Glenn Whelan

Jareth

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He wasn't awful at all. 

He made one huge mistake. Absolutely. But he was actually fine, he just isn't very attacking so the game suited Hourihane when he cam eon instead.

I think he has been decent for us this year, but he was well below par IMO on that day. And gifting a goal the way he did is unacceptable in such a huge game. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

And gifting a goal the way he did is unacceptable in such a huge game. 

Yep it is.

But it was an uncharacteristic error. I highly doubt he'll do that again in the final and I think leaving a player out just because they made one mistake would be a mistake in itself.

If he gets left out, which is entirely possible. I doubt that error will have anything to do with the decision.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I actually don't think that is true at all. But each to their own.

I am being picky, because, I do like him.....I don't know who he will run with.

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep it is.

But it was an uncharacteristic error. I highly doubt he'll do that again in the final and I think leaving a player out just because they made one mistake would be a mistake in itself.

If he gets left out, which is entirely possible. I doubt that error will have anything to do with the decision.

It's not uncharacteristic. I'd say these ridiculous blunders have been a constant in his time here. 

1 minute ago, VillaJ100 said:

It's not uncharacteristic. I'd say these ridiculous blunders have been a constant in his time here. 

You're entitled to your opinion. 

41 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I agree he has that error in him. We hadn’t seen it since the blues game though and he has been playing well. I think he struggles against players that press at times.  He needs to stay switched on if he starts.

• Like 2

Majority of our players have an error in them, that’s why they are in the championship and not already in the prem. 

I agree that whelan can struggle when a team is pressing, I don’t really remember the games against derby earlier in the season but I don’t recall them being great at pressing. 

Personally I think Whelan has a very good football brain, and it shows when we are playing well. He gives McGinn and Grealish more freedom to go forward and also allows the centre backs to step out of defence. Yes Conor offers more offensively, but personally I think we play better with Whelan in the side and let’s not forget who got the assist for Jacks volley last time we played Derby 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree he has that error in him. We hadn’t seen it since the blues game though and he has been playing well. I think he struggles against players that press at times.  He needs to stay switched on if he starts.

I do too.....and there is more than just him.

16 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Majority of our players have an error in them, that’s why they are in the championship and not already in the prem. 

I agree that whelan can struggle when a team is pressing, I don’t really remember the games against derby earlier in the season but I don’t recall them being great at pressing. 

Personally I think Whelan has a very good football brain, and it shows when we are playing well. He gives McGinn and Grealish more freedom to go forward and also allows the centre backs to step out of defence. Yes Conor offers more offensively, but personally I think we play better with Whelan in the side and let’s not forget who got the assist for Jacks volley last time we played Derby 

that's one of the reasons, we have a chance.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I'd rather derby worry about how to stop us. Hourihane adds another player they need to worry about. 

I'm sure Derby will be worrying about stopping a few of our payers I just think it would be a bit naive to just disregard mounts ability and play all our attacking midfielders. Whelan will start I think. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, commander said:

DCM is the most important position on the pitch for me. We should play the person who is best suited to that position, whcih is Whelan. 

And drop Hourihane who has scored 3 times against Derby this season,?

28 minutes ago, tinker said:

And drop Hourihane who has scored 3 times against Derby this season,?

Yes.

Hourihane has scored more than McGinn and Jack, you want to drop one of them for him?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Yes.

Hourihane has scored more than McGinn and Jack, you want to drop one of them for him?

Would you drop any of them for Whelan?

1 hour ago, commander said:

DCM is the most important position on the pitch for me. We should play the person who is best suited to that position, whcih is Whelan. 

ditto.

16 minutes ago, tinker said:

And that's exactly what Steve Bruce would have thought......

But Whelan has been Smith’s first choice for most of his time here. 

People are talking like Whelan is never in the side. 

43 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But Whelan has been Smith’s first choice for most of his time here. 

People are talking like Whelan is never in the side. 

He nearly cost us dear against the baggies , not just in the misplaced pass but his positional play after. He pushed far to high up the pitch which left Grealish covering him further down the pitch.

If we play Whelan then we invite Derby onto us , they will not play a defensive player to nullify his attacking threat. They will play a more offensive player. Hourihane  on the other hand is a very difficult player to cover and I think they will be more defensive if he plays.

My nerves are now running at 10000rpm and if I'm honest, as long as we win I don't care who he plays. I know we should win and that's my  problem ,UTV 

4 minutes ago, tinker said:

He nearly cost us dear against the baggies , not just in the misplaced pass but his positional play after. He pushed far to high up the pitch which left Grealish covering him further down the pitch.

If we play Whelan then we invite Derby onto us , they will not play a defensive player to nullify his attacking threat. They will play a more offensive player. Hourihane  on the other hand is a very difficult player to cover and I think they will be more defensive if he plays.

My nerves are now running at 10000rpm and if I'm honest, as long as we win I don't care who he plays. I know we should win and that's my  problem ,UTV 

How did we beat them 4-0 with Whelan starting then?

Â