When your car gets clamped

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, peterms said:

Not sure.  You may need to write to the firm to begin with, as the principle in any complaint is to set out your grievance and give them a chance to address it.  Maybe ask CAB about the steps to follow?  They may have advice on what to say, eg indicating what you will do next if they fail to handle your complaint adequately.

Agreed. Of course they are rude and unhelpful Dem, why would they be otherwise? You aren't their client and they want you to go away.

You need to speak to CAB as advised yesterday and initially you will need to push the bailiffs on the points I suggested (in writing) and any other points the CAB suggest.

Only then can you look at the next steps but at the very least if you really want to fight it you need to show them you won't be mugged off. 

Just now, Ingram85 said:

Stressfull situation im sure but stand up for yourself Dem ffs, its infuriating reading this. They don't follow the law, you are gonna get mugged off unless you fight back a bit.

You are right, I just dont know where to start as I have never had anything like this before :(

Just now, Demitri_C said:

You are right, I just dont know where to start as I have never had anything like this before :(

I don't mean to rude Dem but have you spoken to CItizens Advice like people have been suggesting for 24 hours?

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I don't mean it in a chavvy alpha male blokey bloke way or to upset, I'm genuinely pissed off on your behalf mate. These troglodytes don't play by the rules, why should you?

Edited by Ingram85

Just now, TrentVilla said:

I don't mean to rude Dem but have you spoken to CItizens Advice like people have been suggesting for 24 hours?

Not at all mate you have been very helpful. I was on the phone to them yesterday and was awaiting a call back. I will get onto them yesterday 

41 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Can I state in the letter he refused to allow me to take  a photo of his ID?

You can state whatever you like, Dem. You're writing it. Make it clear, truthful and concise - easy to follow points based around the good advice and facts people have outlined above.

Maybe a bit late but try pepipoo.com. The members on there have helped me no end and saved me about £500 in towing fees and parking tickets. One of the members actually came with me to the appeal and had a whole file ready to fight my case. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Sounds promising, delighted to help you on the way. :)

Keep us informed, if you get it back you owe me a beer. Or your Mrs does ;)

Definitely, I will going to the Ipswich game in November so if you are there I will be more than happy to get you one :)

16 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Maybe a bit late but try pepipoo.com. The members on there have helped me no end and saved me about £500 in towing fees and parking tickets. One of the members actually came with me to the appeal and had a whole file ready to fight my case. 

Sounds like he needs to park your car for you  as well :)

Sounds to me, sorry Dem, that if you want fair treatment you're going to have to threaten and be prepared to take legal action. Which is expensive. These words removed can seemingly act with impunity I suspect they'll give you "What are you going to do about it?" type responses to your legitimate complaints.

Another example of how our country exists for the profit for the wealthy, not for good of it's citizens. Whilst I don't want people to park illegally, I don't want them to be bullied and extorted because they've made an honest mistake. 

4 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

Sounds to me, sorry Dem, that if you want fair treatment you're going to have to threaten and be prepared to take legal action. Which is expensive. These words removed can seemingly act with impunity I suspect they'll give you "What are you going to do about it?" type responses to your legitimate complaints.

Another example of how our country exists for the profit for the wealthy, not for good of it's citizens. Whilst I don't want people to park illegally, I don't want them to be bullied and extorted because they've made an honest mistake. 

The thing is I acnt afford massive legal fees for £500 hopefully wont come to that 

44 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Definitely going to fight this now

As well as getting the money back, get some advice on whether they should compensate you for the time you have had to spend on correcting their errors, the mental stress involved etc.

And also consider making formal complaints.  I assume they are employed by the council if it's the council that issued the parking ticket, and certified by the court.  Both bodies should know about the poor conduct and deliberate flouting of the law (or else rank incompetence) involved.

The council will retender the bailiff contract periodically, and things like this will weigh against the firm.  The court have to licence them, and can revoke their licence.  I don't suggest they would do it for this one instance, but unless people formally report these things, then the licensing and procuring authorities simply won't know.  You could complain to the council's legal department, but also cc the councillors representing your ward and those on the relevant committee, pointing out that they are employing a firm whose conduct is causing reputational damage for the council and asking for their view.  Again, unless they hear about things like this, when the contract is up for renewal, the councillors may not know of any reason not to renew it - the officers aren't going to make work for themselves by creating a need to source new firms, so any report recommending renewal may not have info like this.

As well as potentially helping others down the line by making firms like this behave better, it may make you feel better.

Link here.

If a bailiff breaks the rules

If a bailiff breaks the rules, you can make a complaint about them. You can complain directly to the bailiff firm, to your creditor or to the court that employs them. If you're not happy with the response to your complaint, you may be able take it further by complaining to any trade association the bailiff belongs to, or an ombudsman.

You can also take court action to try to get your belongings back if the bailiff hasn't followed the set process or has given you an incorrect notice at any point in the process.

If you're unhappy with the behaviour of an individual bailiff, you can complain to the court. If the court agrees that the bailiff isn't a "fit and proper person" to be a bailiff, they may take away the bailiff's certificate.

Next steps

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, peterms said:

As well as getting the money back, get some advice on whether they should compensate you for the time you have had to spend on correcting their errors, the mental stress involved etc.

And also consider making formal complaints.  I assume they are employed by the council if it's the council that issued the parking ticket, and certified by the court.  Both bodies should know about the poor conduct and deliberate flouting of the law (or else rank incompetence) involved.

The council will retender the bailiff contract periodically, and things like this will weigh against the firm.  The court have to licence them, and can revoke their licence.  I don't suggest they would do it for this one instance, but unless people formally report these things, then the licensing and procuring authorities simply won't know.  You could complain to the council's legal department, but also cc the councillors representing your ward and those on the relevant committee, pointing out that they are employing a firm whose conduct is causing reputational damage for the council and asking for their view.  Again, unless they hear about things like this, when the contract is up for renewal, the councillors may not know of any reason not to renew it - the officers aren't going to make work for themselves by creating a need to source new firms, so any report recommending renewal may not have info like this.

As well as potentially helping others down the line by making firms like this behave better, it may make you feel better.

Link here.

Thanks Peter i will certainly explore this option 

Has anyone got experience with filling a PE2 or PE3? I ma not sure what to put for applicant. Would that be Equita the baliff company or the council who issued the parking ticket? 

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Has anyone got experience with filling a PE2 or PE3? I ma not sure what to put for applicant. Would that be Equita the baliff company or the council who issued the parking ticket?

Wouldn't your gf be the applicant as she's applying for the statutory declaration? Are there not any accompanying notes to help you fill the form in?

Â