U23 Development League 2017/2018

BOF

19 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Blackett-Taylor's crossing is awful.

He seems to have the beating of his man every time I've seen him, and quite easily too, but then he never manages to find anybody with the resulting cross. Hopefully he can improve on that aspect because then he'd be some player.

A bit disappointing in the end, but important to remember that U23 football doesn't matter in and of itself, except as a means to an end of bringing through talented youngsters, and from that perspective this season has been a major success. A lot of young players have shone, played a lot of matches, built a tremendous team spirit, and placed themselves in the spotlight. 

This cloud has a big silver lining. 

A pity that, I thought the first half was pretty even, no complaints about Brighton coming in 1-0 up - then we started the second half well and scored the equaliser which was disallowed. I haven't got a clue whether RHM was offside from where I was sat, but he clearly felt he wasn't, a moment later he was absolutely crunched with a knee in the back which the ref didn't give and our players lost a little concentration - feeling hard done by lead to losing shape a little and letting Brighton score a second - from there we huffed and puffed and never really looked like blowing their house down, while they looked like they might add one on the break. Even enough game, terrible ref, no complaints from me on the result, well done Brighton, better team on the day.

I thought Doyle-Hayes was excellent again and it's nice to hear RHM has been nominated for PL2 player of the season.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:The club have said that parking is available in the North stand car park - once that's full, the staff car park just past Witton station is open.

Thanks. The North Stand car park was full so, as you stated, we were redirected to the staff car park the other side of Wilton Station, free and only a 5 minute walk.

Pity Hepburn Murphy's goal was incorrectly ruled out for offside. It could have been a different game at 1-1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

but important to remember that U23 football doesn't matter in and of itself, except as a means to an end of bringing through talented youngsters, and from that perspective this season has been a major success. A lot of young players have shone, played a lot of matches, built a tremendous team spirit, and placed themselves in the spotlight.

I don't follow your logic. You say it's to bring through talented youngsters but that it doesn't matter. Surely playing next season against a higher level of opposition would be extremely important to the long term development of any talented players we bring through? This loss consigns them to the same standard as this year. And as for team spirit. That's what I actually think doesn't matter in youth football. I go back to the youth side who beat an Everton team containing Wayne Rooney. Youth football is about developing the player. And today did very much matter to that end. I hope the PL are happy that even in some small way they were able to help the Premier League club be promoted. 

28 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

A pity that, I thought the first half was pretty even, no complaints about Brighton coming in 1-0 up - then we started the second half well and scored the equaliser which was disallowed. I haven't got a clue whether RHM was offside from where I was sat, but he clearly felt he wasn't, a moment later he was absolutely crunched with a knee in the back which the ref didn't give and our players lost a little concentration - feeling hard done by lead to losing shape a little and letting Brighton score a second - from there we huffed and puffed and never really looked like blowing their house down, while they looked like they might add one on the break. Even enough game, terrible ref, no complaints from me on the result, well done Brighton, better team on the day.

I thought Doyle-Hayes was excellent again and it's nice to hear RHM has been nominated for PL2 player of the season.

RHM's disallowed goal was not offside. Not only was he half a yard behind the defender, he was behind Green when the pass was made. Poor from the assistant ref, especially given the benefit of doubt should be given to the attacking team.

IMG_4gphsi.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BOF said:

I don't follow your logic. You say it's to bring through talented youngsters but that it doesn't matter. Surely playing next season against a higher level of opposition would be extremely important to the long term development of any talented players we bring through? This loss consigns them to the same standard as this year. And as for team spirit. That's what I actually think doesn't matter in youth football. I go back to the youth side who beat an Everton team containing Wayne Rooney. Youth football is about developing the player. And today did very much matter to that end. I hope the PL are happy that even in some small way they were able to help the Premier League club be promoted. 

I mean that the results don't matter, except in as much as they affect player development. And yes, it's perfectly plausible that playing at a higher level would help them improve further, but it's also possible that winning nearly every week builds self-belief in ways that matter too. 

Anyway, I'm not looking for an argument. More than happy to agree to disagree. 

On 12/05/2018 at 15:36, HanoiVillan said:

And yes, it's perfectly plausible that playing at a higher level would help them improve further, but it's also possible that winning nearly every week builds self-belief in ways that matter too.

On this we definitely will agree to disagree.

On 12/05/2018 at 15:36, HanoiVillan said:

Anyway, I'm not looking for an argument.

Me neither.  I just thought we were having a discussion :blink:

Not quite at the races Saturday. Play was evenish first half with Brighton having the better chances, we faded second half. Brighton deserved the win.

RHM unlucky, Doyle-Hayes neat-and-tidy, Green looked the most polish of our players (just his crossing was hit-and-miss).

Blackett-Taylor is a strange one. Could well be a good player once he grows into his legs.

Mitch Clark had nothing left to give in the last 10 minutes, very noticeable right footed at left back.

Also, well done to the Brighton fans, they had a couple of coaches up from the coast.

Amazed that mostly everyone left with ten minutes to go, admittedly the game was gone, but beating the traffic with only 1000 or so in attendance is laughable.

Leaving early must be the norm now for any game.