Your Fantasy 5 Piece

maqroll

32 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Lead vocals/guitar - Bonnie Raitt

Guitar/lap steel/fiddle - David Lindley

Lead guitar - Richard Thompson

Bass - James Jamerson

Drums - Jim Keltner

I was going to try and pick a band of Soul players, and JJ was down to play bass. Donald Duck Dunne and Bootsy Collins were considered too.

11 hours ago, maqroll said:

You have 5 categories:

1. Lead Vocalist

2. Rhythm Guitar

3. Lead Guitar

4. Bass

5. Drums

Name your optimum all time band, and you must consider how they would sound if they actually played together. Pick from any music genre.

Name - DHUTWU

Their Sound - Metal / funk... like a heavy Incubus / Red Hot Chilli Peppers meets Parliament but, with Grace Slick style vocals

1. Lead Vocalist - Natasha Khan (Bat For Lashes)

2. Rhythm Guitar - Kurt Cobain

3. Lead Guitar - Jimi Hendrix

4. Bass - Bootsy Collins

5. Drums - John Bonham

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

1. Lead Vocalist - As it's a rock band I'm putting together I think it needs to be more than just about the vocals , so based on presence he'd give and not just vocals  , I'm going with Jim Morrison , I reckon he could deliver in a rock band , some of his Doors vocals were pretty powerful

2. Rhythm Guitar - Would have said Chuck Berry , but I'm not sure he'd suit my band , ditto Hendrix  , so the nod goes to Johhny Marr

3. Lead Guitar - Stuart Adamson - The White Hendrix as John Peel once described him , he's not flashy so wont win those boring predictable polls that always contain the same boring names , but boy he could play   

4. Bass - Peter Hook - to give my band that distinctive sound

5. Drums - Can't go beyond Keith Moon , has their ever been a better rock drummer ?

so there you go .. tickets for the gig go on sale via Ticketmaster at 09:00 on Monday and will be available for 6 times the price on our sister website ripyouoffbecausewecan.com  at 09:01 on Monday

Moon is my favourite drummer, but I doubt he would of fitted in anywhere else apart from The Who.

Soul / Funk:

Drums: Bernard Purdie

Bass: James Jamerson

Rhythm Guitar: Steve Cropper

Lead Guitar: Eddie Hazel

Singer: James Brown

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Moon is my favourite drummer, but I doubt he would of fitted in anywhere else apart from The Who.

left the band at one point after a fall out and nearly joined the Animals if you believe the interweb ..but re-joined the band instead

But I kinda get where you are coming from  , though I'm sure he'd have made it work for my super group

Vocalist- Robert plant. The guy in his prime was superb. He could rock out, do the blues and soften it up a bit. 

Lead Guitar- Ritchie Blackmore. When he was on there was no one better. An absolute demon of a guitarist back in the day. 

Rhythm Guitar- Tony Iommi. The greatest riff writer of all time. That alone makes him a god.

Bass- Geezer Butler. One of the great bass players. Not only does he play bass, but he writes superb lyrics. Him and plant are on song writing duties.

Drums-John Bonham. This is a heavy rock band, so what better drummer to have. The hammer of the gods.

This band would be pretty heavy. infact terrifyingly heavy, but with the ability to be diverse with it. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, veloman said:

Purdie  I think. Bernard 'Pretty' Purdie. Inventor of the Purdie shuffle

Yeah, that's the fellow. T'was a mistype. Thanks for pointing that out. :thumb:

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Vocalist- Robert plant. The guy in his prime was superb. He could rock out, do the blues and soften it up a bit. 

Lead Guitar- Ritchie Blackmore. When he was on there was no one better. An absolute demon of a guitarist back in the day. 

Rhythm Guitar- Tony Iommi. The greatest riff writer of all time. That alone makes him a god.

Bass- Geezer Butler. One of the great bass players. Not only does he play bass, but he writes superb lyrics. Him and plant are on song writing duties.

Drums-John Bonham. This is a heavy rock band, so what better drummer to have. The hammer of the gods.

This band would be pretty heavy. infact terrifyingly heavy, but with the ability to be diverse with it. 

So you will have Lord of the Rings from Saurons and the Orks point of view?

Off the top of my head banging head:

1. Lead Vocals - Robert Plant.

2. Rhythm Guitar - Keith Richards. 

3. Lead Guitar - Jimmy Page.

4. Bass - Lemmy.

5. Drums - Carl Palmer.

Edited by John
  • Like 2

1. Lead Vocalist

Anita Carter. If angels existed and had a voice they would sound like Anita Carter. 

2. Rhythm Guitar (steel guitar)

Paul Franklin. My favourite musician who has played on most of my favourite songs. He played everything and could easily have took all these spots. 

3. Lead Guitar

James Burton. 

4. Bass

Suzi Quatro. 70's Suzi looked great and played a mean bass. 

5. Drums

WS Holland, Cash's drummer. The best. 

19 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Classic Rock...

Drums: Bill Ward (Not many people are gonna hit the kit as hard as Bill)

Bass: John Entwisted (I was very tempted to go for Gezzer though)

Rhythm: Neil Young (I just want him in the band)

Lead: Jimi (as if it could be anyone else)

Lead Singer: Janis Joplin (was tempted to go Grace Slick, but Janis edges is on power of voice)

Alt Rock...

Dave Grohl (please stop writing dull Dad rock, and get back behind a drum kit!)

Bass: Kim Deal (It was gonna be her or Kim Gordon. You gotta have a Kim playing bass in an alt rock band)

Rhythm: Spiral Stairs (the glue that held Pavement together)

Lead: J Mascis (guitar solos that could melt your face)

Lead Singer: Kurt Cobain (just has to be him)

That's it for now, but I'm sure I'll return with a few more contributions.

Janis definitely has the power, but I much prefer grace slicks voice. 

• Like 2

1. Lead Vocals - Layne Staley (The quintessential voice of the early 90s. Wanted Eddie Vedder in here as well but hey ho, he can do backing vocals)

2. Rhythm Guitar - Steve Clark (Riffmaster of the 80s. One of my favourite sounding guitarists in terms of rhythm, heaviness and tempo)

3. Lead Guitar - Mike McCready (One of a very few lead guitarists that doesn't get on my tits by being show-offs )

4. Bass - Mark King (Yes, he can play a bit)

5. Drums - Peter Wildoer (For being a freakishly fast drummer (auditioned for Dream Theater) and soon to be my sons math and drum-teacher :D )

6 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Janis definitely has the power, but I much prefer grace slicks gums round my plums

• Like 1

Â