Samba

I am bored at work, so here is our best XI, followed by our back up XI

First XI:

e60d8486d83e468189bac2226160b892.png

Second XI:

63405210d59d058a5d9f04afb67837dd.png

lol let's go further. 3rd XI:

22b78166e09a23d18a204bfb55810722.png

This really goes to show how many wingers and right backs we really have. Our 3rd XI uses numerous players we were using last season in our first XI. 

You know i actually thing Davis should be the first name on the team sheet even once everyone is fit. 

Do i think he's a better striker than Kodjia? No. Is he a natural finisher like Hogan? No. As technically gifted as RMC? No again. 

My opinion is based more on the way Bruce sets up as much as the ability of Davis. When i think back to last season one thing that stood out was how isolated our strikers were. Hogan, as much as i like him isn't going to thrive in those circumstances. Kodjia is slightly different in that he does what he likes, rarely passes the ball so the lack of support is irrelevant. 

And all this meant too few goals (as a team), i can't be bothered to go back and check how many we scored from midfield but It wasn't many. 

I think Davis bridges gap, his hold up play means we keep the ball for longer in the final 3rd allowing the midfield to join the attack. And that changes how we play completely. 

Look I'm not trying to build the kid up as some sort of saviour, i just think his particular style of play is exactly what we need atm given Bruce's, shall we say  pragmatic style. 

-----------------------------------Johnstone------------------------------------

Elmohamady----------Chester-----------Terry-----------------Taylor

------------------------Jedinak---------------Hourihane--------------------

-------Adomah--------------Snodgrass----------------Kodjia-----------

--------------------------------------Davis-----------------------------------------

Think this is our best line up. Could also rotate Hogan and Davis if were playing on the floor a bit more. 

• Like 1

I think this is still our problem. We don't have a preferred style of play or formation but we have lots of decent players. What we keep seeing is formation tinkering and team tinkering but it isn't working so far. What I want to see is Bruce sticking to a formation and a style of play and then bringing into the starting line up the most suited and natural players.

Sure, we need to be able to change formations sometimes but every week is just suicide IMO. 

--------------------------------------Johnstone-------------------------------------

Elmohamady-----------Chester-------------Terry-----------------Taylor

------------------------Onomah---------------Hourihane----------------------

-------Adomah-----------------Snodgrass-------------------Kodjia---------

---------------------------------------Hogan-----------------------------------------

Since we are playing the championship.. i feel we are treating it with too much respect. Yes they are all tough matches.. but we really need to be on the front foot.. we dont have a superb defence or a ball wining midfielder. What we do have is a lot of gifted players on the ball.

You see other midfielders in other teams that are bang average and play in a 442.. They do not get overrun. 

I think we need to go a bit gung ho.. RDM style.. i think it worked last year.. except we had the last minute nerves which appears to be gone now. Take a 1-2 goal lead then protect it rather than keep going.

We dont need Mile and Whelan in every game.. some of the harder opponents yes.. but likes of Barnsley Brentford etc.. i think we should intimidate them and go on the attack. Force them to be scared and sit back and let our talent unlock them. 

Mile Whelan Lansbury Bikir etc.. are limited players who tend to break down our attacks. So the line up above all have ball ability.. and some goals in their game. 

Best 11

1 - Owner - DrT

2 - CEO - Steven Hollis

3 - Board - David Bernstein

4 - Board - Sir Mervin King

5 - Board advisor - Sir Brian Little

6 - Board advisor - Ian Taylor

7 - Academy

8 - Player - Kodjia

9 - The ghost/spirit of Paul McGrath

10 - The fans

11 - Doris the tee-lady
Edited by Grasshopper
edit

4-4-2

Johnstone 

Elmo

Terry

Chester

Taylor

Snodgrass

Onomah

Hourihane

Adomah

Davis

Kodjia 

Subs - Steer, De Laet, Samba, Jedi, Lansbury, O'Hare, Hogan

So basically the same as yesterday but with Onomah in for Whelan to provide some energy in the middle!

Yesterday's 3 of Adomah, Snodgrass and Kodjia had a really good balance to it, and quality. We all know what Kodjia can do upfront on his own but he was very good yesterday keeping hold of the ball and finding team mates. With Davis continuing his form up the top, now with these three behind him this does feel like we've found a way to get the most out of these players. It also means Bruce can stay in his comfort zone and keep it defensive if needed. I can see him starting this way home and away. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sexbelowsound said:

Davis is a must. Our style hasn't really changed but Davis is far more effective with our long ball style compared to Hogan. Everyone and their dog can see he isn't a target man. 

Totally agree with this. Davis gives us an out ball when we're under pressure without the ball coming straight back at us as at Reading etc.

22 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Yesterday's 3 of Adomah, Snodgrass and Kodjia had a really good balance to it, and quality. We all know what Kodjia can do upfront on his own but he was very good yesterday keeping hold of the ball and finding team mates. With Davis continuing his form up the top, now with these three behind him this does feel like we've found a way to get the most out of these players. It also means Bruce can stay in his comfort zone and keep it defensive if needed. I can see him starting this way home and away. 

Agree, although it's easy to say after a win, I thought the same after Norwich lol.

However I did say to a mate before he game I liked the look of that team. Seems well balanced (between attack and defence) and dangerous

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Davis is a must. Our style hasn't really changed but Davis is far more effective with our long ball style compared to Hogan. Everyone and their dog can see he isn't a target man. 

Honestly, Davis up front with a partner is IMO essential. Obviously it has to be Kodjia with him, but I believe in the absence of Kodjia Hogan and Davis would work well.

Â