Josh Onomah

skarroki

Only caught the second half but he looked strong and hungry. His game had that a sharpness and purpose that has been so badly lacking. Getting the ball out of his feet quickly, sharp touches away from players, rather than the usual killing the ball dead and just standing still like a netball player.

• Like 2

Funny enough seems to be playing well now we have moved him to the centre.

Spuds fans were saying this was his position so maybe we have been a bit unfair with him.

If he plays well against derby you have to say he deserves to start in the play offs.

A great time to find some form!

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Funny enough seems to be playing well now we have moved him to the centre.

Spuds fans were saying this was his position so maybe we have been a bit unfair with him.

If he plays well against derby you have to say he deserves to start in the play offs.

A great time to find some form!

Not sure about this mate. 

If we agree that he is better in the center, and also acknowledge that one of Jedinak/Whelan will play in the DM slot, that only leaves the spot of Hourihane or Grealish.

Delighted that his form has picked up but i simply don't see a starting spot for him in the play offs.

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

Not sure about this mate. 

If we agree that he is better in the center, and also acknowledge that one of Jedinak/Whelan will play in the DM slot, that only leaves the spot of Hourihane or Grealish.

Delighted that his form has picked up but i simply don't see a starting spot for him in the play offs.

Is him or Hourihane.

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Is him or Hourihane.

both have goals in them too and have drifted in and out of form this season, but I still think that Conor deserves it more unless Josh continues to impress in the next two upcoming games assuming he starts.

9 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

both have goals in them too and have drifted in and out of form this season, but I still think that Conor deserves it more unless Josh continues to impress in the next two upcoming games assuming he starts.

Yep it's the trade of defensive solidity and dead ball over forward dynamism. I'd start with hourihane but it' a fantastic option to have from the bench if needed.

9 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Yep it's the trade of defensive solidity and dead ball over forward dynamism. I'd start with hourihane but it' a fantastic option to have from the bench if needed.

that's where I'm leaning too atm

I see a little attitude 'red flag' when a player starts to perform towards the end of a loan spell.  There must be a reason he didn't start since February 24th (8 games).

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, BOF said:

I see a little attitude 'red flag' when a player starts to perform towards the end of a loan spell.  There must be a reason he didn't start since February 24th (8 games).

It may be of use to use in the short term though!

2 hours ago, BOF said:

He performed at the start of the loan spell too.

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He performed at the start of the loan spell too.

You say that like it invalidates my point. It doesn't. 

16 hours ago, BOF said:

I'm not sure it raises a red flag. I think a lot of it is he is  young kid with no real 1st team football experience being asked to play in different positions quite often. Also with the form of hourihane, thor and Grealish it was always going to be hard getting regular games. 

I don't want him, because I dont think he offers and contributes enough during games, he just infuriates me, the way he strolls around, jogging/not sprinting back when we looses the ball etc. Either he is not in the game or he drifts in and out, and thats simply not good enough for a CM and I think with the right scouting you could you can get the same as he offers now for less money. 

7 hours ago, BOF said:

You say that like it invalidates my point. It doesn't. 

I'm not really sure to be honest.

I inferred from your post that you were saying the reason he hasn't performed well this season was an attitude problem, and the only reason he was performing now was because he was coming to the end of his loan.

So I guess my point was he performed well at the start of the loan so what was the reason for that?

I think he's been out of the team recently because his performances dropped, and he's worked his way back in by performing better, probably helped by being played in his actual position.

I don't really buy that the guy has an attitude problem.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not really sure to be honest.

I inferred from your post that you were saying the reason he hasn't performed well this season was an attitude problem, and the only reason he was performing now was because he was coming to the end of his loan.

So I guess my point was he performed well at the start of the loan so what was the reason for that?

He initially comes on loan full of the joys of life as you'd expect from any youngster.  "I'm gonna do my best here...".  That initial impetus lasts about a month, has a bit in November and then the doldrums for the majority of the season, and now towards the end of April we're getting almost MOTM performances.  That's just an observation.  I'm not judging him based on it.  He's only young.  I'm sure he's had more experienced players ahead of him etc.  That's just how I'd sum up his season.  Also, he did better for England than he did for us.  That's also a pointer towards questionable motivation.  That he can raise himself consistently for his national side but not for his club side.  I'm saying this season has raised more questions about him than it has provided answers.  But he has plenty of time to answer them.  Where will he answer them?  Probably not at Spurs.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't really buy that the guy has an attitude problem.

That's why it's only a little flag :)

Some fair points there. If ever he needed further confirmation that every game matters when building your career it's interesting that there are rumours this morning that Spurs are after Rubén Neves. Just a year older than Onomah but could potentially push him further back in the queue or even end his Spurs career after well...a very different season. 

My view is that he's got good raw material to be a player and I think he'll get better but would agree that he'll never start a game at Spurs. 

1 hour ago, BOF said:

He initially comes on loan full of the joys of life as you'd expect from any youngster.  "I'm gonna do my best here...".  That initial impetus lasts about a month, has a bit in November and then the doldrums for the majority of the season, and now towards the end of April we're getting almost MOTM performances.  That's just an observation.  I'm not judging him based on it.  He's only young.  I'm sure he's had more experienced players ahead of him etc.  That's just how I'd sum up his season.  Also, he did better for England than he did for us.  That's also a pointer towards questionable motivation.  That he can raise himself consistently for his national side but not for his club side.  I'm saying this season has raised more questions about him than it has provided answers.  But he has plenty of time to answer them.  Where will he answer them?  Probably not at Spurs.

That's why it's only a little flag :)

I think a lot of his issues here could probably be explained by him being played on the left a lot. In the centre he seems to have done well pretty consistently.

A bit like Bjarnasson.

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think a lot of his issues here could probably be explained by him being played on the left a lot. In the centre he seems to have done well pretty consistently.

A bit like Bjarnasson.

Sorry to be that guy but that didn't ring true to me. 

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/josh-onomah/leistungsdaten/spieler/243589

This link says he's played 4 games LM and 3 RM, 24 AM, 2 CM. 

I'd entirely agree he's not a wide player, nor do I think he's an AM. But in fairness to Bruce he has been pants at times when played deeper. For me he's a box to box player he's had good games for us doing that and he's had bad ones. 

I'm not sure I buy he's got a bad attitude I think it's probably the usual inconsistency you'd expect of someone in their first full season. 

Â