Glenn Whelan

Jareth

50 minutes ago, TRO said:

His decision making was precise and prudent today....His legs are suspect, But McGinn and Grealish were doing all that....Glenn was the general recycling everything and making good decisions.

The missing of key players has made players like Glenn look bad.....when every good team needs the diversity and balance.....superb today and the fans rightfully told him.

Whelan was superb today and has a big role to play in the remaining games, but what is evident this season is that he can't do it for 90mins for 4/5 games on the bounce. 

Which is why the international break has come at just the right time, not only does Whelan get a rest hopefully Lansbury will be back which will help with rotatation to give him a break from time to time.

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

After we were 1-0 up and Boro had to come forward he did well.

Prior to the 1-0 goal he was totally pointless.

Eh?

MOTM for me. Bossed the midfield, was excellent.  Read the game really well today- I wonder if he wants to get into coaching when he retires?

• Like 2

Monster today, every time he touched the ball pretty much it found a villa shirt, quite often one touch under pressure. Got forward and supported attacks, even getting in the box a few times. This and the Derby performance were amazing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, av1 said:

Whelan was superb today and has a big role to play in the remaining games, but what is evident this season is that he can't do it for 90mins for 4/5 games on the bounce. 

Which is why the international break has come at just the right time, not only does Whelan get a rest hopefully Lansbury will be back which will help with rotatation to give him a break from time to time.

Lansbury is not a holding mid

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Lansbury is not a holding mid

Nor is Hourihane but he has played there this season. The point is that Whelan needs resting from time to time and more options in midfield will allow for that. 

5 hours ago, romavillan said:

Monster today, every time he touched the ball pretty much it found a villa shirt, quite often one touch under pressure. Got forward and supported attacks, even getting in the box a few times. This and the Derby performance were amazing.

He is the Irish Xavi after all😉

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

I said before that Whelan needs be protected to get best from him. With Jack back we can rotate Whelan/Hourihane which is best for us long term

I think Mings and Hause attacking the ball like Laursen and Mellberg....has helped him too.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think Mings and Hause attacking the ball like Laursen and Mellberg....has helped him too.

Agree with the point - and I know it’s something you’ve referred to as being a problem for a good while now - but for me they are more Evans and Mcnaught.....although obviously it’s esrly days. Mings in particular reminds me of Evans, though I don’t really know why !

In any case, the fact that they are both strong as heck, commanding in the air and on the deck, and dovetail perfectly, certainly adds to the things happen8ng further up the pitch.

• Like 1

No one has mentioned his shot from inside his own half!?  Shame the wind did not catch that as would have been goal of the season!

I actually thought he shanked a pass to El Ghazi out wide in reality but still looked good when Randolph got worried for a second or two.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

One of his best games for Ireland tonight, he did defensive job as normal but got on the ball further up the pitch

Dont think he has had a manager before Smith to encourage that and is underrated part of his game

On 17/03/2019 at 11:12, Dr_Pangloss said:

He played very well. It's absolutely not the case that he is doing his 'usual', he has definitely stepped things up performance wise in a big way in the past couple of months.

Can’t help wondering if he’s maybe been encouraged to be more than a destructive DM.

Gives the appearance of someone relishing the opportunity to show more of his skills.

Will retire and think what he could have been if he hadn't have spent 10 years playing Pulis and Bruceball.

Probably the most in form central midfielder in Europe right now and it's a shame the FIFA XI awards aren't at the end of this season because he would be a shoo-in for me.

Kante and Modric? Go stick it up your bollocks.

• Haha 2

I really like the fella.....really pleased that he has found some form.

The criticisms were apt, when they were made....but he does bring about an air of calmness and composure  to our play....now that he is playing better, great....adds to the roundedness of the team.

It's just so encouraging to finally see each player contributing their bit of style to create the whole.....That's what a "team" is.

paradoxically, they are finally not looking like a bunch of individuals....hope we can keep it up.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Will retire and think what he could have been if he hadn't have spent 10 years playing Pulis and Bruceball.

Trappatoni and MON at international level. He never had a chance 😂

On 17/03/2019 at 06:45, Delphinho123 said:

Another player Grealish has helped..

well, I think Grealish is that type of player....He helps everybody.

Â