Glenn Whelan

Jareth

He is the problem. 

Offers no protection to the back 4 too slow in possession gives away the ball too easily and not quick enough on releasing the ball.

Watch him for their 1st goal. It should have been him stopping the shot not Breen.

Quicker we replace him the better 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

He's a good player imo but will just get blamed for something  because he is Glen whelan. 

13 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Watch him for their 1st goal. It should have been him stopping the shot not Breen.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Jimmy Floyd said the same, so I bow to your superior knowledge Stevo

And the commentators said he had a brilliant game if we're taking punditry as gospel.

I thought he was out best player today. Going forward we need to replace him, he is too slow and weak, but you can see that he is a very good midfielder, he has that footballing brain, knows where to be all the time, calm on the ball, takes the right decisions. Can see why Stoke played him despite forking out millions and millions on different other midfielders. Hardly put a foot wrong today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I thought he was out best player today. Going forward we need to replace him, he is too slow and weak, but you can see that he is a very good midfielder, he has that footballing brain, knows where to be all the time, calm on the ball, takes the right decisions. Can see why Stoke played him despite forking out millions and millions on different other midfielders. Hardly put a foot wrong today.

And still, straight away when he got subbed off we started creating chances and looking like a threat.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Yep, another good game today. Arguably our best player. Lovely assist as well. 

• Like 2

A defensive midfielder who isn’t a particularly good at tackling, doesn’t seem to mop up the ball and can’t pass very well. I actually think his best attribute at the moment is set pieces at the moment. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He’d absolutely be the first to go with a fit grealish. 

Grealish McGinn and hourihane is easily our best midfield 3. 

But when one of them is injured, Whelan is the next best. 

I'd agree that he is probably the best of a bad bunch and that's why the midfield certainly needs an overhaul. We have have lots of numbers, but they aren't very good. 

I think he needs to drop down a league after this season if wants to continue playing. He looks done at this level. 

His football brain and experience is keeping him going. Physically he is struggling and we look a lot weaker with him in the team. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Movement vs intelligent movement.

Ground covered is meaningless in isolation. Like Wenger said, people love players who put in effort, but running around aimlessly isn't really helping the team compared to someone who uses their head.

FWIW I think Whelan has pretty intelligent movement, it's just that his legs doesn't quite work as well as they used to so he's a bit off in many situations and is hopeless when put under pressure.

• Like 3

Â