very impressive performance.

But I think you need to take into account the conditions. They were dreadful, and it's a real leveller in games like this.

Considering the players we played, the result was a good one. I was happy with a few individual performances too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skills said:

as opposed to their only goal which came from brilliant build up play?

Not sure what point you're trying to make? 

Apart from our 2 fortunate goals their keeper was not really called upon to make any saves. There was a goal line clearance from Adomahs shot but that was it really. 

Whereas Steer got man of the match 

Â