Glenn Whelan

Jareth

6 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I think he is a liability every time he plays personally.

First 15 minutes he looked very composed today.

Then they cottoned on to how much he would panic under pressure and hammered him every single time.

Looked like a pub player for the remainder of the match, either giving the ball away or passing to a teammate under immense pressure.  Garbage.

4 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

First 15 minutes he looked very composed today.

Then they cottoned on to how much he would panic under pressure and hammered him every single time.

Looked like a pub player for the remainder of the match, either giving the ball away or passing to a teammate under immense pressure.  Garbage.

Too slow to move the ball and at times can't get it out of his feet...when he is like this he is a danger waiting to happen.

• Like 1

It's been pretty clear for a while now, but this guy is no longer able to do the hard working sweeping up job he once did.

And he hasn't got the footballing skills or brain to do any other job in the team.

Him and Jedi are similar in that way and both can on their day still be useful I suppose, but we are paying them PL wages to be bit part players.

Both prime examples of why you should not give long contracts to limited players nearing the end of their careers.

• Like 1

You can't criticise Whelan too much. He's at the tail end of his career and not well suited to this team, and he is only playing due to the fact we have several injuries in the middle of the park. I'm sure Dean Smith can see what we see, and when McGinn and Birkir are fit he will be well down the pecking order again. 

5 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

You can't criticise Whelan too much. He's at the tail end of his career and not well suited to this team, and he is only playing due to the fact we have several injuries in the middle of the park. I'm sure Dean Smith can see what we see, and when McGinn and Birkir are fit he will be well down the pecking order again. 

He shouldn’t really be playing for us anymore if we’re being honest. Landsbury looked sharp when he came on. Real blow for him to get injured again. 

So I guess Whelan may still play a role for us due to so many injuries in his position.

Well I guess I will be the odd man out. I thought he had a good game.

He and Conor were largely responsible for Villa's dominance in midfield with Whelan doing better in the air and Conor doing better passing. But they both had the highest and second highest amount of passes of the game. 

He did well. I am glad Glen Whelan is in our squad. A very useful player. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Well I guess I will be the odd man out. I thought he had a good game.

He and Conor were largely responsible for Villa's dominance in midfield with Whelan doing better in the air and Conor doing better passing. But they both had the highest and second highest amount of passes of the game. 

He did well. I am glad Glen Whelan is in our squad. A very useful player. 

I think he did ok overall but he did give the ball away a few times under pressure.

As usual I think he's being overly criticised.

That being said I think his days are probably numbered here.

Edited by Stevo985

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I think he did well overlal but he did give the ball away a few times under pressure.

As usual I think he's being overly criticised.

He was awful! We looked a much better team when he went off. 

Need to use him for 10-15 minute cameos to see out games only. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

His contract is up at the end of the season and safe enough to assume it won't be renewed. I won't miss him when he's gone.

I think @Stevo985 is the only one that will miss him :)

I will wish him well though. Seems a good professional. He’s just past it.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

16 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Sooner have one of our younger players given game time than this guy. Simply past it. He’s a liability once put under pressure. A poor Bruce signing.

He did his job for us last year when Jedi was out. There have been plenty of poor signings but I'm not sure he is one.

Won't get much of a look in now though granted!

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think @Stevo985 is the only one that will miss him :)

Nope.

He's done well for us since he's been here. But players like McGinn are a far better option and I don't expect Whelan to get another contract here. Same as Jedinak.

• Like 1

Free kick in the 89th minute, out wide and a perfect chance to get a cross in against 10 men...

...the option taken is to ping the ball about 30 yards over to the far edge of the box for Whelan to hit a volley.

Have we been using this guy wrong all along?  Is he really a Scholes-esque attacking midfielder?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Free kick in the 89th minute, out wide and a perfect chance to get a cross in against 10 men...

...the option taken is to ping the ball about 30 yards over to the far edge of the box for Whelan to hit a volley.

Have we been using this guy wrong all along?  Is he really a Scholes-esque attacking midfielder?!

That was funny as ****.

I thought he played well when he came on. Decent crossfield passing and won his tackles. I get he's old and can slow us down but don't think he's been that bad in the last two.

Considering how poor Hourihane was as DM I can see him starting v Boro (hopefully to tempt Pulis into a January bid!)

• Like 1

Â