Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Hull

limpid

Match Polls  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Perfomance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/08/17 at 18:45

Well it started promisingly, ended with at least a few chances but the middle half hour was back to what we've been used to for far too long.

Im pretty sure we hold the all time record of most points dropped from winning positions and its got even worse in the Championship. Countless 1-0 leads not built upon and punished. 

Felt a bit for Hogan, hope his time will come. And chin up Andre, same goes for you

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Junxs said:

Agree, can't help but think Bruce said to the lads at half time to hang on to the lead. We've never tried to put teams to the sword under Bruce at all. 

Fantastic first 40 minutes, but then it was like watching last season in the 2nd half. I mentioned in the build up thread that there were no strikers on the bench which was strange but silly me should have realised Samba was the secret weapon. We didnt try to win the match until the final 10 minutes but give Hull some credit. There were positives to take away from today as well as negatives but better than last year with still lots of work to do 

Disappointing but I don't think it was worthy of a meltdown. Hull aren't shit. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Now I'm going to get the positives out the way first as there are some, but I feel most will ignore that in their rants..

Firstly the first half was great and we played really well. Gabby was immense, Elmo was immense, Lansbury was great, Hogan was great, Terry and Chester were great, Johnstone was great.. We created chance after chance after chance and should have been 4-0 up, but we scored 1 which is a start. There was lots of positives in the first half and it was fun to watch.

The second half was the exact opposite at least for most of it. Gabby was terrible, Elmo was terrible, Lansbury was terrible, Hogan was average, Terry, Chester, Taylor and Hutton were average.. Johnstone was alright, he conceded but under that pressure he was likely always going to. We didn't seem to have an idea or game plan once Hull inevitably came into the game. Why did we go into the second half not expecting Hull to have a changed game plan? Why did we not change things earlier when it was clear that Bacuna wasn't working out for us, when it was clear that Gabby was tired.

The second half was practically over when Green and Onomah came on and injected life into the side. We played well once they were on and they both likely should have started this game. Bruce needs to be more dynamic and I don't care if that's not his style it's the 21st century you adapt or die.. Like I said there were many many positives here and the result should have been a win to us, but alas we didn't adapt when Hull came at us in the opening 15 minutes of the second half and it hurt us.

Still a better start than Newcastle had last season so all is not lost yet, but I expect a far better for a whole 90 minutes next Saturday though..

• Like 2

the first 20 minutes were good, the rest were depressingly familar.

how can bruce not know his best formation and more importantly his best midfield after all this time?

then to sit back and try and protect 1-0 , at home . jesus.

bacuna was a total passenger. lansbury is not a number 10 .   hutton cannot pass. 

we have _no system_. 

and that  last five minutes was a feckin shambles. hutton hoofing the ball vertically to samba . awful awful stuff. 

• Like 1

Now now lads, don't be so negative, Bruce knows what he's doing. I'm told he'll soon start working on our attacking play.

God that was awful. Bacuna has got to be the worst ever player to wear the shirt.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

We just need to be careful about overreacting.......

To be fair, I think people are more worried that it all looks WAY too much like last season.

Both with some of the players, and tactics, subs etc.

2 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

Bruce bashing is boring. We had so many chances. He cant put tnem away can he.

Could have been 4 up at half time.

If he is setting us up to not create then fair enough but he is. Christ sake 

I agree, he chucked Green on and was an empty goal away from winning it for him.

3 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

Bruce bashing is boring. We had so many chances. He cant put tnem away can he.

Could have been 4 up at half time.

If he is setting us up to not create then fair enough but he is. Christ sake 

The only thing more boring is the Bacuna bashing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I don't want to see Bacuna play another game for this club. He's been a passenger for 4 **** years,

I just don't see what Bruce sees in him. 

• Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair, I think people are more worried that it all looks WAY too much like last season.

Both with some of the players, and tactics, subs etc.

Except it's the first game and we are missing our star striker. Five games plus in and it's the same I will be concerned. Really annoyed about the result but the bottom line is we don't take our chances.

• Like 1

Same shit, different season.

I have nothing but faith and morbid curiosity for the fans who continue to pay good money to watch that absolute shower. 

It just never changes. Start well, play shit, finish desperately.

2 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

I thought I had seen it all on Bruce's last comedy roadshow, but long balls to Samba up top. That's a  hell of a new addition for 2017.

Why, last couple of minutes EVERY team goal long ball if they are chasing the win, Bruce is an idiot for bringing an aerial threat on to win the game? But he's also Mr negative who never wants to win so I'm confused...

• Like 2

Think the subs were made too late. Should've changed things up between 50-55 mins even just to break up the hull momentum. 

We need a 2nd clinical striker after kodjia. Hogan still has to convince me he's that man. 

Decent performance considering we're missing both our most creative player and best striker from last season.

Oh and Bacuna had a mare. 

• Like 1

We should count ourselves lucky their manager decided to take off Campbell and bring a defender on when they were bossing the game.

Lansbury the biggest disappointment for me. Never seems willing to bust a gut to win a ball or take up a position.

Bruce’s tactics after bringing Samba on nothing short of embarrassing.

Â