Glenn Whelan

Jareth

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The only way you could possibly think he's been singled out was if this was the only thread you read. 

Maybe singled out is the wrong phrase but there is focus on him as a new signing.

Written off is probably more apt phrase. All I am saying is it's too early to judge.The middle part of the Jedinak thread, for example, is an interesting read given how he is viewed now.

My concern is the tactics, formation, game plans and management of the whole side rather than one player's performance particularly so early in his Villa career.

I thought Whelan played really well today, he was always there, broke up their play, chased the ball, tackled well and was a proper midfielder. I know he's been up and down a little, but today was great. Subtle, but a real lesson in how to command midfield. Well done Glen.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I thought Whelan played really well today, he was always there, broke up their play, chased the ball, tackled well and was a proper midfielder. I know he's been up and down a little, but today was great. Subtle, but a real lesson in how to command midfield. Well done Glen.

Yep, he was very good today. Had a spell midway through the 2nd half when he was everywhere. Used the ball a lot better today too. Calm and assured. 

• Like 1

Professional and assured. Think he was given too much flac last game and I'm sure he'll be a great asset for us this year. Glad we have both him and Jedinak to duke it out for this position now. Great options.

• Like 1

On 17/08/2017 at 23:25, Harry said:

Maybe singled out is the wrong phrase but there is focus on him as a new signing.

Written off is probably more apt phrase. All I am saying is it's too early to judge.The middle part of the Jedinak thread, for example, is an interesting read given how he is viewed now.

My concern is the tactics, formation, game plans and management of the whole side rather than one player's performance particularly so early in his Villa career.

As I said........

He's been very disappointing so far, and the lack of pace at the centre of our defence with him, Terry and Chester (not to mention Samba) is a worry. Jedinak is slow but harder to get round. If Jedi isn't fit I would agree to go with Lansbury.

I thought he played well tonight, broke up a lot of play and his passing was good. Does a lot of the donkey work that goes unnoticed so he'll inevitably be hated at Villa but his stats for tonight were 3 tackles, 3 interceptions, 5 successful long passes from 8 attempted and 53 total passes with a 93% pass completion.  

Utter garbage today, kept passing the ball backwards or sideways. Offers absolutely nothing forward. Hourihane had to come deep to receive the ball and distribute forward. It's time for Jake Doyle Hayes to take his place 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, supermon said:

Utter garbage today, kept passing the ball backwards or sideways. Offers absolutely nothing forward. Hourihane had to come deep to receive the ball and distribute forward. It's time for Jake Doyle Hayes to take his place 

It's basically this (garbage is harsh). He does pass the ball accurately to the centre backs and, sure, he probably makes a few tackles - but is it anything special that we need in the side?

I fail to see how bringing in another, more attacking (and that only really means not a defensive) central midfielder would make us much worse. 

Â