Glenn Whelan

Jareth

12 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Replacing Grealish for Whelan it is no surprise that offensively we're not as effective.

The balance of the central midfield isn't working - time to try something different IMO.

What would you do, assuming O’Hare is still injured?

Hourihane in that holding role, McGinn and try El Ghazi through the centre with Kodjia out left? Or maybe try Kodjia in a sort of free number ten role? Maybe Adomah instead? Not convinced any of these would work, but I’d be interested to see.

Really struggling to think of an alternative (I don’t think playing two up front is a likely option for us).

• Like 1

Would give O'Hare a go if he were fit or maybe try El Ghazi in an attacking central role or alternatively (not that I think it would happen) play another striker.

It could be argued BB offers more from an attacking sense than Whelan so again he might give us a better mix in midfield.

I'd certainly like to see us try something different though.

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Would give O'Hare a go if he were fit or maybe try El Ghazi in an attacking central role or alternatively (not that I think it would happen) play another striker.

It could be argued BB offers more from an attacking sense than Whelan so again he might give us a better mix in midfield.

I'd certainly like to see us try something different though.

BB offers more from every sense. Has to be first change. 

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

What would you do, assuming O’Hare is still injured?

Hourihane in that holding role, McGinn and try El Ghazi through the centre with Kodjia out left? Or maybe try Kodjia in a sort of free number ten role? Maybe Adomah instead? Not convinced any of these would work, but I’d be interested to see.

Really struggling to think of an alternative (I don’t think playing two up front is a likely option for us).

Drop Hourihane in to dmf and let mcginn and BB play like e2e midfielders. Ok they haven’t got the creativity of Grealish but they have a lot of energy between them.  

2 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Replacing Grealish for Whelan it is no surprise that offensively we're not as effective.

The balance of the central midfield isn't working - time to try something different IMO.

Yes try something out by bringing in players who can make it work.

Brentford were rite, were realising to make a new style work, alot of old bruce players don't work.

Smith will sort it out one way or another.

There was a moment today where we broke from their corner, McGinn skilled past one then laid it off to O'Hare, Hogan also starts making a run.. O'Hare then lays it off to Whelan, meanwhile McGinn has also made a darting run expecting a pass.

The ball is approaching Whelan and everyone is getting excited for the possible break with players now in good positions - what does Whelan do? without even a seconds hesitation he launches it into the far corner of the field as far as he could! Very limited player

Didn't realise he was that old! 35 next week.

His canal boat like movement makes much more sense. I don't know why I thought he was 31/32.

Out of contract at the end of the season? Definitely will be moved on whenever it ends.

Knows the right thing to do, just physically can't do it any more. He tires after 35 mins though and sometimes plays conservatively to protect himself instead of doing what's needed for the team.

Â