Glenn Whelan

Jareth

• 3 weeks later...

I thought he was pretty good by his standards tonight, but it also highlighted why he shouldn’t be starting games for us. Too slow on the ball, not good under pressure and not a great passer at all. His reading of the game was good though, and he breaks up play well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Thought first half he was our best player, read the game well, broke down Norwich play and moved the ball. Always there to take the ball off the defenders. Second half faded as his legs tired and Norwich moved the ball quicker.

I agree. I thought overall he was comfortably our second best player tonight, behind Axel. 

I don't know what the stats say, but he passed the ball well tonight imo. The best of our midfield. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I agree. I thought overall he was comfortably our second best player tonight, behind Axel. 

I don't know what the stats say, but he passed the ball well tonight imo. The best of our midfield. 

I'm not a fan of his at all but I also thought he was our best midfielder tonight. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, meregreen said:

Not a very good player. Well past his best. Would rather see a younger player given a chance. One of Bruces worst signings.

Haha he was our best player along with Tuanzebe.

His distribution was excellent and he poked through a high ball for Grealish to get hauled down just outside the box. 

66/73(90.4%) completed passes is nuts and 4/4 accurate long balls. 

If you can't acknowledge he was one of best in a game lost by poor keeping and defending you clearly have an irrational grudge against him

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Haha he was our best player along with Tuanzebe.

His distribution was excellent and he poked through a high ball for Grealish to get hauled down just outside the box. 

66/73(90.4%) completed passes is nuts and 4/4 accurate long balls. 

If you can't acknowledge he was one of best in a game lost by poor keeping and defending you clearly have an irrational grudge against him

I don’t judge people on one game. I was referring to his form and displays over his total tenure at the club. In my opinion he simply isn’t good enough, and is a classic example of an older player denying our younger players a chance. I don’t have a grudge against him, I just think he was a very poor signing by Bruce

8 hours ago, meregreen said:

Not a very good player. Well past his best. Would rather see a younger player given a chance. One of Bruces worst signings.

Players signed by Bruce who were worse than whelan (playing under Bruce, unfair to judge any under Smith after 2 games), in no particular order:

Lansbury

Hogan

Taylor

Moreria

Nyland

Bree

Tuanzebe

El Ghazi

Played well last night but faded by the end. Could have done with being taken off for Bjarnasson but we needed to get Kodjia on as Hogan was completely ineffective.

Rest him for Friday and get O'Hare on the bench in his place.

• Like 1

He was pretty good. As usual.

Said it before, easily our most underrated player. 

He seems to have been pigeon holed by a handful of bad performances when he first signed.
He nearly always performs for us.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Alongside Tuanzebe he was our best player last night.

Agreed I thought he played very well and seemed to do very well even bearing in mind the extra pressures put on him by trying to play out from the back. Much more tidy on the ball than Bjarnasson and got about the pitch well. 

Edited by villaglint

played very well last night and usually puts a shift in. he seems a little slow though, so I'm not entirely convinced he will be able to keep up with a higher pressing game for the full 90 minutes. seems to make up for it by having good positioning though, so maybe I'm wrong in assuming that.

Doesn't have the engine or mobility to do the job he used to do in the same way anymore so he's had to adjust the way he plays.

Sometimes, like yesterday he manages that really well and is an asset.

And sometimes he doesn't. And then he looks off the pace and leaves us too easy to run over in midfield.

Don't buy in to the pass completion rate.

How many of these passes were forward...how many were defence splitting.

Yes he gets in a block and an interception now and then....great.

Too slow and can't move...need to move on...slows the play down too much...spends most of the game pointing at players because he can't get there...his first movement is always backwards with or without the ball

• Like 4

Â