Ahmed Elmohamady

Phumfeinz

17 hours ago, rbcuk said:

How he started in front of Guilbert today I’ll never know, joke of a performance 

Because Guilbert isn't that good ?  - not sure what he does that he is so rated on here. OK going forward - but seems very easy to get past - and ends up making loads of last ditch tackles. 

Nasty feeling he'll be starting at Sheff U. 

Don't really mind that match but I don't want him in the team v Watford or Southampton.

Took Smith ages and ages to drop him and Targett at the start of the season.

I think Smith follows a fairly simple philosophy of 'if you played really well in your last match, I'll try to give you a chance in the next match'. Elmo earned a start by his performance against Chelsea; by all accounts, he squandered his opportunity against Leicester (I didn't see the game). There might also have been a question of resting Guilbert, given that he does cover a lot of pitch each game. 

I would imagine Guilbert start against Sheff Utd.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think Smith follows a fairly simple philosophy of 'if you played really well in your last match, I'll try to give you a chance in the next match'. Elmo earned a start by his performance against Chelsea; by all accounts, he squandered his opportunity against Leicester (I didn't see the game). There might also have been a question of resting Guilbert, given that he does cover a lot of pitch each game. 

I would imagine Guilbert start against Sheff Utd.

I think Smith needs to forget that philosophy totally and adapt the the play your best 11 philosophy, sentiment will get us relegated.

On 09/12/2019 at 09:35, hippo said:

Because Guilbert isn't that good ?  - not sure what he does that he is so rated on here. OK going forward - but seems very easy to get past - and ends up making loads of last ditch tackles. 

I don't dislike him, but he is also vulnerable to high balls at the back post....He has that bit of tenacity that Elmo struggles to raise and is much quicker, but like Elmo his positioning is suspect.....braver than Elmo to take a shot.

The problem is all our players except Jack, have good points and bad points and its hard to pick a team without losing something....i.e leave Conor out and you have lost his wand of a left peg.....put him in and he loses the ball in the middle of the park too easily, they nearly all do that mind you.

The players are not complete enough.....whether that changes in time, I have no idea.

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, zab6359 said:

I think Smith needs to forget that philosophy totally and adapt the the play your best 11 philosophy, sentiment will get us relegated.

Nothing to do with sentiment. He does it to keep everyone on their toes and fighting for their place. I'm happy for him to keep doing it.

MON used to go with the best 11 philosophy, and in the long run it left us with a burnt out starting 11, and loads of expensive signings losing value on the bench who didn't perform when we needed them. Much prefer Smith's approach. (And before you say MON got us to 6th place, he had a much better squad than Smith currently has.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Nothing to do with sentiment. He does it to keep everyone on their toes and fighting for their place. I'm happy for him to keep doing it.

MON used to go with the best 11 philosophy, and in the long run it left us with a burnt out starting 11, and loads of expensive signings losing value on the bench who didn't perform when we needed them. Much prefer Smith's approach. (And before you say MON got us to 6th place, he had a much better squad than Smith currently has.)

Nah....that was years ago the game has changed😂

5 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I'm not as I said that sort of sentiment keeps you out of the bottom three on GD alone

• 2 weeks later...

I'd put Elmo back in.

He brings leadership to our defense, is decent in the air and has a good cross in him, all of which we sorely miss at the moment.

He also occationally is dangerous up front with his smart moves.

We are currently in a slump meaning that whoever isn't playing is the one we feel should have been playing.

If Elmo plays next game I wouldn't be surprised if after the game we all think that Guilbert should have started.

23 minutes ago, sne said:

We are currently in a slump meaning that whoever isn't playing is the one we feel should have been playing.

If Elmo plays next game I wouldn't be surprised if after the game we all think that Guilbert should have started.

I don't agree with this. There are logical reasons why Elmo might be more suited to our current situation.

1 minute ago, AVTuco said:

I don't agree with this. There are logical reasons why Elmo might be more suited to our current situation.

His best asset is his crossing and we usually don't have anyone in the box because Wes is never where he is supposed to be.

Just now, sne said:

His best asset is his crossing and we usually don't have anyone in the box because Wes is never where he is supposed to be.

He has leader qualities and is good in the air. With Mings out, we need both of those.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 16:23, zab6359 said:

This is probably true, but these are probably also the same people moaning is someone who played well in a match gets dropped for the next game.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

46 minutes ago, sne said:

Oh, just to add, I may not agree with your first point, but I am certain your second point is true.

• Like 1

Â