Park Life: AVTV Live

Villaphan04

2 hours ago, villan_007 said:

It's not 6 quid for people abroad though is it. I would have liked a service for international fans to be priced accordingly in their specific currency. It doesn't take into consideration any research into exchange rates and value for money in that country, which I don't think would have taken the club too much time to have worked out.

The survey a lot of us filled out regarding pricing, doesn't seem to be taken into consideration.

Still it's something we didn't have last season. So stump up or listen to a radio stream.

I'll be paying and having a good old moan to myself.

I can't tell if you're being serious about exchange rates or not? What next, should the club take into the account the relative economic growth of each member nation?

Wait, you actually said that...

It's literally £6 no matter where you are in the world. Exchange rates are a naff system I agree, but Tony Xia didn't invent free market capitalism. Besides which the pound is tanking so actually you're 'quids' in at the moment. ;) 

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I can't tell if you're being serious about exchange rates or not? What next, should the club take into the account the relative economic growth of each member nation?

Wait, you actually said that...

It's literally £6 no matter where you are in the world. Exchange rates are a naff system I agree, but Tony Xia didn't invent free market capitalism. Besides which the pound is tanking so actually you're 'quids' in at the moment. ;) 

Economics isn't my thing as you've probably guessed. You learn something new everyday so let me know if what I'm saying is stupid.

I guess I mean for me it's going to be 11 dollars a game. Which is a little cheaper than a monthly fee for say Netflix here.

Don't get me wrong, over the yrs I've paid ridiculous fees for any means necessary to get to watch the Villa since leaving the UK, and I'll pay this. But all up, in comparison to other things, I guess the same as in the states, I think it's not great value for a championship team, who has served up utter cack for 5 plus yrs.

This is also the first time in my life I'm sounding proper tight. I don't know. I thought maybe as it's pretty much exclusively for international fans it might have been priced per country. Hold my hands up if that's a ridiculous request.

its quite ironic that I would happily pay £6 to watch a game I couldn't otherwise get to. However, as I am in the UK, albeit across the sea, I will have to source other, free alternatives which the club will not benefit from and I will feel marginally guilty for doing

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

Also it depends on the quality they serve up. With other "different channels" shall we say being free, and villas AVTV history being really poor. Will it be VFM.

I think it completely depends on the quality of what they show but assuming it's any good £6 a match seems pretty reasonable to me and I was expecting a bit more.

Put into context, I have one of the cheaper season tickets at Villa Park and it works out at roughly £18 per match. So someone watching on this new platform would get 3 matches for the price a season ticket holder is currently paying. 

That's also assuming that you're the only person watching. Got a couple of mates/members of family who are also into watching/supporting Villa and it'll become £2 per person. 

It strikes me as wanting something for nothing if £6 a game is being considered too expensive. Just my opinion though and don't mean to offend anybody.

43 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

Economics isn't my thing as you've probably guessed. You learn something new everyday so let me know if what I'm saying is stupid.

I guess I mean for me it's going to be 11 dollars a game. Which is a little cheaper than a monthly fee for say Netflix here.

Don't get me wrong, over the yrs I've paid ridiculous fees for any means necessary to get to watch the Villa since leaving the UK, and I'll pay this. But all up, in comparison to other things, I guess the same as in the states, I think it's not great value for a championship team, who has served up utter cack for 5 plus yrs.

This is also the first time in my life I'm sounding proper tight. I don't know. I thought maybe as it's pretty much exclusively for international fans it might have been priced per country. Hold my hands up if that's a ridiculous request.

To put this into perspective I pay £560 a year for my season ticket. On top of that away game tickets cost £20-35 each, plus the cost of travel. That's a choice I make of course and it is a far more rewarding than watching on TV when we win, but it can be a complete and utter drain when we're bad. On top of that I live in London, so I'm paying £20-50 travel per home game. 

