Glenn Whelan

Jareth

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Just go to the states or retire Glenn. Its over. Thank god his contracts up in the summer.  Small fee but I think he has been a flop signing.

I didn't realise his contract is up in the summer, for once some decent planning (though that's countered by the fact he has always had no footballing ability so shouldnt have been signed in the first place). The only decent thing he's done at the club was miss that penalty.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I didn't realise his contract is up in the summer, for once some decent planning (though that's countered by the fact he has always had no footballing ability so shouldnt have been signed in the first place). The only decent thing he's done at the club was miss that penalty.

Him and Micah Richards. Both gone come June!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Him and Micah Richards. Both gone come June!

And jedinak thats 100k gone off the wage bill. Add Tammy and boalise thats 200k off the sage bill. Thats going to help massively with ffp

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

And jedinak thats 100k gone off the wage bill. Add Tammy and boalise thats 200k off the sage bill. Thats going to help massively with ffp

Makes no difference. We will just see what other ex PL players are on the slide and get them in because we've heard of them.

Will go for Llorente, Bardsley and Wes Morgan.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Just go to the states or retire Glenn. Its over. Thank god his contracts up in the summer.  Small fee but I think he has been a flop signing.

I read that as, “Just go to the stables and retire Glen”. Freudian slip I’d say 😀

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think you’re right in advocating the use of the younger players and I believe Smith wouldn’t be against this. The only problem being that introducing youngsters during a mini crisis isn’t ideal. This has often been demonstrated when we throw them into cup games and expect them to be world beaters because they’ve been very good at under 23 level, only to be disappointed. We need to introduce them gradually, not too many at a time and give them time and patience. Both of which seem to be in very short supply. 

So I’m all for giving the kids a chance, but we need to try to introduce them with a certain amount of control and not expect too much too quickly. 

I'd like to think with the season on the brink of just drifting away that us as fans would be accepting of a number of youngsters being introduced and would see it is a way of potentially saving us work over the summer.

We know what the likes of Whelan, Taylor, Hutton, Bjarnason, Adomah can and can't do and I think it is likely that most if not all of them won't be here next season. I think with a number of our players now supporters are pretty much done with them and even if they hare having half decent games a mistake or two and supporters are on them. We should be much more forgiving as a fan base when seeing the likes of O'Hare, Doyle Hayes, Hause, Bree getting a run now with the aim of seeing what they can do and hopefully showing enough that they can be part of a foundation being put in place meaning less of a overhaul in the summer.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I'd like to think with the season on the brink of just drifting away that us as fans would be accepting of a number of youngsters being introduced and would see it is a way of potentially saving us work over the summer.

We know what the likes of Whelan, Taylor, Hutton, Bjarnason, Adomah can and can't do and I think it is likely that most if not all of them won't be here next season. I think with a number of our players now supporters are pretty much done with them and even if they hare having half decent games a mistake or two and supporters are on them. We should be much more forgiving as a fan base when seeing the likes of O'Hare, Doyle Hayes, Hause, Bree getting a run now with the aim of seeing what they can do and hopefully showing enough that they can be part of a foundation being put in place meaning less of a overhaul in the summer.

I’d like to think you’re right Mark, but we had a young centre back making his debut yesterday and some people, on here at least, had written him off after 20 minutes, as they have the new goal keeper after just 2 games. So you can see my worry, but I think on the whole though people are reasonable and more forgiving, particularly of young players, if they see they are putting enough effort in. Although sometimes players who are nervous and unsure of themselves tend to go into their shells a little and that can come across as not trying. 

On the whole though, with so many players needing replacing in the summer, you’re right to say that there are opportunities for young players to make their mark and contribute to the rebuild. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’d like to think you’re right Mark, but we had a young centre back making his debut yesterday and some people, on here at least, had written him off after 20 minutes, affter just 2 games. 

