Josh Onomah

skarroki

44 minutes ago, TRO said:

maybe he was searching for one that he could play in.....I know SB has a following like Trump and Farage, with a bit of Piers Morgan thrown in for good luck.

but, he needs to find more than his game.....the will to compete might help.

Bruce picked him when he was shit and yet gave up on other players a lot quicker. Bruce is a very poor manager, quite a few of our players now looking much better.

7 minutes ago, Dick said:

Bruce picked him when he was shit and yet gave up on other players a lot quicker. Bruce is a very poor manager, quite a few of our players now looking much better.

Dick, its your opinion and while I respect it, I disagree with it.

My opinion is, I think few in the industry would say Steve Bruce is a very poor manager, some would say not even poor.....but Limited, yes.

Personally, I have been particularly disappointed in finding out that the training was more passive than intense.....I accepted that he was cautious and judging by some of the defensive work of late , can see why.....I was never enamored with the style, it was boring and self indulgent, lack expression and initiative.

Many of our players look better and that is to Deans Credit, but I would suspect if you asked Dean if he would take 24 wins this season he would take it now.

Its easy to play to populist opinion.....But Steve Bruce is not a "very poor manager" but by definition that does not make him a very good one either.

Despite all our joy in watching the football of late....Dean may not achieve 4 promotions in his career and I think he will be the first to tell you that...I also think Dean Smith would baulk at SB being labelled as such.

Steve Bruce failed to get us to where we want to be, He failed to entertain us or give us hope, He failed to get the best out of many of our players, He did make the playoffs and did get 24 wins in a season, despite the bad start.

I am hoping Dean can bring in players that can make us more complete, but i would suspect he will be happy with some that he has inherited already....It takes all sorts of skills to be a good manager.....Steve fell short on some and ok on others.....lets hope Dean can be more complete.

Dean has been quick to respect Steve Bruce's tenure and accept some of the stuff he has left behind.....Dean has his ways and I am more than happy he is with us.

for me I am happy to be gracious and accept the new as the way to go.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Wasn't there rumours that spurzzz offered 2m +onomah for grealish at some stage? What a shocking deal that is if true

An eye watering 3 million I believe. Which means either Spurs dont rate Jack or Spurs rate Ononah over 20 million 😂

• Haha 1

Fwiw, Wednesday fans are split with some thinking he was shite, and others seem to think he had a half decent game, and are laying in to their manager for shit man management.

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/278992-onomah/

Haven't seem him since he left us, and I'm glad of it.

Edited by Davkaus

It's not an easy club to play for atm. Wednesday fans in revolt and want Jos Luckhay sacked.

I thought Onomah looked decent in his early games, nice touch and could score a goal but he quickly amounted to nothing much. Certainly not going to make it at Spurs.

5 hours ago, TRO said:

Dick, its your opinion and while I respect it, I disagree with it.

My opinion is, I think few in the industry would say Steve Bruce is a very poor manager, some would say not even poor.....but Limited, yes.

snip...

i think the tide is turning, i think uneasy on the eye football is finally being considered "poor manager" the old dinosaur cliche is finally exposing Bruce (and MON, pulis, mark hughes no doubt several more...even jose maybe) where the other cliche of it being a result business isnt true anymore, its an entertainment business

i also think past success isnt regarded in the same way anymore and rightly so, probably more down to the demise of wenger and the relevance of his invincibles when his current team was finishing 6th, people were so quick to celebrate Bruce's 4 promotions, the reality is what he achieved in 2002 has no relevance in 2018, its gone, moved on, in the same way that dean smith being alright at walsall means nothing right now

im not saying that for the 20 years he has been a manager he has always been a poor one but as we sit here now in 2018 with the shift in actual proper tactical football finally taking over english football steve bruce quite definitely deserves that label 

Haven't seen him play this season but he was fine last season.

Had his (very) poor games, as you'd expect from a young loanee. But he had good games as well. I thought especially when he came in at the end of the season after a bit of a break he did well.

People were also quick to forget that for our first 6-10 games he was our best player.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Best will in the world, I think that's complete rubbish. 

I think it all depends the club. Top 6 its a result business

Teams below that who have no chance of getting into them positions I think its an entertainment business. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Teams below that who have no chance of getting into them positions I think its an entertainment business. 

But they'd all swap the entertainment for results if it got them into those positions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

The bottom teams in the league will all sack their manager when the results are shit. Nobody could argue that Fulham's matches haven't been entertaining

19 hours ago, villa4europe said:

snip...

i think the tide is turning, i think uneasy on the eye football is finally being considered "poor manager" the old dinosaur cliche is finally exposing Bruce (and MON, pulis, mark hughes no doubt several more...even jose maybe) where the other cliche of it being a result business isnt true anymore, its an entertainment business

i also think past success isnt regarded in the same way anymore and rightly so, probably more down to the demise of wenger and the relevance of his invincibles when his current team was finishing 6th, people were so quick to celebrate Bruce's 4 promotions, the reality is what he achieved in 2002 has no relevance in 2018, its gone, moved on, in the same way that dean smith being alright at walsall means nothing right now

im not saying that for the 20 years he has been a manager he has always been a poor one but as we sit here now in 2018 with the shift in actual proper tactical football finally taking over english football steve bruce quite definitely deserves that label 

I accept your view as tangible, but personally have a mixed view on it.

The current football trend, is, as you say.....but trends change and have done over the years, rarely is anything new, just regurgitated....the game was full of goals during the 5-3-2 era....but who is bold enough to return to that..

you go through the History of football and there is always a new tactical variety being concocted to spook the opposition....and like most things in life always a theory being sought to counteract it.

Its all about getting results, That is what wins trophies and gains promotions....There is a duty to entertain, but one mans meat is another mans poison....We are playing some delightful football and its easy on the eye, it also gives hope to winning a game....but on the contrary, conceding easy goals ,I find depressing and frustrating to watch.

If winning 3-2 every week was attainable, I would take it....but its much harder to score than defend....why make it hard for ourselves?

I guess the trick is, to find a middle ground where we do both with aplomb.

Stoke for me won the tactical battle.....They stopped us playing out from the back in our normal way and forced us to hoof.....our midfield not being renowned for being comfortable with aerial balls allowed their more suited players to head the ball back in to our final third, where their pressers then morphed in to attackers again....it nullified our recent style and reduced us to scrap, which is not our natural game, but clearly is theirs.

IMO their players ( on the day)were not technically superior to ours but more rounded and suited to the rigours of this league....Referees are not going to protect us, so we might as well forget it.

My conclusion....We need defenders who can withstand being out muscled and maybe a midfielder who can too

On 16/12/2018 at 15:23, Demitri_C said:

Wasn't there rumours that spurzzz offered 2m +onomah for grealish at some stage? What a shocking deal that is if true

Judging by some of the dross we bought over the last 10 years....is it any wonder any team tries its chances with us.

There ought be a public Inquiry in to our transfer market exploits.

• 3 years later...
Â