Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Hull

limpid

Match Polls  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Perfomance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/08/17 at 18:45

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

For the majority we were tight at the back and created chances up front. Sub comes on with a golden chance to win it. Not sure how people can criticise SB.

You're joking right? We played okay first half, then usual piss poor second half, but it never ever looks like we are in any sort of control. We aren't able to string together more than a couple of passes before someone hoofs it away. There just isn't any confidence, and Bruce doesn't seem to be able to instill any.

I suggest you take a look at the Fulham - Norwich game, which actually looked like a game of football.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

Except it's the first game and we are missing our star striker. Five games plus in and it's the same I will be concerned. Really annoyed about the result but the bottom line is we don't take our chances.

Is that not similar to last season? When on top we failed to take chances, gave the ball away needlessly, and at other times were just straight crap.

With the money we have spent, missing our "Star striker" shouldn't necessarily be an excuse for some of our complacency.

Hogan should be a "star striker" in theory. I thought one of the reasons for the squad improvement was to lessen reliance on Kodjia?

Anyway i'm deviating from the point, eventually, those 1 pointers which could/should have been 3 points come back to haunt you in the end.

Of course there are positives, and I would usually be one of the people saying EXACTLY what you just have in your post, BUT this isn't our first rodeo.

If we played a team better than Hull today I feel like we would have lost. (Although we sometimes have a knack of raising our game against better opposition)

I DESPERATELY WANT US TO GO UP.

I don't think there is any room for "Mr. NiceGuy"

No one is saying anything is set in stone, however we are seeing certain signs of things which aided to our undoing, Bruce STILL takes too long to make changes etc.

I don't see anything wrong with that nervousness some have.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

Can't even begin to say how bad Bruce is, I can't get a refund for my ticket but as soon as I saw the starting line up I wanted to walk out. I then put on talk sport and here Stuart Pearce being part of the old boys network saying how good a manager he is. For my own mental health and blood pressure I can't watch that team under that manager.

i know people will say it's only the first game but I can see no way this manager will get this team into the top ten. Awful, boring same old crap. 

• Like 3

I know it's obvious but 2 things were very evident. Firstly, we are awful at killing off games when we are on top. If we expect to go up we need to be much more ruthless. Secondly, we were blowing after 50 minutes. All this talk of how hard the training for pre season had been but we handed back the momentum to them in the second half and allowed them into the game.

On a sidenote, Hutton was excellent and definitely deserved MOTM.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vreitti said:

You're joking right? We played okay first half, then usual piss poor second half, but it never ever looks like we are in any sort of control. We aren't able to string together more than a couple of passes before someone hoofs it away. There just isn't any confidence, and Bruce doesn't seem to be able to instill any.

I suggest you take a look at the Fulham - Norwich game, which actually looked like a game of football.

Bruce probably needs to do some extra drills of second half passing in training then... even though we had a golden chance to win it with the player he brought on just before, hmmm.

2 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

They are a average/poor side who we can't beat at home

Compared to who? Man Utd? Yeah they're poor, but Man Utd aren't in the same division as we are.

4 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I'm not sure why people think we have a divine right to beat Hull, they were a premier league team last year, there are at least 12-15 worse teams in that league.

Their relegated PL side was pillaged, and they don't have as single decent player left. They'll be in the bottom 5 or 6 this season.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

Bruce probably needs to do some extra drills of second half passing in training then... even though we had a golden chance to win it with the player he brought on just before, hmmm.

Yeah I agree, we had some chances to nick a win. Some of the chances were lucky, some were the result of decent build up. My main gripe is we don't look like a team capable of playing good enough football for promotion, not even close.

Sure it's the first game and all, but we look exactly the same as last season. We finished 13th.

good first 20 mins/half hour then usual sitting back failed us. Bruce is not to fully blame but he does seem to encourage sitting on a lead rather than going for it. Like the look of how Elmo plays, can be direct and seems to even know how to cross occasionally which is refreshing. Gabby did well for the goal and about 10 mins after that but in truth he should not be a definite starter, knackered, Bacuna should be no where near the team what so ever. Goal keeper, defence, Whelan/Jedi (one or other or maybe together as sitting midfielders) and Elmo are starters, know what to do, reliable but the rest needs sorting and help from the management with a system and way to attack, an identity/way of playing, was hoping we might have been working on that preseason. At the moment we look a bit hit and hope up top. Although must say that Hogan ran his socks off, tried his very best and made some very intelligent little runs and passes. He should be starting but needs the rest of the attack to work with him on how they get him in on goal. 

41 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Very good first half, unfortunately (or fortunately) missed the second.

I'm disappointed that Terry allowed them to score.

Pretty sure Terry is too.

Kinda lost the pre-season hope and positivity when I saw Bacuna on the teamsheet. Draw against Hull is hardly the end of the world. Gabby took his goal well, we started really brightly. Gabby, Green, Onomah all missed good chances.

Starting Bacuna over Hourihane or Green was ridiculous imho. Gabby did well 1st half obviously but the difference to us going forward was plain for us all to see when Green came on. I don't know what Green has done wrong in the eyes of the footie gods but off the top of my head he could have had 4/5 goals for us by now. post, crossbar and now missing a sitter. He'll be seeing that a few times when he shuts his eyes tonight I reckon. It will come though Andre.

Just a shame though not surrising Bruce didn't go for it a bit more on the first day for me. Too cautious from the off imo. And too late with the subs. Not fussed about him bringing Samba on for a minute or 2 chasing a goal. shame no one got to his knock downs. Baffling to me that he took Hogan off when we wanted a goal.

Having said all that. Infinitely better than clinging on against Sheff Weds this time last year. Looked pretty solid. Enjoyed watching Whelan today unlike most of you then. Everyone had their moments. Onomah looked ok. Green changed the momentum of the second half, Hogan made a nice little chance for himself and ran and ran, Gabby looked rejuvenated, Elmohamady looked tidy again, we even got some end product from Hutton.

• Like 3

Â