Jump to content

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

I think the fact that Whelan is so appalling on the ball makes people assume he must be good defensively, but he really isn't. He has no positional sense, and can't run. His decision-making is also abysmal. Truly an impersonator of a footballer.

He is too slow, too immobile, too poor on the ball to be a good defender.

He is a typical villa player.....we have hung on to him for too long, way after his sell by date.

I fear in nearly all our managers over the last 10 years they are more influenced by a players performance in training that on match day.

We need to develop a ruthless streak of single mindedness to progress.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mickjacobjr said:

He should be offered to sheff Wednesday on a free

We'd still have to pay ~50% of his wages even if they were stupid enough to take him.

Edited by villa89
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's like watching a pissed up pensioner trying to break dance at a family gathering. 

At first you think it's a bit funny, then you start to feel sorry for him, and then just want him to sit the feck down. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, TRO said:

He is too slow, too immobile, too poor on the ball to be a good defender.

He is a typical villa player.....we have hung on to him for too long, way after his sell by date.

I fear in nearly all our managers over the last 10 years they are more influenced by a players performance in training that on match day.

We need to develop a ruthless streak of single mindedness to progress.

 

I agree TRO. In fact I’d go as far to say that we have not just held on to players well past their sell by date, we have actually signed players that were already past their useful life. To add to the problems we’ve signed them on such mammoth contracts, in terms of both wages and length of contract, it has been impossible to move them on. The better ones seem to have been signed on loan. So it is a double whammy, players with a decent future we sign on loan and ageing players getting towards the end of their careers we give long and expensive contracts to. I know some players are only available on loan, and I wouldn’t dismiss the loan system, but our general recruitment policy has been disastrous for years. 

Apparently we have 13 players coming to the end of their contracts at the end of this season and so we have an opportunity to start afresh. Let’s not blow it this time. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

He is done isn't he and would be surprised if he finds a club next season. 

I'm a little surprised Smith hasn't used the younger lads more in the middle of the park rather than looking to Whelan and Bjarnason. O'Hare has played 60 minutes and we haven't seen anything of Jake Doyle Hayes although whilst I haven't seen much of him seems to be very highly rated by those who see plenty of the under 23's. Surely these lads deserve a run ahead of Whelan who is very much yesterdays man.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

He is done isn't he and would be surprised if he finds a club next season. 

I'm a little surprised Smith hasn't used the younger lads more in the middle of the park rather than looking to Whelan and Bjarnason. O'Hare has played 60 minutes and we haven't seen anything of Jake Doyle Hayes although whilst I haven't seen much of him seems to be very highly rated by those who see plenty of the under 23's. Surely these lads deserve a run ahead of Whelan who is very much yesterdays man.

I think you’re right in advocating the use of the younger players and I believe Smith wouldn’t be against this. The only problem being that introducing youngsters during a mini crisis isn’t ideal. This has often been demonstrated when we throw them into cup games and expect them to be world beaters because they’ve been very good at under 23 level, only to be disappointed. We need to introduce them gradually, not too many at a time and give them time and patience. Both of which seem to be in very short supply. 

So I’m all for giving the kids a chance, but we need to try to introduce them with a certain amount of control and not expect too much too quickly. 

Edited by DaveAV1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think you’re right in advocating the use of the younger players and I believe Smith wouldn’t be against this. The only problem being that introducing youngsters during a mini crisis isn’t ideal. This has often been demonstrated when we throw them into cup games and expect them to be world beaters because they’ve been very good at under 23 level, only to be disappointed. We need to introduce them gradually, not too many at a time and give them time and patience. Both of which seem to be in very short supply. 

So im all for giving the kids a chance, but we need to try to introduce them with a certain amount of control and not expect too much too quickly. 

It's Aston Villa, there is always a crisis

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â