Josh Onomah

skarroki

On 28/02/2018 at 09:12, Lord Willard said:

At the start of the season I'm talking first 3 games when we looked a shambles, he was one of our better players. He has put in a shift once or twice since but other than that it's been like we're playing with 10 men. 

I agree with Josh that he should only be a DM, he isn't talented enough to play any further forward. 

I think he's far too casual on the ball to ever play DM. He gives the ball away far too often and it's not in the "trying killer passes so bound to have a low pass %" kind of give the ball away its generally because he's dallying on the ball and has no awareness of what's around him so gets it pinched off him which would be suicide if he was our deepest midfielder

I think if we must play him, it has to be further forward, simply because on those rare occasions he finds himself in 5-10 yards of space he can actually look pretty dangerous, and when he inevitably dallies on the ball and gets caught out I'd much rather that was 10 yards outside the oppositions box than 10 yards outside ours 

Ideally he just wouldn't play at all though, if he can sort out his positional awareness he could be a decent player, and if he were one of our youngsters I'd be wanting him playing more just to help him progress because I do think he's got some potential, but he isn't and in the here and now he's simply not good enough for our team at the moment

On 28/02/2018 at 08:49, Demitri_C said:

I wonder if Bruce still wants to sign him permanently?  He cant be impressed at how poor he has been 

It was only a few months ago Bruce said he wanted to break the bank for him, he looked average then so it was a bit of a strange statement.

Just this week he said fans should lay off him as he's the same age as O'Hare and Davis, I find that baffling too that he's giving Onomah plenty of opportunities despite failing but not to O'Hare who looks lively whenever he's on the pitch.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Junxs said:

It was only a few months ago Bruce said he wanted to break the bank for him, he looked average then so it was a bit of a strange statement.

Just this week he said fans should lay off him as he's the same age as O'Hare and Davis, I find that baffling too that he's giving Onomah plenty of opportunities despite failing but not to O'Hare who looks lively whenever he's on the pitch.

Maybe, He is looking at the bigger picture and the fact that Spurs have not sent to him to us without benefit to them.

We could dig our heels in win the battle and lose the war......next time we want a player from spurs they could tell us to do one, if we do not act with respect and discretion.

Just now, TRO said:

Maybe, He is looking at the bigger picture and the fact that Spurs have not sent to him to us without benefit to them.

We could dig our heels in win the battle and lose the war......next time we want a player from spurs they could tell us to do one, if we do not act with respect and discretion.

At the cost of our own promotion? I don't think so. Johnstone, Snodgrass and Grabban are all getting games, we can just be honest with spurs and tell them he's completely out of form, and point to the 3 loan players who are getting games as proof that its not a loan thing, they aren't stupid they will understand our promotion is more important than their out of form loan player and they will understand. Bruce is cutting off his nose to spite his face by persisting with him. The fact that he didnt feature for a while when we won 7 in a row, tells me we play better without him in the team. We can't risk our ffp situation by keeping spurs sweet, if we don't go up this year we could be stuck down here for decades.

• Like 2

As I've said previously, I like Onomah and would be happy if he became a permanent signing.

No way do I think we should be breaking the bank for him though.

Unlike a lot of views on here I think Onomah has shown as much quality and potential as both O'Hare and Davis so far.

He is however, like both Davis and O'Hare, not a gauranteed starter and Bruce's stance is not only slightly concerning but could be detrimental to everyone involved.

Edited by A'Villan

33 minutes ago, Junxs said:

At the cost of our own promotion? I don't think so. Johnstone, Snodgrass and Grabban are all getting games, we can just be honest with spurs and tell them he's completely out of form, and point to the 3 loan players who are getting games as proof that its not a loan thing, they aren't stupid they will understand our promotion is more important than their out of form loan player and they will understand. Bruce is cutting off his nose to spite his face by persisting with him. The fact that he didnt feature for a while when we won 7 in a row, tells me we play better without him in the team. We can't risk our ffp situation by keeping spurs sweet, if we don't go up this year we could be stuck down here for decades.

I quite agree.....I wasn't suggesting that we put our promotion hopes as secondary to our obligation to Spurs.( depending on the contract details)

You are suggesting that maybe Onomah is putting our promotion hopes at risk.....I don't think Steve Bruce agrees.

I too am concerned with Onomahs form, its seems the manager has accepted the situation as a young lad having a form dip.

Its rare that a manager can do everything that us fans want them to do......one of the frustrations of football I guess.

This all looks a bit tribal to me: why is the “outsider” Onomah being picked over “our” players like Davis and O’Hare?

Oh, Villa fans, perhaps we have been shit for so long that these periodic campaigns of ganging up on particular players have just become a way of life. While we were so shit, trying to undermine particular players probably made little difference to our overall performance.

But now we are aiming for promotion and have a really good chance of getting it so if a player is picked for the team it is time just to get behind him and will him and the whole team to succeed.

The idea that picking Onomah will “cost” us promotion is fairly absurd.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, TRO said:

You aren’t serious ???

You really think it’s possible Bruce would pick him for any other reason than him thinking “ that’s the guy I want in that role for this game “ ?

I don’t. The very thought is appalling.

I think we have better options, but I’m 100% sure if Bruce thought he had better options he’d pick them.

For my part when I groaned at him early second half last Saturday it was because he was easily robbed of the ball straight after half time, which had already been happening first half.

I certainly didn’t groan because he’s a Spurs player ( he’s not, at present), or because he’s not O Hare.

10 minutes ago, terrytini said:

You aren’t serious ???

You really think it’s possible Bruce would pick him for any other reason than him thinking “ that’s the guy I want in that role for this game “ ?

I don’t. The very thought is appalling.

I think we have better options, but I’m 100% sure if Bruce thought he had better options he’d pick them.

If you are alluding to that suggestion being his prime reason for picking him no, that is not what I meant......I was merely suggesting that there are many factors to amalgamate to form a decision.

I would presume SB or any other manager will pick the best eleven HE thinks will win the match.

but I think what i suggested has to have consideration, depending on the details of the agreement.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

If you are alluding to that suggestion being his prime reason for picking him no, that is not what I meant......I was merely suggesting that there are many factors to amalgamate to form a decision.

I would presume SB or any other manager will pick the best eleven HE thinks will win the match.

but I think what i suggested has to have consideration, depending on the details of the agreement.

Well, again, I would say I 100% hope not.

Whether we do or don’t want another player off Spurs one day should play no part at all.

To be honest that’s actually the view of some of those complaining - thinking  “ our boys” are being kept out because of some written or implied loan clause.

I think it has nothing to do with it, I’m 100% sure Bruce picks him solely for his own football reasons to the exclusion of all else.

I certainly hope so.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/03/2018 at 09:48, TRO said:

True, and especially where we are right now, a loan signing from the likes of Spurs or Man Utd is really helping us. But I think this one for me isn't really working out. Everytime I've seen him play he looks lost and gives the ball away far too much. We've played really well recently and he's not been in the side. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Barney_avfc said:

Not really surprising that nobody has mentioned his cameo appearance last night. I thought he played really well when he came on, put a cracking ball in for Kodjia too. 

I commented at the game, very same thing.

I think he has been a big disappointment for the manager in particular, because I thought what a prudent signing at the time.

just shows how unpredictable it all is.

perhaps he can find some form fir the run in.

Edited by TRO

Â