True that Dave, what I will say though is that his debut performance yesterday won't make him a Hausehold name anytime soon.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Indeed, it needs to be determined whether our own long term projects can actually cut it. However, they will need sustained run of games in order to develop. I really hope Smith persists with Bree at RB, for instance, and does not panic, putting Hutton at RB as the experienced head. I cannot for the life of me understand why JDH is not replacing Whelan in his squad role. Furthermore, there needs to be a clearer pathway from the academy to the 1st team. At the moment it's too comfortable to pick up a relatively big pay check with zero pressure playing boys football, even as a 21/22/23 year old. Its counterproductive and is creating a conceited false culture. This needs to be achieved either by a larger number of loans or first team opportunities with Villa, we need to be more ruthless in this regard, if you're not pushing for 1st team/loan option at good league 1 standard by 21, its time to cut lose. It did worry me to hear that Smith said that one of the reasons he pulled O'Hare was to 'protect' him. Look at the age in the U23's this year: Lyden (23) Suliman (21) Doyle-Hayes (21) O'Hare (21) Green (21) Hepburn-Murphy (21), I think it's sink or swim time here. Daniel Johnson left us in his 23rd year, having not made a 1st team appearance, and Gary Gardner is still under contract with us at 26 years old, having very little impact.  

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’d like to think you’re right Mark, but we had a young centre back making his debut yesterday and some people, on here at least, had written him off after 20 minutes, as they have the new goal keeper after just 2 games. So you can see my worry, but I think on the whole though people are reasonable and more forgiving, particularly of young players, if they see they are putting enough effort in. Although sometimes players who are nervous and unsure of themselves tend to go into their shells a little and that can come across as not trying. 

On the whole though, with so many players needing replacing in the summer, you’re right to say that there are opportunities for young players to make their mark and contribute to the rebuild. 

you're right in part, it goes along with what smith said about knowing what villa park can be like at 2-0 down and not wanting to subject o'hare to that. however i would at least hope that one of our own youth prospects would be allowed more time than someone we've taken on loan from wolves or the current croatia no1 keeper (not that i'm advocating how quickly some have written the pair off).

i've never see doyle-hayes play, or any of the u23 midfield for that matter, all i know is i'd rather give them a chance over whelan any day of the week. for me the season is over. even if we make playoffs there's no way i trust this side to perform 3 games in a row to get promoted. therefore now's the time to play the youth in some relatively no pressure games

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’d like to think you’re right Mark, but we had a young centre back making his debut yesterday and some people, on here at least, had written him off after 20 minutes. 

It's ridiculous, isn't it.

I wrote him off after 4 minutes tbfh.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Maybe, I am being kind to the majority of the fan base, but I see the disdain towards a lack of effort, more than the odd mistake.

but I am speaking generally as opposed to specifically.

but I agree about the kids, who are c20/21 by the way....I think we need to blood a few, in a sensible manner....otherwise, they will never be ready.

Edited by TRO

I think you need to be athletic and very mobile for that role....a footballing Red Adair, putting fires out and stealing Possession, starting Sorties.

The player needs a combative attitude as a pre-requisite, someone who goes after the opposing players and enjoys it.....Someone that can win aerial balls and switch the initiative by finding the midfielders who are further forward.

A true DM is usually the brains of the organisation and see's it all.

Vicente de Bosque

• "You watch the game, you don't see Busquets"..."you watch Busquets, you see the whole game"

That's a great description of a DM for me....My favourite position to watch on a football field.

Glenn has had his day.

• Like 1

He doesn't suit Smith's style of a DM. Smith likes to press. Whelan is slow, and can't pass under pressure. Thor at least works a little bit more, but Smith doesn't have a DM that he can count on.

I think that is why Smith recalled Lyden. He was likely hoping Lyden could fill that role. 

Whelan's total lack of pace and creativity dictates his play.

The Villa team's collective lack of pace and creativity is dictating our current woeful form.

Pace and creativity .... It must be out there somewhere .... The transfer window has only just reached half way!

• Like 1

Â