Back in the late 90's, or maybe early 2000's they started showing PL games on PPV. They were about £6 each. Compared to baseball this is expensive, but then football is an expensive hobby for fans and owners sad as that is. Baseball has at least 81 games worth of tickets and hot dog sales to make up the difference.

The club has to make ends meet. If fans had their way everything would be cheaper, or even free and suddenly Aston Villa can't compete. I'm not saying they are wrong to want that but it's a problem with football not the club IMO. I no longer support 'twenty's plenty' for example because it would mean 'smaller' clubs outside the PL cannot use match day revenue in order to try and catch up with a club like Villa. I realise this makes me unpopular, but until the top echelons of power are reformed it will only serve to keep smaller clubs down. Much like FFP.

I know I've drifted slightly off topic, but all feels part of the same problem to me. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, villan_007 said:

It's not 6 quid for people abroad though is it. I would have liked a service for international fans to be priced accordingly in their specific currency. It doesn't take into consideration any research into exchange rates and value for money in that country, which I don't think would have taken the club too much time to have worked out.

The survey a lot of us filled out regarding pricing, doesn't seem to be taken into consideration.

Still it's something we didn't have last season. So stump up or listen to a radio stream.

I'll be paying and having a good old moan to myself.

Actually looks very cheap in Australia if it actually works out at $175 AU....

Australia avtv price $175, minumim wage $18.29 = 9.56 hours of minimum wage work to pay for the season

Compare this to other places :

USA avtv price $144, minumim wage $9.20 = 15.65 hours of minimim wage work to pay for the season

Bit harder to work out for the EU with differing rates but Germany is below

Germany avtv price €122 , minumim wage €8.84= 13.8 hours of minimim wage work to pay for the season

compare that to if it was available in the UK..

UK avtv price £110 , minumim wage £7.50 = 14.66 hours of minimim wage work to pay for the season

Prices (other than AU) are all fairly similar converted to what people may actually earn locally.

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

So, eh, once again caught between a rock and a hard place.  Being foreign but not being foreign enough to see the **** matches.  What's our option?  We're not beholden to that 3pm Saturday blackout rule.  We get live Sky matches on Saturday at 3pm for example.  So what's the problem?  What do we do with the estimated "20-25" games that are not televised?  Why the **** can't we see those?

And they wonder why people go to 'great lengths' to plug a gap for a product they literally couldn't buy even if they wanted do.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Actually looks very cheap in Australia if it actually works out at $175 AU....

Australia avtv price $175, minumim wage $18.29 = 9.56 hours of minimum wage work to pay for the season

Compare this to other places :

USA avtv price $144, minumim wage $9.20 = 15.65 hours of minimim wage work to pay for the season

Bit harder to work out for the EU with differing rates but Germany is below

Germany avtv price €122 , minumim wage €8.84= 13.8 hours of minimim wage work to pay for the season

compare that to if it was available in the UK..

UK avtv price £110 , minumim wage £7.50 = 14.66 hours of minimim wage work to pay for the season

Prices (other than AU) are all fairly similar converted to what people may actually earn locally.

I love VT. Someone able to bring a different angle to every topic :D

17 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

To put this into perspective I pay £560 a year for my season ticket. On top of that away game tickets cost £20-35 each, plus the cost of travel. That's a choice I make of course and it is a far more rewarding than watching on TV when we win, but it can be a complete and utter drain when we're bad. On top of that I live in London, so I'm paying £20-50 travel per home game. 

Back in the late 90's, or maybe early 2000's they started showing PL games on PPV. They were about £6 each. Compared to baseball this is expensive, but then football is an expensive hobby for fans and owners sad as that is. Baseball has at least 81 games worth of tickets and hot dog sales to make up the difference.

The club has to make ends meet. If fans had their way everything would be cheaper, or even free and suddenly Aston Villa can't compete. I'm not saying they are wrong to want that but it's a problem with football not the club IMO. I no longer support 'twenty's plenty' for example because it would mean 'smaller' clubs outside the PL cannot use match day revenue in order to try and catch up with a club like Villa. I realise this makes me unpopular, but until the top echelons of power are reformed it will only serve to keep smaller clubs down. Much like FFP.

