Old Villa Blues games and those feelings !

MYSTERYMAN

I know there is a thread for a prediction of Sunday but me being superstitious would never predict a score I am more likely to say we would lose just as a back up .

I look back at old games like 1982 we were European Cup Winners playing a ram shackle outfit of misfits and club brawlers yet got stuffed 3 nil on boxing day , was there ever a more miserable xmas ?

Or the 87 game in the old second division we were awful and again got beat 2 nil at home or one when I was convinced we would batter them in 76 we had Andy Gray scoring for fun we were flying and lost at home 2 1 . Hard to describe how I felt getting on that number 11 bus back home and all those blue and white scarfes on the bus felt sick .

But nothing was quite like losing my first derby 1976 at their place we lost 3 2 Chico Hamilton missed a sitter and Terry Hibbit scored a rocket . Nothing compared to that feeling it lasted weeks back at school it was merciless , don't want that feeling again and those youngsters who witnessed it in 2002 for the first time can understand how important this game is . Yes it isn't a cup final and it isn't a relegation or european place game but its close in terms of how you feel .

My 1st derby game was 1993/94 in the carling cup. We battered them that night and hit the post 2/3 times. However they did have an infamous penalty saved by Bosnich who duly waved to their crowd. Loved it when Richardson scored in the last few minutes to win 1-0.

The only derby game I have missed so far is the Enkleman game. We really struggled in these derby matches during their 1st 3 years in the Prem, but was good to put the ghost to bed in style the other year with the double which helped send them down.

Was a great feeling that day at St Andrews when Phillips scored. A few of my blues mates have told me they have never heard such a loud celebration when that goal went in.

Worst feeling has to be Stern John in the 94th minute. You could hear a pin drop in the Holte End that day - horrible!!!

Looking forward to Sunday now, just hope we turn up on the day!

First derby game was in the 80/81 season at VP - Peter Withe was out (suspended) and David Geddis was up front with Gary Shaw. He filled the breech admirably scoring two in a three nil win.

First away game - season after - couldn't believe how run down St Andrews was - the number of Villa Fans that turned out, the rivers of piss running down the terrace, and the walk back into town with thousands of Villans with it kicking off everywhere, especially under Masshouse Circus.

First one I can remember was the Bosnich-penalty-save one in the League Cup.

the first one I went to was the 2-2 or the 1-2 (where Sorensen let Morrison's shot slip through his grasp) at home - cant remember which one was first.

Also went to the 0-2 at their place when again we should have battered them.

Keeping myself well away this time, I'm a jinx!

Was a great feeling that day at St Andrews when Phillips scored. A few of my blues mates have told me they have never heard such a loud celebration when that goal went in.

Ye I was there and I'm not sure i've ever celebrated a goal like that before

or one when I was convinced we would batter them in 76 we had Andy Gray scoring for fun we were flying and lost at home 2 1

My first.

I remember a 1-0 at their place a season or two later, same day that WBA beat Coventry 7-1 I think....Memory is a tricky bedmate

I know there is a thread for a prediction of Sunday but me being superstitious would never predict a score I am more likely to say we would lose just as a back up .

I look back at old games like 1982 we were European Cup Winners playing a ram shackle outfit of misfits and club brawlers yet got stuffed 3 nil on boxing day , was there ever a more miserable xmas ?

Or the 87 game in the old second division we were awful and again got beat 2 nil at home or one when I was convinced we would batter them in 76 we had Andy Gray scoring for fun we were flying and lost at home 2 1 . Hard to describe how I felt getting on that number 11 bus back home and all those blue and white scarfes on the bus felt sick .

I was at all those games, IIRC the 0-3 at the Sty was the one when Noel Blake got pelted with about a grands worth of loose change :-)

That was the one Rob, Aye. I think it was the noses biggest crowd for absolutely yonks, Saunders had recently gone to them, and Blake got bombarded when he was preparinmg to take the penalty they got (which he scored) to go 3 up.

It was pretty evil that day.

That was the one Rob, Aye. I think it was the noses biggest crowd for absolutely yonks, Saunders had recently gone to them, and Blake got bombarded when he was preparinmg to take the penalty they got (which he scored) to go 3 up.

Indeed it was, I remember being very thankful of getting on our coach in one piece. Came on the back of us getting stuffed by Liverpool on a frozen pitch 4-2 IIRC. A game that was played as it was live on the box, one of the first times a league game was again IIRC.

Made up for it by beating them in the return game where a certain Alan Curbishley made his debut.

My first was when Peter Withe put the ball between Coton's legs in 1983(I think). Got absolutely soaked on the way to VP as well!

I was at the 0-3 game when Enckleman cocked up. I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me!! I had to go to work at Rover the next day as well, all the noses were in raptures, what a nightmare, scarves hanging off the tracks!!

my only memories of them have been the recent ones, but bloody hell enough talking points! In three years in the prem and just 6 games:

enckleman, dion-savage + joey g, stern john :(:(:(:(

skv, cahill and co :):)

another memorable win to equal it out please

Indeed it was, I remember being very thankful of getting on our coach in one piece. Came on the back of us getting stuffed by Liverpool on a frozen pitch 4-2 IIRC. A game that was played as it was live on the box, one of the first times a league game was again IIRC.

Made up for it by beating them in the return game where a certain Alan Curbishley made his debut.

I'm amazed if either of the Liverpool or Small Heath games was on the box. I've got both programmes somewhere, but I thought it was before live footy. Might well be wrong, though. I often am.

Worst feeling has to be Stern John in the 94th minute. You could hear a pin drop in the Holte End that day - horrible!!!

That actually felt worse than the four defeats in the two seasons either side, IMO.

I remember the 2 league cup games home and away, we beat them 7-0 on agg and some of the scum burnt there scarfs on the North Stand Steps.

Plus 6 nil in the Simod cup they couldn't handle us from set pieces back then and the likes of Andy Gray and Kevin Gage were like dogs of war in the cup games .

That 2 nil at their place was the only time I have ever seen more away supporters at a Brum derby than home fans , couldn't believe it .