Ahmed Elmohamady

Phumfeinz

7 hours ago, Spoony said:

Yes really. Well over half of what I read here is just fans laying into players and the managers, sometimes before a player is signed or s ball is kicked. Can you blame some player last for giving up the season we went down with just how poisonous the atmosphere was. People sarcastically cheered corners FFS. 

Im not sure our fans are the worst in the world because much as it may seem otherwise, we certainly have not 'suffered' as much as some clubs with our decline... yet. However, I do agree with the general thrust of your post, which to my eyes, seems to describe a potent cocktail of inherent, deep Brummie scepticism, the aforementioned perceived suffering of fans and in some cases, the over zealous modern disease of utterly ridiculous over reacting on social media.

I agree with Trent's view that people are entitled to moan on here, at the match and wherever else they like, but the reason I sometimes comment sarcastically on it happening here is because I also believe there is a consequence to endlessly repeated negativity, namely that fans and players do ultimately give up because they are affected by the prevailing mood. Sure, fans can say I pay good money and the players serve up crap, but if we accept all players are limited to some degree, how exactly is a campaign of booing and highlighting their mistakes going to help?

'Screaming' that X is shite because he made ten missed passes last season, or that Bruce is an old school dinosaur, even if true, isn't going to enable either to overcome their shortcomings and this gets to the nub of it. Yes, your moan may be valid and yes, you are free to express it if you so choose, but by the same token, you could choose not to express it and look for the positives instead. In the end, like most things in life, it comes down to an attitude of mind.

In my opinion, negativity breeds negativity, in the same way that positivity breeds positivity, to the point that either can become a self fulfilling prophecy and both, to some extent, are a choice we make. Some booing or sarcasm is fine, but when it's endless, it quickly becomes dull, annoying and a part of the problem, rather than a simple reaction to it.

Edited by Lerner's Driver
  • Like 2

Just feels like Habib Beye all over again, and only further highlights Bruce's laziness IMHO. I do hope I'm wrong though, and Elmo turns out to be the missing piece in the puzzle.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gillz said:

Good enough to get promoted - Great.

Not good enough for the Premier League - We'll cross that hurdle when we get there.

That was the philosophy behind the Elphick signing if I remember correctly...

12 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

That was the philosophy behind the Elphick signing if I remember correctly...

I'd argue its been the philosophy behind quite a few signings. Some of them have worked, some haven't. Lets wait and see what category Elmo falls into before we start writing him off before he's kicked a ball.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gillz said:

I'd argue its been the philosophy behind quite a few signings. Some of them have worked, some haven't. Lets wait and see what category Elmo falls into before we start writing him off before he's kicked a ball.

Flawed, imo. Just because a player has achieved promotion at a club isn't necessarily an indicator of their quality. We need players and/or a manager who are a level above the Championship to get out of the Championship. Our recruitment policy seems to have been to recruit players with promotion experience or players who going by their stats were the best or safest option available in the hope that they can reproduce that form for us without looking any deeper. The Bruce appointment followed the same line of thinking. A short-sighted approach, imo.

Edited by Michael118
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Oh dear. What's damning about that 2nd post is the clear reference to him having lost whatever he had. 

I've spoken to a Hull friend of mine is is delighted to get rid of him so it seems there may be something in those posts. 

Seems to another average squad player at a time when we are desperate for quality starting players.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Flawed, imo. Just because a player has achieved promotion at a club isn't necessarily an indicator of their quality. We need players and/or a manager who are a level above the Championship to get out of the Championship. Our recruitment policy seems to have been to recruit players with promotion experience or players who going by their stats were the best players of the Championship or the safest option available. The Bruce appointment followed the same line of thinking. A short-sighted approach, imo.

You may think its short sighted, i think its realistic and pragmatic.

I'd love us to sign  'players who are a level above the championship', and i think in some cases we have (Terry, Chester, Taylor etc)...but it is nigh on impossible to do this with every signing. Firstly there are the financial considerations - we cant afford / FFP wont allow us to splash £10m on every player in the starting XI. Secondly there's the psychological  considerations - What player in their right mind would be wiling to give up PL to drop down the the championship (unless they are promised stupid wages which would take us back to the financial considerations). Instead we are having to settle with a blend of PL quality, high performance Championship players and players with some experience of promotion. 

Now i will agree with you that this is slightly short-sighted, in that it focuses purely on promotion and not how to survive in the Prem once we are there....but as i said before lets win promotion first and then worry about that hurdle when we get there. If last season showed anything its that the championship isnt easy, and the fact that we are a 'big club' gives us no divine right to waltz out way back to the Prem. 

5 minutes ago, KHV said:

I'm not convinced we need a 4th right back :unsure:

Yeah, what will Bacuna do now?

He'll be moved down to 5th choice. That might hamper his chances to get into the Curacao world cup squad.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah, what will Bacuna do now?

He'll be moved down to 5th choice. That might hamper his chances to get into the Curacao world cup squad.

I'd totally forgotten about Bacuna!

19 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

That's just ridiculous. You are belittling our fans for having genuine concern about signing a player Hull City want to offload, by making up nonsense that we wouldn't want Ronaldo. 

It really is pathetic how people get attacked on here for simply showing disapproval of a signing.

Not at all I just think there are some massive overreactions to signings at times. Players should be judged on their performances in a claret and blue shirt.

Neil Taylor is the prime example of a player that many people didn't want who has turned out as one of the best signings from last season.

Â