Glenn Whelan

Jareth

1 minute ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Please post a link to that statistic? I can almost guarantee you've misconstrued it. 

All stats available on the chalkboards from individual games here

vs West Brom: 57 passes forward out of 79 total - 72%

vs Brentford: 29 passes forward out of 38 total - 76%

vs Sheff Utd: 22 passes forward out of 29 total - 76%

vs Reading: 16 passes forward out of 32 total - 50%

vs Ipswich: 29 passes forward out of 46 total - 64%

vs Wigan: 13 passes forward out of 19 total - 68%

I went back a bit further and he did have two low percentage games vs Ipswich and Reading which does bring the average down, so I take back the 75% statement. It's probably more accurate to say it's in the 60's. 

But it's still miles away from your "he only passes backwards" statement

I think it's more he mostly makes "safe" passes rather than passes backwards. Nothing wrong with that, he's not supposed to be a creative force for us.

The further back you play the more forward passes you're likely to make, there is only so far back you can get before you give away a corner. And most of our passing (like with most teams) are done by the central defenders and the sitting midfielders.

They are also likely to have the highest passing % simply because they attempt the least risky passes and are under less pressure/have most options.

Whelan can actually pass the ball, unlike Jedi who struggled with even basic distribution.

For Whelan I'd imagine his passing % is much higher during the first 30 minutes of the game compared to the second 30 or whenever he is subbed. Also to be expected with his age and the role he plays.

• Like 1

Whelans passing is fine. His problem is he doesn’t have the legs anymore to get around the pitch as he once could.

It’s of no fault of his own, he’s nearing the end of his career.  

It’s just when Mcginn is further up the field and Hourihane just lets players run past him as easily as he does, Whelan becomes easily isolated.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, sne said:

I think it's more he mostly makes "safe" passes rather than passes backwards. Nothing wrong with that, he's not supposed to be a creative force for us.

Exactly this.

He has always done a solid job for us. He is also a solid pro. Never understood the hate. People need to get off his back. There is always at least half a team worse than him.

I went to school with Graham Turners son. I can remember a time when he was so upset at school following the abuse that he, his brothers, sister and mum had had to put up with at one match. Some low life spat at his mum. He hated Villa from that day forward and I never blamed him. Some people need to grow up. Moronic

2 hours ago, M_Afro said:

He has always done a solid job for us. He is also a solid pro. Never understood the hate. People need to get off his back. There is always at least half a team worse than him.

I went to school with Graham Turners son. I can remember a time when he was so upset at school following the abuse that he, his brothers, sister and mum had had to put up with at one match. Some low life spat at his mum. He hated Villa from that day forward and I never blamed him. Some people need to grow up. Moronic

Disgusting, I can see how that would turn someone against a club tbh.

I read a very interesting article about Jay Boothroyd (not sure how his surname is spelt), about his time playing on Japan and the very very different culture over there.

Not saying it's good or bad, but was an insightful read.

Edited by MaVilla

15 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Unfortunately a lot of football fans are just thick...and imo we seem to have more than most teams. When the happiness of these morons lives is dependant on the result of a game of football this is what you get. 

He "passed" the ball out for a throw quite a few times yesterday. I can understand when its an attempted long range pass that's slightly overhit or underhit, but these were 20 yard passes. I'm sorry but I expect a central midfielder to be better in this area.

I realise though there aren't many options in midfield at the moment and with everyone fit he probably wouldn't be playing, but let's not exaggerate that he's been a good signing or that some fans are making up how poor he really is. Fully expect him to be gone in the summer.  

• Like 1

I'm sure he will be gone one way or another....... His family we ensure that's the case if that's the behaviour they have to endure, ridiculous!

We had this before did we not with Westwood a few seasons back and several others, Now it's Hourihane & Whelan in the main although i've also seen Adomah, Hogan, the keepers, Jedinak, Hutton, Taylor, Kodija &.......... Oh hang on that's most of the team!.....& people wonder why we seldom see a motivated team at Villa :crylaugh:

What does his wag expect? Crap footballers to be treated like gods at all moments? To fund her lifestyle he's blagged a contract out of Villa based on his past achievements.  His legs gave up years ago. He only stands out as playing well when the rest of the team are absolute garbage. She should dump him and start seeing McGinn if she wants a player who gets adoration.

Too many times Villa have signed players due to their professionalism. ie. makes it to training on time, says yes boss no boss typical smoke blower.

1 minute ago, screwdriver said:

What does his wag expect? Crap footballers to be treated like gods at all moments? To fund her lifestyle he's blagged a contract out of Villa based on his past achievements.  His legs gave up years ago. He only stands out as playing well when the rest of the team are absolute garbage. She should dump him and start seeing McGinn if she wants a player who gets adoration.

Too many times Villa have signed players due to their professionalism. ie. makes it to training on time, says yes boss no boss typical smoke blower.

Get a grip

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â