Ahmed Elmohamady

Phumfeinz

Again, as we have seen with Grealish, having an unsettled role doesn't benefit players. Elmo has spent a lot of this season in midfield, and when at right back he has had different players ahead of him, from Adomah to El Ghazi and Bolasie. Hard for him to build up an effective partnership under those circumstances. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

On 19/09/2018 at 15:00, TRO said:

I accept most of the comments.

He is not for me, he is neither one thing or the other....too tentative and indecisive for me, stands off too much and winces at tough challenges, instead of giving as good as he gets.

The claim he is our best right back is an indictment on the rest.

It was a good cross for the goal....but I suspect had anyone other than Bolasie been there, it would have ended up an innocuous cross.....his sharp reaction and bravery made that goal.

12 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Elmohamady is not a good enough right back to be playing for us in the position - he hides; week in, week out you can see him pointing at a left winger whilst running away from him, you can see him playing his stock ball down the line to nobody, you can see him pick up a ball on the right and not dream of taking on the opposition fullback, you can see him pick up a ball that's broken from a set piece and look to play sidewards, backwards, anywhere that means he won't get noticed, won't make a mistake. He's trying very hard to do as little as possible so that he can't be blamed for anything.

I'm glad someone can see it.

He lacks belief, bravery, conviction and aggression.

We are not going up with players playing like that.....However the manager plays him so he must take responsibility.

I would not want to be in the trenches next to him.

He is not a natural defender and not a natural winger....so what is he??????????

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

We are not going up with players playing like that.....However the manager plays him so he must take responsibility.

He is not a natural defender and not a natural winger....so what is he??????????

Did you watching the Sheffield Wednesday game? All of our players save for McGinn lacked those traits. It's largely down to coaching. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Did you watching the Sheffield Wednesday game? All of our players save for McGinn lacked those traits. It's largely down to coaching. 

I did watch it....but I was talking about Elmohamady and what I see in other games too

Most of them were the same, but by excluding them, doesn't negate him.

I am not arguing about the coaching, it does appear to be low grade.....but the things i pointed out are usually intrinsic.

It is extremely difficult to coach bravery or conviction in to a player.

Edited by TRO

6 hours ago, TRO said:

I did watch it....but I was talking about Elmohamady and what I see in other games too

Most of them were the same, but by excluding them, doesn't negate him.

I am not arguing about the coaching, it does appear to be low grade.....but the things i pointed out are usually intrinsic.

It is extremely difficult to coach bravery or conviction in to a player.

It takes time to coach bravery or conviction and it comes more from culture than from "coaching".    (coaching is about technique, strategy, tactics, move - culture is a much stronger influence on attitude.)

However, it's not hard to coach bravery and conviction (or at least what they generally look like) OUT of players.  Just keep telling them to drop deeper and expect someone farther up the pitch to move back and mark the player while you drop ever deeper.  (which by the way, draws your midfield and forwards into deeper positions and out of any attacking space they may have found.  which clearly slows any transition from defense to offence, so it promotes, long hopeful balls to isolated forwards. any of that sound familiar?)   

(As an aside... maybe there's a reason Elmohamady is clearly one of the manager favorites and is found a place in the side no matter what formation or alignment we use... maybe he's following instructions really well, and has the manager's vision for how to play?)

We are seeing the same thing (I think). I honestly think Bruce sees it, and thinks he's addressing it by "rolling up sleeves, pulling up socks, and putting on boots."  But I don't think he sees that his strategy and coaching is creating it.

the sooner we change manager the better.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

However, it's not hard to coach bravery and conviction (or at least what they generally look like) OUT of players.  Just keep telling them to drop deeper and expect someone farther up the pitch to move back and mark the player while you drop ever deeper.  (which by the way, draws your midfield and forwards into deeper positions and out of any attacking space they may have found.  which clearly slows any transition from defense to offence, so it promotes, long hopeful balls to isolated forwards. any of that sound familiar?)   

