Jareth

Glenn Whelan

Recommended Posts

Yeah I think any sniff of renewing his contract would be foolish.

I think he's vastly underrated by a lot of fans, but he's still very limited, and he shouldn't be a regular starter for us. He'd be much better limited to coming on late and seeing out games rather than us relying on him for a whole game.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I think any sniff of renewing his contract would be foolish.

I think he's vastly underrated by a lot of fans, but he's still very limited, and he shouldn't be a regular starter for us. He'd be much better limited to coming on late and seeing out games rather than us relying on him for a whole game.

The player he once was is underrated.  His a shadow of even the player he was last season. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously has a good football brain, wonder if he’s got thoughts of going into coaching when finished? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/01/2019 at 12:45, Tomaszk said:

Didn't realise he was that old! 35 next week.

His canal boat like movement makes much more sense. I don't know why I thought he was 31/32.

 

Its nearly 10 years now since he scored the goal which started our collapse under MON

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its nearly 10 years now since he scored the goal which started our collapse under MON

shows how our defence has progressed, when he scored against us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/01/2019 at 12:47, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I think any sniff of renewing his contract would be foolish.

It wouldn't just be foolish it would be downright insanity. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched him when he came off against Swansea, I watched him as he sat down on the bench shaking his head, looking mildy relieved.

It was the look of a man who is truly done and very aware his time is up.
WHY TO CHRIST SMITH IS PLAYING HIM IS BEYOND ME.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looked lively when he first came on but ruined it with that calamity for their penalty. Bizarre decision to bring him on in the circumstances

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely shocking player. A central midfielder who can’t defend and keeps getting games despite being dreadful in all of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rodders0223 said:

Agreed, let's get a bidding war going!

We’d be lucky to get 50p for this shit 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's like someones tried to reanimate a piece of beef jerky, only not quite that fast or technical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's shit yes, but what do you expect him to do when he's brought on to turn a one goal deficit around? He's not the sort of player who's going to affect things for us that way. I certainly want him out of the club, but I cannot begin to imagine what on earth Smith was thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless we buy one, he's going to be in our match day squads until Grealish or Lansbury come back. 

We have four midfielders and three of them have to start each game. Three of these four isn't enough - we should probably be looking at ways to get all of them on the pitch at the outset. 

In summary; I don't think Whelan is good enough, I think we need to find ways to have him start games. Our midfield is horrible.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Unless we buy one, he's going to be in our match day squads until Grealish or Lansbury come back. 

We have four midfielders and three of them have to start each game. Three of these four isn't enough - we should probably be looking at ways to get all of them on the pitch at the outset. 

In summary; I don't think Whelan is good enough, I think we need to find ways to have him start games. Our midfield is horrible.

 

I respectfully disagree!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

I respectfully disagree!

So do I. But I really am struggling to find a midfield that's capable of holding the middle of the park without playing all four of our fit midfielders. 

I could drop him in a:

Bree----Chester-----Elphick-----Hause-----Hutton

--------McGinn----Hourihane---Bjarnason------------

------------------Abraham-----Davis--------------------------

But even then, that midfield would need a lot of support from Bree and Hutton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites