Glenn Whelan

Jareth

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Well you can say this - but we never tested the water did we - who knows maybe the lure of a return to VP might have swung it?

Didn't we?

I have no idea. To be honest I'd be very VERY surprised if we didn't. We were obviously in the market for a similar player, having bought a veteran deep lying midfielder from a Premier League club. 

I imagine it's very possible that we made casual enquiries and were told he had no intention of dropping to the Championship.

Whelen is pretty awful but the role he plays in makes it almost impossible not to be. Jedinak suffers from the same problem in that area. We talk of 4-4-2 but really the role these two play in is so defensive that it's effectively 5-3-2. Neither of them have the legs to do box to box and, whilst I think both of their passing abilities are horrific, the options they are presented with are limited due to the disconnect between the central midfield and the strikers. When did you last see a CM effectively link up with a striker rather than a winger? Hourihane has some success because he can keep up with play.

So whilst I recognise the need for a defensive minded midfielder, I don't like basically just playing another defender under the guise of being a midfielder. We have to trust the defence to be able to cope and get more bodies, more energy and more creativity in the middle of the park. Onomah could perhaps do it, Lansbury has the energy if not the discipline, maybe Hourihane will do it if Grealish returns.

The role Whelen and Jedinak are given is never going to be successful or exciting but will often stifle our own attacking needs or lead to sloppy mistakes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Didn't we?

I have no idea. To be honest I'd be very VERY surprised if we didn't. We were obviously in the market for a similar player, having bought a veteran deep lying midfielder from a Premier League club. 

I imagine it's very possible that we made casual enquiries and were told he had no intention of dropping to the Championship.

Ok !

What length contract is he on?

Feels like both him and Jedi will be less than useless next season.

And neither should be starters this season due to better options in the squad.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BruLan said:

A mistake today and some terrific break up play and good forward passes.

A good honest pro.

One mistake and he's castigated, whereas Kodja never passes and often loses the ball yet he's revered 

To be fair Kodjia is frequently criticised which then sparks huge arguments from the people who feel you are not allowed to criticise anyone who scores goals. 

As you can see on the Kodjia thread today he is getting quite a lot of criticism and not many are arguing because he's not actually scoring at the moment. 

• Like 1

Â