When your car gets clamped

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So it turns out after calling the council she has an outstanding parking ticket. Bloody woman! She moved address about 2 years ago and she thought she changed her license address so been going to old address so haven't known about it.

How does it work with the unclamping. Will she have to pay extra for this? 

Most likely they'll charge her around £100 in fees to remove the clamp. I'd start by getting your GF to ask them to show her a screenshot of her account so that you can check it against regulations. They should only be charging you the compliance fee, but are known to add things like "visitation fees", "clamp fees" "removal fees" etc onto their bills.

To make it a bit more scary for them I'd also ask them to provide you with the bailiff registry number of the bailiff that applied your clamp. They've been taken to court over using "runners" before that weren't registered and this is breaking the law. Take a picture of the notice you received and gently warn them that they are not following rules if they didn't do the below.

that they have clamped or immobilised your car
the date and time the car was clamped
that your car has been clamped because you've failed to pay a debt you owe
a 24-hour telephone number you can call if you have any queries
the bailiff's reference number for this action.

I can't stand bailiffs as they once clamped my dad's camper van because he'd not paid the full amount on a £1.30 parking charge, he only had change for £1.20. Despicable human beings.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Most likely they'll charge her around £100 in fees to remove the clamp. I'd start by getting your GF to ask them to show her a screenshot of her account so that you can check it against regulations. They should only be charging you the compliance fee, but are known to add things like "visitation fees", "clamp fees" "removal fees" etc onto their bills.

To make it a bit more scary for them I'd also ask them to provide you with the bailiff registry number of the bailiff that applied your clamp. They've been taken to court over using "runners" before that weren't registered and this is breaking the law. Take a picture of the notice you received and gently warn them that they are not following rules if they didn't do the below.

I can't stand bailiffs as they once clamped my dad's camper van because he'd not paid the full amount on a £1.30 parking charge, he only had change for £1.20. Despicable human beings.

Thanks so much for your help with this mate  

That is a absolute disgrace hope they burn in you know where as that is vile behavior 

Edited by Demitri_C

37 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

How does it work with the unclamping. Will she have to pay extra for this?

I guess so and it's probably better to get it sorted before the car gets removed as that would end up costing a lot more. Make sure they do everything by the book, though - e.g. follow the stuff Davkaus posted and the page he linked to.

I, fortunately, have no direct experience of this so it's all down to a bit of googling, memory of what I remember reading and watching the odd episode of the kind of show @hogso mentioned.

Good luck.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

This sounds like something my Mrs would do...

Took me years to get her to update her license.

If a camera crew turn up Dem let us know :)

Jesus you can't make it up. She says to me I didn't think it was that important to change card license as we still got house and renting it out!

She is just so innocent and relaxed about these things. God knows what the penalty fees are going to be 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Jesus you can't make it up. She says to me I didn't think it was that important to change card license as we still got house and renting it out!

She is just so innocent and relaxed about these things. God knows what the penalty fees are going to be 

Not going to lie Dem, it's going to be expensive.

A word of advice re the other property, I always advise having a postal redirect on a rental property.

It costs but it's a tiny amount out of the annual rental income and can save a lot of issues, this would have been one.

It's saved me other issues though like with utility bills on the rental property.

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

A word of advice re the other property, I always advise having a postal redirect on a rental property.

It costs but it's a tiny amount out of the annual rental income and can save a lot of issues, this would have been one.

It's saved me other issues though like with utility bills on the rental property.

Yeah absolutely mate, I feel for her but she is going to have to pay it unfortunately as we all know these companies do need to see "ignorance as a excuse"

In Cyprus they park anywhere in front of peoples drives on the pavement, gardens and they dont get tickets. In the are instances you get one they dont pay it! So basically opposite of here where you can a ticket for having half a inch on a yellow line at 6.29pm on a saturday night when it would be free at 6.30pm!

6 minutes ago, Xann said:

The DVLA had a mass clamp of illegal vehicles around my work a few months back.

The next day as I was walking in I noticed that some cars were swerving something in the road.

GDskrQM.jpg?1

They're mine now.

Green shorts? Someone call the fashion police !:mrgreen:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

So she has paid the two parking fines in a box junction £190, she just called Equita and the pricks want £513 to release the car! 

He said £220 is a "warranty charge" that is outrageous. Is there anything we can do? 

Cant I just unclamped it myself with bolt cutters now the fines have been paid? 

Edited by Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So she has paid the two parking fines in a box junction £190, she just called Equita and the pricks want £513 to release the car! 

He said £220 is a "warranty charge" that is outrageous. Is there anything we can do? 

Cant I just unclamped it myself with bolt cutters now the fines have been paid? 

It will be criminal damage Dem.

This is all that was put on the car

No date or time the time was clamped but it specifically says for a warning of immobilsation that this has to be issued as they must give you 2 hours to pay. Considering we didnt get home until opm last night how would have we known?

Screenshot_20170724-121631.png

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I'd suggest contacting Citizens advice or looking at their site.

I have this is what it says

Vehicle clamping

Bailiffs are allowed to clamp your car. If they do so, they must leave a notice, called a warning of immobilisation, in a prominent place on the car, which includes the following information:

• that they have clamped or immobilised your car
  • the date and time the car was clamped
  • that your car has been clamped because you've failed to pay a debt you owe
  • a 24-hour telephone number you can call if you have any queries
  • the bailiff's reference number for this action.

Bailiff fees and charges

If the bailiff has properly taken control of your car, they can charge you an enforcement fee. Bailiffs can't charge you a separate clamping fee.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I concur after having to pay £500 in legal fees because I didn't re-direct my post from my rental property.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

She says to me I didn't think it was that important to change card license as we still got house and renting it out!

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Took me years to get her to update her license.

Your partners can't update them, you can't spell them. Where will it end? :mrgreen: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â