Glenn Whelan

Jareth

I know about him..but never really noticed him in games we played against him. Whether thats a good thing or not i dunno. They have always been hard to break down.. so he could be a big reason for that. 

Tbh i got realky excited at last seasons signings and most disappointed. I am therefore going in with lower expectations with these signings hopefully be in more of a suprise. I cabt say i know to much about him. But if Bruce has offered him anymore than a 2 year deal that is just madness

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Tbh i got realky excited at last seasons signings and most disappointed. I am therefore going in with lower expectations with these signings hopefully be in more of a suprise. I cabt say i know to much about him. But if Bruce has offered him anymore than a 2 year deal that is just madness

maybe thats Bruce plan.. get us all flat and have no pressure on the team !

Why are people surprised we're not signing players who are "good enough for the Premier League"?

If they're good enough for the Premier League then, mostly, they're playing in the premier league.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Why are people surprised we're not signing players who are "good enough for the Premier League"?

If they're good enough for the Premier League then, mostly, they're playing in the premier league.

Exactly.

This guy caused a lot of damage to us with his last minute equaliser in 2009 when we had been 2 up. We would probably have got CL if we'd won that game and who knows how different thw future might have been!

He has some making up to do...

Edited by PatrickCousens

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You could argue Chester is good enough for the premier league though 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You could argue Chester is good enough for the premier league though 

You could, and there are obviously exceptions.

But if people are expecting most of our signings to be Premier League ready then they're kidding themselves.

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You could, and there are obviously exceptions.

But if people are expecting most of our signings to be Premier League ready then they're kidding themselves.

I agree with your 2nd paragraph. we are having to look at premier league players not deemed good enough for their current sides. the thing that gets me with this signing we signed jedinak at 32 and no-one was complaining then? 

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree with your 2nd paragraph. we are having to look at premier league players not deemed good enough for their current sides. the thing that gets me with this signing we signed jedinak at 32 and no-one was complaining then? 

Jedinak has a beard, you forgot to factor that in. The vast majority of Villa fans seem to be fascinated by beards. Glenn Whelan has no beard so he doesn't have the same wow factor

32 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

And I see Glenn Whelan as exactly that. A second Jedinak to make sure we have either one of them available, rather than lacking that defensive shield as soon as Jedinak is out.

12 minutes ago, Daweii said:

These players aside from Terry aren't exciting, but I'm getting tired of transfer windows where we get excited only to be let down. The last few windows we have had a field day buying the league and it was exciting, but it got us nowhere. So maybe buying players that aren't super exciting, but have the quality and experience to do a job for us will actually get us somewhere.

I think January were all of our exciting signings. Lansbury, Hourihane, Hogan etc are all exciting.

We're now adding in the "boring", experienced signings that should, HOPEFULLY, bring it all together.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

And I see Glenn Whelan as exactly that. A second Jedinak to make sure we have either one of them available, rather than lacking that defensive shield as soon as Jedinak is out.

I think January were all of our exciting signings. Lansbury, Hourihane, Hogan etc are all exciting.

We're now adding in the "boring", experienced signings that should, HOPEFULLY, bring it all together.

SPOT ON!

Tbh I doubt a premier league starter is going to come here to be a sub. He is a solid player and quite consistent. I am hoping it allows people like Hourihane, Grealish and Lansbury to be more forward thinking. 

10 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

This must be the most Brucey of Steve Bruce's signings.

He will probably do a decent job and I will cheer him on, but god damn what an uninspiring signing. After having watched our midfield the last 6 months, we are now buying a 33 year old midfielder from Stoke who will provide grit.

TBF to Bruce can you think of a more likely player to provide 'grit' that a 33 year old veteran from Stoke?

Â