Glenn Whelan

Jareth

He's good at this level, it's just a shame he's at the twilight of his career. In games where we're generally in control, he's great. I think pundits do his a disservice when they say he 'keeps it simple'. Yes he does, but that doesn't mean he always takes the safe option, I think he's a tidy passer of the ball.

I'd take him over Thor at home. 

• Like 1

Shored up and helped the back out, broke their play up nicely at times and kept momentum going going forward. Can’t ask for more from a DM then that can you. Solid tonight. 

5 minutes ago, philgetaway said:

Played well last night.  First time I've seen him not take the easy pass back to the centre half every time, and look to move the ball forward.  Fair play.  Will be good this season rotating to keep him fresh. 

That's having the knowledge that there's two creative players like Jack and John in front of you.

Whelan is nailed on for me currently, his style compliments the creativity we have in the middle and with El Ghazi and (fingers crossed) Bolasie to come in he will be pivotal for us.  

Great game last night and personally my MotM.

I know this is a very silly little observation, but when we need a goal and he is substituted he sprints off to speed up the change, rather than amble off feeling sorry for himself. I like that, it says a lot about his attitude and character towards the team. 

Played better than he normally does last night but he can still be slow and ponderous on the ball. I think he needs legs around him and with triple J and the two new wingers ahead of him it might really suit him. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I thought whelan was brilliant tonight cotender for motm for me 

Yeah, I thought the same. McGinn just about pipped him for me. 

Yes, Kodija got two goals and was excellent but I thought the central midfield three were really good last night. 

• Like 1

Agree with the consensus that he was good, though I thought he over-committed a couple of times and left holes on their rare forays forward. I think he's an obviously superior footballer to Bjarnason, though, it's open and shut for me who plays if Whelan is fit enough. 

• Like 1

Â