Josh Onomah

skarroki

Terry, Samba, Hutton, Gabby, Bunn all have 1 year (left) contracts. Onomah and Johnstone are 1 year loans. Going to be an interesting summer next year depending on what league we're in!

As for Onomah, I watched the obligatory YouTube video of him playing for England in another thread and am not sure I quite get the excitement. He may be good at what he does but he seemed to be yet another deep lying, defensive midfielder. In the Whelen/ Jedinak role. He collects from defence then smartly plays the ball but little in terms of attacking runs, or taking players on etc. I openly admit I know nothing of the player but does he normally play in a different role than this as this doesn't look like the Grealish/no. 10 replacement we need as it stands.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

Never seen him play so no idea what he's like, will say though im not a big fan of loan signings.

When you get a player from a bigger club there always seems to be a must play when fit stipulation. Sometimes this works against you when a player hits bad form, Frank Carson springs to mind, he played every minute dispite looking dreadful at times. Sam Johnston loan irks me too as looks like he will have to play every game too.

Have to admit was looking forward to seeing more of our own Josh (Hayes) this season but thats less likely to happen now.

However if a loan player is bloody good then its worth it. Hope Onomah fits into this category, but the only loan i can think of that was this category for us is Carbone

You can only be talking about Johnstone yeah??

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Terry, Samba, Hutton, Gabby, Bunn all have 1 year (left) contracts. Onomah and Johnstone are 1 year loans. Going to be an interesting summer next year depending on what league we're in!

That would be the icing on the cake if we get promoted, Tony would be able to absolutely let rip with the spending, 100m spend no problem, maybe more, as would be getting that in TV money even if we finish last. Should buy half a neymar. 

28 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

As for Onomah, I watched the obligatory YouTube video of him playing for England in another thread and am not sure I quite get the excitement. He may be good at what he does but he seemed to be yet another deep lying, defensive midfielder. In the Whelen/ Jedinak role. He collects from defence then smartly plays the ball but little in terms of attacking runs, or taking players on etc. I openly admit I know nothing of the player but does he normally play in a different role than this as this doesn't look like the Grealish/no. 10 replacement we need as it stands.

That's where he was played for England, but that's not where Pochettino thinks he plays best. He has likely been brought in to replace Grealish as his best position is in a more attacking role either on the wings or behind the striker.

Best mate is a massive Spurs fan and he's very surprised that they've let him go out on loan but he is rated extremely highly at Tottenham and I've been told he is an excellent young player and should fit in really well with our squad. 

1 hour ago, jackbauer24 said:

Well, at the very least it should be exciting to have another solid, capable, and energetic midfielder to fill in for or play along side those you mentioned?

Mauricio Pochettino does not bend easily but in the case of Josh Onomah he has changed his mind. 20-year-old Onomah is heading to Aston Villa on loan, having signed a new four-year contract at Tottenham Hotspur, giving him the chance to test himself in central midfield in the Championship this season.

That would be common at many clubs but at Tottenham it is a surprise. Pochettino’s policy with his best youngsters at Spurs – and Onomah remains the most gifted of his generation – has been to keep them at Tottenham. Pochettino rates his own coaching staff so highly that he does not want lesser coaches getting their hands on his players.

So Onomah, unusually for someone his age, has never been on loan. At the start of the summer Huddersfield, Brighton and Burnley were all interested in taking him but Spurs said no. A good offer from Celtic, where he would have played more, was rejected too.

But after getting Onomah back in for pre-season just three weeks after the Under 20 World Cup final – which Onomah’s England won – and then taking him to the US tour, Pochettino has decided to change course. And the decision on the loan is ultimately inseparable from the debate on Onomah’s best position.

Onomah sees himself as a box to box midfielder, especially given his physical development in his late teens. That is the role he has played in youth teams and that is where he played so successfully for England U20s earlier this summer.

But Pochettino does not trust him there, not yet. Last season Onomah and Harry Winks started as equals but Winks quickly earned Pochettino’s trust in the middle, Onomah never did. By the end of the season, Winks had started 12 games, Onomah just three.

Pochettino only saw Onomah as an option out wide, trying to make the most his speed and strength, but not trusting his skills in the middle. Ultimately he was a back-up for Moussa Sissoko and that was it, until he proved to his manager that he had learned.

The problem with Pochettino’s stance is that he was not giving Onomah the chance to prove himself in midfield at Spurs, but nor was he allowing him to do that elsewhere. Onomah was stuck. People close to Pochettino were insisting to him that Onomah was in fact a very promising midfielder and should be allowed to play there. Pochettino is a manager with very clear ideas in his head about how he wants to work, and he does not change path willingly. But this week, in the case of Onomah, under strong advice about what Onomah can be, he gave way.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/tottenham-transfer-news-josh-onomah-aston-villa-loan-mauricio-pochettino-loan-deal-a7876226.html

I don't know much about the kid, but I didn't imagine him being a box to box midfielder. Not really sure about this now. He has come here to play but are we really able to guarantee him that? It's up to him at the end of the day to get in the side, but it's not exactly what we needed - is it?

From watching the YouTube clip, he seems very right-footed, takes the ball from the left and moves it right very efficiently.  I'm guessing he will be on the bench for the opener and will start against Colchester.  Doesn't look like a #10 but what do I know? 

I think he'll get many minutes in a Villa shirt.

It's interesting that a box-to-box midfielder is how he sees himself. From this and the brief times I've seen him play, he's going to bring a lot of energy to our play and cover a lot of ground.

He seems to give  pass and immediately look for one back which is great. That seems to be a consistent part of his game and that's definitely something we need to be more effective in the final third. Recently we've a had a tendency to stand and admire passes or pass it across the edge of the box without much penetration.

If we have someone now who is comfortable in the middle and out wide and is always looking to receive the ball hopefully that's going to press the opposition and open up many angles in the box.

Hopefully he's going to bring positive momentum to our play that's going to constantly drive us forward.

I predict him to be similar to 2013-14 season Fabian Delph.......:D 

Â