Glenn Whelan

Jareth

14 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He was thoroughly average last night.

Too limited and too slow....I understand what he is there for, but its not enough IMO.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, omariqy said:

Alongside Tuanzebe he was our best player last night.

I agree that he was one of the better players. I think we could see signs of us taking more risks in the passing in midfield, previously it was mostly a direct pass back to the defenders who knocked in in the channels. Yesterday we tried some more risky passes between the midfielders which I think is good, and I think that's part of why Whelan looked better. He is a decent passer and comes more to his right when he can have the ball and pass, rather than chase the ball and defend.

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

You wait so long for Jedi and Whelan to retire so they can actually get the recovery needed to perform for us throughout the season...and when they do they both have no major to play in the squad...smh

It's ok. We have actual leadership and strategic thinking in the management team now.

In fairness he only played today because three ahead of him were injured. McGinn obviously would've started and then Bjarni would've been stick on if he'd been fit. Jedinak more debatable with his style. I actually think if Lansbury had been more invovled this year he might've been given a start as his style strikes me as more to DS liking.

Whelan hit some decent passes at times, was sloppy at others but far from our worst player. I agree he's too old now. Him and Jedinak out of contract end of the season so 70k off the wage bill and proper scope to rebuild in that area whatever division we're in.

Â