Pre-Match Thread

Raver50032

Well... I'll be straight up with you folks, really don't know what to expect from this game. Seems like Hull City might have a completely different look to them from what got relegated so no idea if they are expecting to 'tear up the league' like Middlesbrough or flounder a little. Hopefully for us, it will be the latter on this occasion and we can get off to a flier, live and exclusive on Sky Sports and sundry streaming sites. I worry for Bruce if we don't get all three points, and I worry for the confidence of the team. The Germany experience has been good, but our Summer run outs have been a little red face, and no poke.

August isn't an easy month, if there ever is such a thing in this cauldron of peril. Any wagers on what the 'walk on' music will be? Will there be reasonably warm water from the taps in the gents? Will there be loo roll? New Season, always lots to think about.

And where the hell is my season card? Less than two weeks to go... Grrrrrr... COYVB.  

Can't wait for this, first game of the season is  always a great occasion. I'm sure that Bruce will love to get a result against his former club. 

Team: Johnstone

Hutton Chester Terry Taylor

Lansbury Whelan Hourihane

Elmohamedy Kodjia Green

Suhs: Bunn, Jedinak, Adomah, Agbonlahor, Grealish, Elphick, Baker

2-1 Villa, Kodjia to get both

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Can't wait for this, first game of the season is  always a great occasion. I'm sure that Bruce will love to get a result against his former club. 

Team: Johnstone

Hutton Chester Terry Taylor

Lansbury Whelan Hourihane

Elmohamedy Kodjia Green

Suhs: Bunn, Jedinak, Adomah, Agbonlahor, Grealish, Elphick, Baker

2-1 Villa, Kodjia to get both

scotty.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder if given the changes at Hull (second season running) might result in a double dip relegation. They were promoted last year with barely any players by the start of the 16/17 PL campaign. And now they've dropped a level again and likely start with a much different looking eleven. It's an unknown quantity. On opening day, sometimes the underdogs spit bullets. Tony Moon at Arsenal anyone?

I just don't have the confidence to be cock-sure about this fixture. I'm always excited, but nervy about going into a new season, whether the club have high hopes or less so. I can remember the start of 1992/93 and drawing away to Ipswich on the first day of the season and thinking we were going to have it tough that season.

Edited by Raver50032

23 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Is Kodjia back for this one? I didn't think he was ready.

Not played any games in pre season so I'd expect him to be missing for this , and maybe a couple more - should hopefully be back in the team sometime in August though so not as bad as first feared.

21 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Hull have sold all their best players and the fans hate the owner so I can't see much of a promotion bounce this year. 1-0 Villa. Terry and Brucey to be pleased with clean sheet.

4-0 villa - off to a flier and top of the table :) 

• Like 1

They're much worse off than we were last year, and that is saying something. At least we were coming out of the turmoil, they're still stuck in the mire. 

I think we have an advantage as Bruce knows a lot of their players inside out, and he's even signed one of their best players.

As said in the line up thread, I think we'll line up something like this (not necessarily what I would choose, but what I think will happen):

Johnstone

Bree     Terry    Chester   Taylor

Lansbury  Whelan

Elmo           Grealish          Green

Hogan

On 26/07/2017 at 18:59, Eastie said:

4-0 villa - off to a flier and top of the table :) 

I must have missed the bit where we signed a goalscorer. :)

Always tough to predict games early in the season but I'll go with 0-0 on the basis that we are looking ok at the back but rather clueless up front. Just as we were without Kodjia last season.

Unless and until we get another striker in, I don't see us scoring too many this season. We have no creativity and nobody to score goals apart from JK.

Edited by One For The Road

If we're only going to start with one striker it has to be Hogan. Yes Gabby looks hungry and has impressed during pre season but I just don't think he offers enough of a goal threat which to me Hogan does.

Bring Gabby on for the last 20 to run at tired defenders.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, macandally said:

i don't think this will be as easy as people think.

Who thinks that? You'd have to be totally ignorant of reality to think that it will be an easy game for us. 

Edited by One For The Road