Glenn Whelan

Jareth

His pressing broke down a lot of their attacks, first on either flank to prevent the crosses coming in and got Taylor out of trouble a couple of times. Such a thankless task his role.

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

If we manage him properly he will be fine, better than fine. If we put him out every 3rd and 4th day like we did last year early on, then he will be leg heavy and look a shambles again.

This. It’s the role that will probably cover the most ground. Bruce will need to rotate the position a lot more By his own admission it’s what he should have done after the Wolves game last season. 

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This. It’s the role that will probably cover the most ground. Bruce will need to rotate the position a lot more By his own admission it’s what he should have done after the Wolves game last season. 

I think with the revelation that Bjarnasson isn't totally shit in that position he'll be able to do that a lot more now.

The short period last season when Whelan struggled was when Jedinak was out and Bjarnasson was still dreadful

I think the opportunties to rotate that position are much better this season if everyone is fit.

Just now, lexicon said:

I'd sell Bjarnasson and have Doyle-Hayes as rotation for that role tbh.  

I'd have no problem with that either if someone made an offer for BB.

7 hours ago, perchman said:

His pressing broke down a lot of their attacks, first on either flank to prevent the crosses coming in and got Taylor out of trouble a couple of times. Such a thankless task his role.

No disrespect to any fan, but it takes a certain study/ focus to appreciate a DM.

you cannot have a team full of artists, but they are ones who easily catch the eye......but,there is a need for a water carrier.....which allows theses artists to flourish.

some are hard direct tacklers, some are pick pockets like Stan Petrov.....but they all do that essential job.

they are crucial to the balance.

when i was a young fan, i did not appreciate them as much as i do today as a mature fan.

• Like 1

I thought he perhaps had the best game of anyone on the pitch last night. No one was outstanding, but for the whole game he did exactly the job you'd want a DM to do. Played very well. Edit - oh and when I voted him Motm in the match thread I was pleased and surprised that 10 others had also done the same.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sne said:

Know it's not possible because of their bloated contracts but I'd get rid of Whelan and Jedi asap if someone came in with and offer.

Why would you want to get rid of our best two DMs?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Why would you want to get rid of our best two DMs?

Massive wages,

injuries,

age,

mobility

deteriorating physique meaning they can no longer quite do those things that previously made them effective in this position for a prolonged period of time,

need for improvement in this area to make us a more effective team in possession and midfield.

Selling both would obviously need us to sign 1 replacement to compete with your much hated Thor.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Massive wages,

injuries,

age,

deteriorating physique meaning they can no longer quite do those things that previously made them effective in this position for a prolonged period of time,

need for improvement in this area to make us a more effective team in possession and midfield.

Selling both would obviously need us to sign 1 replacement to compete with your much hated Thor.

Fair enough, if we had a replacement lined up then I wouldn't be against it. I assumed you meant without another signing coming in.
I think without a replacement we actually kinda need both, for the reasons you stated that they're not fit enough to play every game so we need to rotate them.

And I don't hate Thor. Quite the opposite, I quite like the guy. He gives 100% and has turned his time here around.

But that doesn't change the fact that he's not very good. He's played his way into contention for that DM spot but he's still, rightly, 3rd choice and he's not good enough to be our starter in that position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

No disrespect to any fan, but it takes a certain study/ focus to appreciate a DM.

you cannot have a team full of artists, but they are ones who easily catch the eye......but,there is a need for a water carrier.....which allows theses artists to flourish.

some are hard direct tacklers, some are pick pockets like Stan Petrov.....but they all do that essential job.

they are crucial to the balance.

when i was a young fan, i did not appreciate them as much as i do today as a mature fan.

DES BREMNER!!!

Generally agree here, thought he was good last night. He usually is, and adds a lot of composure to our team. I think he has his shocking moments but he gets jumped on too much by fans when things aren't going our way.

Â