(As an aside... maybe there's a reason Elmohamady is clearly one of the manager favorites and is found a place in the side no matter what formation or alignment we use... maybe he's following instructions really well, and has the manager's vision for how to play?)

I'd agree if we didn't have the exact opposite on the other flank. Hutton loves responsibility - no ball on? he goes on a run. Winger coming at him? he'll come out to meet him. Tackling, passing, being available, trying things, Hutton wants to be the person making things happen - for me it's not physical courage, or tackling aggression that Elmohamady lacks, it's the desire to take responsibility, to put himself in a position where he is the focus - he's probably a better technical footballer than Hutton - he's half the player.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

It takes time to coach bravery or conviction and it comes more from culture than from "coaching".    (coaching is about technique, strategy, tactics, move - culture is a much stronger influence on attitude.)

We are seeing the same thing (I think). I honestly think Bruce sees it, and thinks he's addressing it by "rolling up sleeves, pulling up socks, and putting on boots."  But I don't think he sees that his strategy and coaching is creating it.

the sooner we change manager the better.

sounds Feasible enough.

Yeah, I've reached that conclusion too....just took longer than some to come round to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd agree if we didn't have the exact opposite on the other flank. Hutton loves responsibility - no ball on? he goes on a run. Winger coming at him? he'll come out to meet him. Tackling, passing, being available, trying things, Hutton wants to be the person making things happen - for me it's not physical courage, or tackling aggression that Elmohamady lacks, it's the desire to take responsibility, to put himself in a position where he is the focus - he's probably a better technical footballer than Hutton - he's half the player.

I agree with your observation about Hutton.  And I'll agree that Hutton can be a bit of a headless chicken and wander off at ill advised moments.  But which of the two (Elmo or Hutton) do you think Bruce favors and writes on the team sheet first, as opposed to which one he puts on the sheet because he trusts the only other name he can put there, even less?  (i.e. Hutton plays ahead of Taylor on the left.... Elmo plays ahead of 3 or 4 -including Hutton- at RB and ahead of 2 or 3 including El Ghazi and Bolasie at RW.)  As I said, I think that's because Bruce prefers "drop and delay" that's what he coaches and instructs and rewards (IMO).  And that causes many of the various problems I noted above.  He just doesn't have anyone that does that well on the left.  (oh, so let's put Jack there for extra cover, again, nullifying attack in order to play a safer defense.)

10 hours ago, TRO said:

Not good enough!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I would have given RDL a chance..

or Bree or **** even Hutton at right back. For me and I have said it before,  Elmohammady is garbage and one of worst players to play for Aston Villa

He can whip in a good cross to be fair. 

I would give Bree a good run of games though, he's never going to improve being a bit part player. Elmo isn't awful but he's getting on and is only going in one direction. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 24/09/2018 at 22:30, Zatman said:

or Bree or **** even Hutton at right back. For me and I have said it before,  Elmohammady is garbage and one of worst players to play for Aston Villa

you really hate Ahmed Elmohamady wow. nearly as bad as the guy on here that hated Marc Albrighton and look how that turned out.......

;)

On 24/09/2018 at 22:30, Zatman said:

Elmohammady is garbage and one of worst players to play for Aston Villa

Come on. I know you're one for hyperbole when you don't like a player but this is nonsense.

Edited by Stevo985

On 24/09/2018 at 22:51, Wezbid said:

He can whip in a good cross to be fair. 

I would give Bree a good run of games though, he's never going to improve being a bit part player. Elmo isn't awful but he's getting on and is only going in one direction. 

I like him but most of his crosses go straight to the opposing keeper in a way that is easy to catch, every now and then he puts a good ball in though.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Come on. I know you're one for hyperbole when you don't like a player but this is nonsense.

Maybe was a tad OTT and think I might have been tired

But I just hate seeing his name on the team sheet. 

Â