I know I've drifted slightly off topic, but all feels part of the same problem to me. 

I hear you. I've been back in Australia for 3 yrs, after Living in Epsom working in London. I went to the majority of away games and those days cost a wedge. It hurts more watching the utter drivel that was being served up.

On reflection it's a fair price. Hopefully this season will be the first in a while it feels like money well spent.

Of course it's cheap if you consider the price in isolation, compare to match day ticket, or even to price of a couple of pints you'd but if you watched game in a pub. I'll buy this, but paying separately for various sports/TV services becomes expensive. To watch my three favourite teams/sports I pay £13 per month for this, €20 for ESPN college pass, €20 for NBA league pass, plus possibly some other local sports channels here to watch some premier league and champions league games every now and then. It easily becomes €80 per month for watching sports at home. I think the price point for avtv live is just about right but if I can't watch games on demand (I certainly would have need for that and would expect that from a paid service - anyone know if that's possible?, I can't find info) it makes me think twice if I should just keep watching free streams. On demand service would definitely make me buy this. 

5 hours ago, bojong said:

Of course it's cheap if you consider the price in isolation, compare to match day ticket, or even to price of a couple of pints you'd but if you watched game in a pub. I'll buy this, but paying separately for various sports/TV services becomes expensive. To watch my three favourite teams/sports I pay £13 per month for this, €20 for ESPN college pass, €20 for NBA league pass, plus possibly some other local sports channels here to watch some premier league and champions league games every now and then. It easily becomes €80 per month for watching sports at home. I think the price point for avtv live is just about right but if I can't watch games on demand (I certainly would have need for that and would expect that from a paid service - anyone know if that's possible?, I can't find info) it makes me think twice if I should just keep watching free streams. On demand service would definitely make me buy this. 

thats why you should only follow Villa. Much cheaper ;)

I still want more information. I will be buying it regardless.. but surely theres preview show or something before the games? Be boring otherwise waiting till 2am for a match to start.....

To me those prices are expensive.

£13 a month is a lot for a couple of Championship football matches.

I know it's not a huge amount of money, and if I didn't have a season ticket I'd definitely pay it.

But if you compare it to other TV services then it's steep.

I imagine its (partially) expensive, because they had to negotiate a custom agreement with the existing international rights holder (not sure who that is). No other club is doing this in the Championship so I guess they could charge whatever they liked to AVFC to test the waters.

Also I imagine the company providing the streaming infrastructure charged a high price also. 

We (me personally also) asked Tony for this, and he got it done, so I will happily pay above market rates for it without any complaints.

I don't think you should compare it to other TV services. This is made for a very limited audience with "too large" costs. Villa isn't a TV company.

Well, anyways, will be paying gladly, no question. Nothing else on TV comes anywhere close to what I can get from this. Thank you. Finally. 

• Like 1

On 31/07/2017 at 10:56, villan_007 said:

Just to continue the 'pound vs Euro/Dollar/other' convo, I pay £7.49 monthly for Netflix in England, so the cost compared to other TV services is likely similar across the different currencies. I'll probably pay for the odd away game, being a season ticket holder for home games anyway.

I'll be getting it... Don't think £6 a game is too much. I'm sure I paid about £9 a game for some individual games via sky/now tv last year. It beats fiddling around for a crappy stream for half hour and missing half the game. Also like others have said it's less than ill spend on my first pint if I watch it down the pub now.. Just...Games will be available that aren't on down the pub as well, so for some of us it's the only way to watch, and watch games we couldn't last year. To put it into perspective they need 10000 people watching each game just to cover gabby's wages alone for the match,... Get rid of gabby and we could all have it for free.. Now there's an idea... 

• Like 1