Budapest & Vienna

This Could Be Rotterdam

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thanks, i just booked  ahotel, had a look at flights very reasonable £79 return per person 

how much much was the bus journey to Bratislava? 

Was 5€ one way i think. Was really cheap

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Was 5€ one way i think. Was really cheap

Thanks, wow that does sound cheap i need to look into this. might do do two days touring vienna then the saturday do a day trip to bratislava 

On 04/04/2018 at 09:38, Demitri_C said:

Just booked to go Vienna for next March for a city break with the Mrs. If anyone has any recommendations on what to do out there and restaurants that would be  a great help.  

We did the usual stuff, go up St Stephen's, round Mozart's house, the big palace thing, museums and other sightseeing.  Most of it was in and around the city centre from what i remember.  Food-wise you can get wienerschnitzel or goulash in pretty much any restaurant but I had it once in a place called the Black Camel near the posh designer shops and that was enough.  I'm not a great fan of Germanic food.  Then there is a supposedly old and famous restaurant called Cafe Landtmann near the parliament which did some nice other food as well as the classics.  Our best meal was in the hotel.  Overall I really liked the city.  I was in Berlin last week and reckon I preferred Vienna but then Berlin has a much harsher history and still recovering imo.

13 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

We did the usual stuff, go up St Stephen's, round Mozart's house, the big palace thing, museums and other sightseeing.  Most of it was in and around the city centre from what i remember.  Food-wise you can get wienerschnitzel or goulash in pretty much any restaurant but I had it once in a place called the Black Camel near the posh designer shops and that was enough.  I'm not a great fan of Germanic food.  Then there is a supposedly old and famous restaurant called Cafe Landtmann near the parliament which did some nice other food as well as the classics.  Our best meal was in the hotel.  Overall I really liked the city.  I was in Berlin last week and reckon I preferred Vienna but then Berlin has a much harsher history and still recovering imo.

Thanks mate

I have no idea what a wienerschnitzel is but will definitely try! 

Is it expensive or reasonable the city itself? 

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Thanks mate

I have no idea what a wienerschnitzel is but will definitely try! 

Is it expensive or reasonable the city itself? 

I think it was pretty reasonable for a capital city, certainly a lot cheaper than Stockholm and probably London.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got back from Budapest this weekend. This was my second time. Have to say although still had a lot of laughs Budapest has gone abit down hill from my first time. It's become a bit more sleazy than when I first went and the quality of food has got worse.

Also got approached by so many people trying to sell me drugs and dodgey things. The level of homelessness also seems high as there was a lot of rough sleepers. The nightlife wasnt as good as when I first went either. The food quality has gone abit shit too. Even sir Lancelot the food was very overcooked and had not as much flavour as I remembered.

I did though on this occasion get to do the outdoor baths which were awesome

• 3 months later...
On 05/10/2018 at 16:07, Wainy316 said:

Off to Vienna in a fortnight.

Currently got booked Opera, Lipizzaner horses and Austria Vienna v Sturm Graz.

Sounds good let me know how you get on as going vienna in March for 3 nights. Going to squeeze in Bratislava for the day as well

• 4 months later...
On 05/10/2018 at 10:07, Wainy316 said:

Off to Vienna in a fortnight.

Currently got booked Opera, Lipizzaner horses and Austria Vienna v Sturm Graz.

How did you book the Opera tickets and which one did you go to? 

I'll be in Vienna in May, and really want to go to an Opera there. 

3 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I saw Elektra and used this web-site to book in advance:

https://www.culturall.com/ticket/btv/performance_schedule.mc?type=venues&haus_bez=WIENER STAATSOPER&haus_bez=Gustav Mahler - Saal Wr. Staatsoper&haus_bez=Studiobühne Walfischgasse&haus_bez=Staatsoper Live-Übertragung&haus_bez=Staatsoper Video on Demand&haus_bez=Culturall-Gutschein&haus_bez=Gutschein Staatsoper&haus_bez=Staatsoper für Kinder%2FWalfischgasse&haus_bez=Programmheft Staatsoper&haus_bez=AGRANA Studiobühne Walfischgasse

Prices can vary a lot and demand seems quite high.  However an alternative is to go to the box office a few hours before a performance where they release standing tickets for just a few euros.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Czechlad said:

t'was a few years ago when I did it but they release a limited amount of standing tickets on the day of the performance ( about 90 mins before it starts)  , first come first serve ,  we happened to come out of the Sacher hotel ( famous and overpriced chocolate cake with afternoon tea) and saw people starting to queue so thats how we found out about it  .. think we were about 10 people or so in front of the cut off so just made it in

drawback was you are standing for the performance ..but we got to see a performance in the vienna opera house for about €3

if you opt for this  , the ITK people take a scarf in with them , once your in , you tie it around the area you wish to stand and its a kinda unwritten code that you are reserving that spot .. bit like Germans with their towels and sun loungers  :)

proper tickets might be first choice but as Plan B's go this is worth considering

• Thanks 1

If your going siteseeing probably worth getting the vienna pass. I just brought mine and it seems to cover quite a lot includes hop on and off bus. 

Am so looking forward to this. Going to get the coach to Bratislava for the day too form vienna 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

If your going siteseeing probably worth getting the vienna pass. I just brought mine and it seems to cover quite a lot includes hop on and off bus. 

Am so looking forward to this. Going to get the coach to Bratislava for the day too form vienna 

boat is about an hour and a quarter but  might be more enjoyable even if you do it one way

Sight seeing pass is probably worth it for the discounted entrance costs but I'm not sure you'll need the hop on hop off bus   ... last time I was there I rode the metro into town and then most attractions are walkable to each other , you kinda walk past the riding school  , through the palace and come out at the museum quarter  and the parliament building is  just around the corner  ( for example ) ..time you wait for a hoppy bus you'd have walked it

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

boat is about an hour and a quarter but  might be more enjoyable even if you do it one way

Sight seeing pass is probably worth it for the discounted entrance costs but I'm not sure you'll need the hop on hop off bus   ... last time I was there I rode the metro into town and then most attractions are walkable to each other , you kinda walk past the riding school  , through the palace and come out at the museum quarter  and the parliament building is  just around the corner  ( for example ) ..time you wait for a hoppy bus you'd have walked it

Oh really didn’t know that. We was looking to do the zoo and Madame Tussaud’s as well which are included in the Vienna pass.

didnt even know there was a boat that goes there’? Does the boat drop you by the old town as that’s really what all we were looking to do in Bratislava for the day?

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Oh really didn’t know that. We was looking to do the zoo and Madame Tussaud’s as well which are included in the Vienna pass.

didnt even know there was a boat that goes there’? Does the boat drop you by the old town as that’s really what all we were looking to do in Bratislava for the day?

says departures from Bratislava old town on the timetable  , so it should be fairly close

https://twincityliner.com/en/index.html

think someone on  here did it and said it wasn't much cop but it might be something a bit different rather than coach trip  ,you can  then get the train back and do it at your own pace

Edited by tonyh29

Â