Glenn Whelan

Jareth

42 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think he crippled our midfield, yet again, personally.  He's decent enough defensively but doesn't enable us to get out at all, so Forest were able to just keep the ball and keep us under pressure.

As soon as he went off, that was completely changed.  Bjarnason hassled and pushed us up the pitch.  Give me that over the occasional block any day of the week.

Yep. 

Whelan was fine, he made a few tackles and passes. But he is so slow and limited that it has an effect on us. 

Nothing about being a scapegoat, he just doesn't have a positive effect on the team

• Like 4

I hate to be negative after a win but apart from his excellent block he was pretty much non existent. The difference between our midfield performance in the two halves when Thor was there showed you how poor Whelan can be at times. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I hate to be negative after a win but apart from his excellent block he was pretty much non existent. The difference between our midfield performance in the two halves when Thor was there showed you how poor Whelan can be at times. 

It's not negative. I was going to say the same thing. It's a simple fact. Maybe or maybe not it was due to Whelan himself but we were substantially better after he went off. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, omariqy said:

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

It's not negative. I was going to say the same thing. It's a simple fact. Maybe or maybe not it was due to Whelan himself but we were substantially better after he went off. 

No I totally agree with you both and we looked much more promising with him in the role after Whelan went off.

• Like 1

I see Glenn is settling into the 2017-2018 Villa scapegoat of the season role with aplomb. He is a decent player at this level and I think he has added to the team. For a million quid its been a good buy. Would you rather have Whelan in the set up or Gary Gardner, currently on the bench at Barnsley?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I see Glenn is settling into the 2017-2018 Villa scapegoat of the season role with aplomb. He is a decent player at this level and I think he has added to the team. For a million quid its been a good buy. Would you rather have Whelan in the set up or Gary Gardner, currently on the bench at Barnsley?

He was man of the match against Wolves yesterday...

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Not sure if this is necessarily scapegoating a player. A simple question is, is how do you rate glen Whelan as a player? For me, he is a limited defo midfield who often makes mistakes. 

I know it was only 45mins of football vs a very poor forest team, but to me Bjarnason was so much better, and he made no mistake

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Was he taken off due to fitness or shitness?

Bruce post match:

“He hurt his knee in the challenge just before half-time, in the blocked challenge. For him to come off it must be sore."

“I’ve got no problems with Glenn Whelan."

“As I’ve said many times, you don’t play in the Premier League, averaging 30 games every season."

“His experience and know how will be important."

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-steve-bruce-transcript-14152657

Edited by VILLAMARV
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

He was really good first half. We all watch such different games.

I don't think it's a question of how good he was but how much better we were without him. 

As others have said he did what he doesn't well enough but we just couldn't keep the ball and control the game that's well until he went off. 

14 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

He was perfectly fine. Won tackles, won headers, we never looked in trouble, he did his job.

The trouble is people see that and think thats fine.

However thats what he's in the team to do, as his most basic job. To be a better team overall you need more from your DM.

There were times yesterday when he would just head it aimlessly when theres no pressure on him and it went straight to the opposition. A better player would know hes got a bit of time, take the opportunity to chest it and lay it off to a team mate, I personally think he knows he is limited at this so the first thing in his mind is "just get rid, not my job to be passing it".

The other week, Grealish tried to play a one two with him and his layoff was so poor it didnt go anywhere near Jack, but straight to the opposition - the ball was then launched up the pitch, Jedinak failed to control it and the opposition scored, but because of Jedinaks mistake people forgot about what happened just before. 

He's not terrible but I understand why some get frustrated with him while others dont, its up to each persons own ideas of what they expect from their DM. Either you see that position as just a blocker (an advanced centre back if you like) or you see him as a deep lying dual purpose player who can get involved with breaking up play and setting up attacks.

2 hours ago, kwoktolai said:

Not sure if this is necessarily scapegoating a player. A simple question is, is how do you rate glen Whelan as a player? For me, he is a limited defo midfield who often makes mistakes. 

I know it was only 45mins of football vs a very poor forest team, but to me Bjarnason was so much better, and he made no mistake

I rate him as a decent midfielder with nearly a decade of top flight football and with over 80 international caps to his belt. At 1 million he has and will be a good attention to our team.  A couple of weeks ago everyone was slating Bjanarason-  I read in a different thread that he was the worst player someone had ever seen in a villa shirt (?!).  I bet in a couple more weeks everyone will be slating Jedinak and praising Whelan- that has it goes on this site.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Â