PES 18

PieFacE

Anyone playing the PES 2018 online beta?

First time playing PES, usually a FIFA player and i'm liking it .

The thing that has drawn me to PES this year is the fact that they are introducing ranked 2v2 (about time!), and ranked 3v3. You can create clans and stuff so that should be cool.

I feel like the physics are better in FIFA, it's really hard to judge the flight of the ball when it's in the air. But the passing is much better on PES and feels less "assisted".

Defending i'm uncertain about, it seems there's a bit of an issue with getting a player like Neymar for example, and just running through everyone. A lot of goals are scored this way. Dunno if it's just FIFA noobs like myself not knowing what they are doing.

There is an element of "randomness" to PES which i'm not sure if I like.

Will definitely be buying this year and giving it a go instead of FIFA. 

I've finally decided to try PES for the first time this year, fed up of the same old FIFA game every year and fancied a change.

Saw a pre-order offer for this at £34.85, here. Anyone found anything better?

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'll be skipping this one.

Got a lot of enjoyment out of PES 16 but barely touched 17.

I actually preferred 17 a lot more gameplay wise but I similarly got bored of it very quickly (and thus played 16 more), the master league is unplayable after 4 seasons. You end up with virtually no budget for wages, your players want exponential increases in salary and it's no fun buying players, there just isn't the quality of regen out there apart from the recycled players who go into the youth team, and that makes scouting pointless, I mean, I really wonder if that 16 year old 'Iniesta' is going to become a good player or not?

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

22 minutes ago, Chindie said:

PES has always done the regen legends hasn't it? I remember playing 4 and having a regen DiCanio dominate Master League.

It's not ideal but it's a quirk of the series that's always been there I think.

It's too easy to get them though.

You get a handful appear in your youth team every transfer window. You can make zero signings and have a team full of incredible 19 year old regens.

And if you do make signings you know exactly who to go for.

Just seems too easy.

I think it makes the master league absolutely pathetic, it's unrealistic and stupid, and smacks of lazy programming, they can't be arsed to release a proper batch of regens each season, it's not hard to do at all from a programming perspective.

The 'legends' retirement match that it forces you to play (or skip) each season is **** stupid as well, it's a game designed by people who have absolutely no clue about football. Who on earth thinks that is a good idea and adds any value to anything?

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think it makes the master league absolutely pathetic, it's unrealistic and stupid, and smacks of lazy programming, they can't be arsed to release a proper batch of regens each season, it's not hard to do at all from a programming perspective.

The 'legends' retirement match that it forces you to play (or skip) each season is **** stupid as well, it's a game designed by people who have absolutely no clue about football. Who on earth thinks that is a good idea and adds any value to anything?

Like I've said again and again.

Apart from the actual football gameplay, PES feels like a game designed by people who have never watched football in their lives.

Bought this game insetad of FIFA this year and I'm not really very impressed with it. Need more time on it but it feels so sluggish and unresponsive compared to FIFA.

Player switching is horrible.

Edited by PieFacE

Got to agree with @PieFacE here. Just played a couple of games online. The controls are really sluggish and it seems impossible to play a passing game. Press press press. The defending is pretty awful too, as per usual. It's impossible to stop some players.

Maybe I just hate losing too much and it's turning me off the game.

On 9/12/2017 at 14:00, Dr_Pangloss said:

An easy upgrade to this is to simply change the names of the retired regens (and give them a generic face). Literally like 2 or 3 lines of code :lol: .  Just that slight tweak, while not ideal is enough to transform the Master League into something enjoyable past season 4. Seriously,  there couldn't be a bigger contrast between the gameplay and the rest of the game design. It's like these games were designed by 10 year olds. 

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 1

OK so to be a total hypocrite, I was bored last night and decided to buy this. First impression are that it is.... interesting. It's quite hard to get the hang of. I've started the master league on superstar level with the 'originals'. I lost my first 3 games heavily but turned a corner and won my 4th, that's all I've played. There's a handful of new things to learn, such as 'jostling'. It seems harder to win a header than ever before for that reason. The game is also seems slower, but the passing is much improved, I thought it was pretty awful in the last game, this time around the through balls (triangle or L1+triangle) are a lot better to execute. 

Some obvious new features include a totally new system for negotiating transfer fees and contracts, you basically have a slider where you can weight different types of contracts (appearance fees, salary, length etc) and see the probability of it being accepted. A big change is release clauses, often players will want them and you find that the upper bound isn't exactly that high. You still have separate salary and transfer budgets, retarded. Oh and the music is shit and something I turned off after half an hour. 

Also it seems like they have really lost out in terms of licensing, there's less kits/ names than ever, at least for the European Leagues. I can't seem to find an option file for it yet, but have read it will cost £5-£10?

On 14/09/2017 at 00:31, villarule123 said:

Got to agree with @PieFacE here. Just played a couple of games online. The controls are really sluggish and it seems impossible to play a passing game. Press press press. The defending is pretty awful too, as per usual. It's impossible to stop some players.

Maybe I just hate losing too much and it's turning me off the game.

Yeah I've realised it's down to playing online.

I had one game yesterday where it was perfect, everything was really responsive.

Every other game i've played other than that one has been a terrible experience. Just too laggy. I really want to like this game, and I love the fact they've brought in a 3v3 mode, but it's just too damn laggy. Needs dedicated servers or something, or some way of region locking.

Disappointed I paid for this really. 

Will be buying FIFA, their online experience is just better.

I find that with every PES or FIFA iteration.

The online play is always hampered by sluggish controls. Every game I played on PES 17 online I came away frustrated because you just can't control your players right. This is on a 50MB connection.

I don't understand how games like Rocket League from much smaller companies can have such flawless online experiences in comparison.

Â