Glenn Whelan

Jareth

53 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Call him? I read that as he flew on the tuesday to go away with the family and when he landed from the flight the news was out. It's not like his phone was off for two weeks.

Don't think it's outrageous for him to suggest they might have officially let him know before the news got out.

That's not entirely correct. Whelan even admitted a missed calll was left by the club so they did try contact him. 

How can the club control if someone leaks it to the press? 

Edited by Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

That's not entirely correct. Whelan even admitted a voice mail was left by the club so they did try contact him. 

How can the club control if someone leaks it to the press? 

Did someone leak it to the press or were the press told when the list of released players was...released?

I don't think it's unreasonable for a player to expect to be told he was being released before the press found out.

52 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Did someone leak it to the press or were the press told when the list of released players was...released?

I don't think it's unreasonable for a player to expect to be told he was being released before the press found out.

I dint see what they could have done if they tried ringing him and he didn’t answer as he is away on holiday.

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dint see what they could have done if they tried ringing him and he didn’t answer as he is away on holiday.

Tried again?

I mean if it was literally

"Let's release Glenn"

*Try to call him*

"Oh **** it's been leaked to the press in the past 10 minutes"

Then fine.

But sounds like from what he said he had one missed call. It's hardly trying very hard is it?

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect a player to ensure he’s contactable, especially as he said the news did not come as a surprise. Total non story this though. Thanks Glenn, and good luck.

22 minutes ago, meregreen said:

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect a player to ensure he’s contactable, especially as he said the news did not come as a surprise.

On a flight? 

If Whelan was uncontactable for the entire duration of his holiday then I completely agree. It's stupid of him.

But the way it reads is that he took off, and by the time he'd landed he'd been officially released and the press knew about it.
In THAT scenario it's pretty poor form. The club wouldn't have made the decision and finalised it and released it to the press in the space of Whelan getting on the plane and then landing.

Where’s his agent in all this? No heads up from them? Or any of his mates when the news broke? When it was announced by the club on Saturday, why didn’t anyone drop him a text to say “ah sorry to hear that mate, but you’ll find another club.”?

Or any of the squad for that matter? Why is he first finding out about it a few days later? Weird.

Anyway, thanks for everything Glenn. I probably didn’t appreciate you as much as you deserved, but you played your part in getting this club back on the up. All the best for the future.

Edit - looking at the quote again, I’m now reading it as he was coming back from his holiday, phone off during a flight. The club tried during this time and then didn’t wait around and issued a press release. Which is a bit poor from the club and would thereforemake the first two paragraphs of this post nonsense.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

I would have given him another year to be honest to manage the team transition to the premier league, so I can understand if he feels a bit salty about being let go. I’m sure this interview was just some frustration coming out. In some ways promotion was the worst thing that could have happened to his career prospects as he’s unlikely to get a club of villas stature now.

He won’t struggle to find another team though (probably championship level to be fair), so good luck to the guy on the future.

I would have given him another year to be honest to manage the team transition to the premier league, so I can understand if he feels a bit salty about being let go. I’m sure this interview was just some frustration coming out. In some ways promotion was the worst thing that could have happened to his career prospects as he’s unlikely to get a club of villas stature now.

He won’t struggle to find another team though (probably championship level to be fair), so good luck to the guy on the future.

39 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Where’s his agent in all this? No heads up from them? Or any of his mates when the news broke? When it was announced by the club on Saturday, why didn’t anyone drop him a text to say “ah sorry to hear that mate, but you’ll find another club.”?

Or any of the squad for that matter? Why is he first finding out about it a few days later? Weird.

Anyway, thanks for everything Glenn. I probably didn’t appreciate you as much as you deserved, but you played your part in getting this club back on the up. All the best for the future.

Edit - looking at the quote again, I’m now reading it as he was coming back from his holiday, phone off during a flight. The club tried during this time and then didn’t wait around and issued a press release. Which is a bit poor from the club and would therefore make the first two paragraphs of this post nonsense.

No I don't think it is nonsense, there's no way his agent didn't know he wasnt getting a contract and with that being the case there's also no way him and agent haven't already dipped their toe in the water in the last couple of months to see what options he has available to him (even before the playoffs and what we did / didn't do, he would have shopped him around)

Yes it's a bit shit that we didn't sit him down and say thanks mate but at the same time there's no way in hell that he didn't know that he was a free agent as of the day 

26 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

No I don't think it is nonsense, there's no way his agent didn't know he wasnt getting a contract and with that being the case there's also no way him and agent haven't already dipped their toe in the water in the last couple of months to see what options he has available to him (even before the playoffs and what we did / didn't do, he would have shopped him around)

Yes it's a bit shit that we didn't sit him down and say thanks mate but at the same time there's no way in hell that he didn't know that he was a free agent as of the day 

Yeah by the time of my edit I had already forgotten that the club made an official announcement on the Saturday and I managed to confuse myself.

So either this reporter knew about it on the first Tuesday and they kept relatively quiet (cos I don’t think we knew about it on here so I assume no stories had been published) or Glenn literally only found out on his return home the following Tuesday. Which would beg the question why no one else sent him a text or anything about it after the announcement of it three days before.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Tried again?

I mean if it was literally

"Let's release Glenn"

*Try to call him*

"Oh **** it's been leaked to the press in the past 10 minutes"

Then fine.

But sounds like from what he said he had one missed call. It's hardly trying very hard is it?

To be honest I agree I think this is a non story at all. He even said he expected it sounds like he hasn’t moved like we have. Bets of luck glenn

On the surface it looks like poor form.....but things on the surface are sometimes false.

It looks to me like it was leaked to the press by folk at the club that had no responsibility of telling Glenn First. i.e Dean & Christian.

I understand he has squared things with Dean, who I would imagine has intended to do things right and explained so.

Best of luck,Glenn, forever grateful for your significant contribution.

• 1 month later...
Â