Josh Onomah

skarroki

Just now, nick76 said:

leaves Hourihane way down the list given Whelan and Lansbury been playing then Jedinak to come back and now this kid

He wasn't going to play the Grealish role anyway. This lad is here because Grealish is still in a Hospital bed and will be for a while yet.. We were playing a 4-4-1-1 at Watford with everything going through Grealish and that is how Bruce likely wants to play against Hull. Onomah can play any position in midfield, but he's largely a Number 10 like Grealish was going to play this Season. Hourihane isn't in Bruce's plans to play there, he doesn't even seem to be in Bruce's plans to play anywhere in midfield this Season. 

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Assume he won't be available for tomorrow?

He's available.

"Onomah is eligible for this weekend’s Sky Bet Championship opener against Hull City after training with his new team-mates."

AVFC website.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

leaves Hourihane way down the list given Whelan and Lansbury been playing then Jedinak to come back and now this kid

Hourihane and Jedinak are incomparable though. If Whelan is injured, bring in Jedinak. If Lansbury is injured bring in Hourihane. So Hourihane is next in line and there's an obvious place for him to compete for with Lansbury. We need more than starting players obvs. 

Back on topic, I feel better about the start of the season now. I felt we needed at least one more option. That left wing is looking to be our main obvious weak spot now, so here's hoping Green continues his progress. His performances under Bruce were night and day to his performance(s) under RDM (although he didn't play much under RDM so that is no 'Bruce is great' statement). 

Edited by praisedmambo

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Ahh, I remember him from the Under 20s World Cup, he played well, including in the final... if he's the right player I'm thinking of.

That's the one.

• Like 1

I'm a bit confused as to where he's going to play. Been reading and it seems as if he's more of a box to box midfielder rather than a 10 so it's not quite a straight swap for the Grealish position? Is he going to be up against Lansbury/Hourihane?

Either way, he's surely been guaranteed a good amount of playing time so I'm excited to see him. 

Edited by Farlz

Never seen him play so no idea what he's like, will say though im not a big fan of loan signings.

When you get a player from a bigger club there always seems to be a must play when fit stipulation. Sometimes this works against you when a player hits bad form, Frank Carson springs to mind, he played every minute dispite looking dreadful at times. Sam Johnston loan irks me too as looks like he will have to play every game too.

Have to admit was looking forward to seeing more of our own Josh (Hayes) this season but thats less likely to happen now.

However if a loan player is bloody good then its worth it. Hope Onomah fits into this category, but the only loan i can think of that was this category for us is Carbone

5 minutes ago, Junxs said:

When you get a player from a bigger club there always seems to be a must play when fit stipulation. Sometimes this works against you when a player hits bad form, Frank Carson springs to mind, he played every minute dispite looking dreadful at times. Sam Johnston loan irks me too as looks like he will have to play every game too.

Not having that. Frank Carson always looked great.

IMG_3149.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, VanDerVaart said:

100% CM, you won't see the best of him further forward.

Here's a good compilation of his U20 World Cup performances if you have the time to watch - https://twitter.com/YedIin/status/873962696122613760

(Spurs fan in peace here btw).

Thanks very much. As a Spurs fan you'll have seen more of him than most, what are your opinions on how he will fit in to the Championship? 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I would not be suprised if Hourihane was sold. Has been a big disappointment so far 

1 hour ago, Phumfeinz said:

Seriously. We should be top 2, play-off winners at a minimum with what we have. Anything less is simply unacceptable.

A very good point which I feel is well worth repeating 

Â