Budapest & Vienna

This Could Be Rotterdam

16 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I always recommend the Lancelot for groups , should be busy on a Friday night , maybe not so much on other school nights .... always a good atmosphere in there , large portions of food (though sometimes a little bit heavy on the oil)  and lots of drunk people having fun  .. they throw in some sword fighting and singing all adds to the fun ... if it's 2 of you and you want to try something Hungarian then look out for Fatal restaurant , same sort of food but less noise 

Tone recommended this place to me when i first went and I can honestly say its fantastic. All my mates talk about how great it is. Definitely visiting there when I go next year.

Tone stag wise we are thinking of going end of August or end of June. What is like end of June time? 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Tone recommended this place to me when i first went and I can honestly say its fantastic. All my mates talk about how great it is. Definitely visiting there when I go next year.

Tone stag wise we are thinking of going end of August or end of June. What is like end of June time? 

will still be warm in June  , probably better than August as it can get into the mid 30's during August ..Mrs H and the kids are there at the moment and its 34 degrees , with talk of it hitting 38 degrees

On 8/1/2017 at 10:56, tonyh29 said:

will still be warm in June  , probably better than August as it can get into the mid 30's during August ..Mrs H and the kids are there at the moment and its 34 degrees , with talk of it hitting 38 degrees

My silly cousin got his friends wedding days mixed up and now we may have to do end of June. hope its still busy like it was in September and not too early to go 

• 1 month later...

Just back from the trip, probably the best weve dont to be honest.

Glad we did Vienna first as it wouldve been a let down if we went after Budapest but still worth a visit. We filled two and a half days there quite nicely. I'd recommend a day for the city centre (walking tour was pointless but the natural history museum was a good few hours). Then a day for Schonbrunn palace/zoo and that area of town will leave you feeling like youve seen enough but not bored. Food was great everywhere we went and didnt find it too expensive in all honesty. We stayed in an airbnb about a 20/30 stroll out of the city centre, definately mostly locals but i tend to prefer that anyway. But the owner recommended some restaurants and all were 10/10. Very clean and stunning buildings, a nice rooftop bar for a drink with one eye on the score on Tuesday night topped it off. 

Budapest was amazing from start to finish. Its close run but i think id put it above Prague. We had an airbnb in the jewish quarter, right by the ruin bars. We managed to fit in the walking tour, communism tour and a jewish walking tour which were all worth doing. If i had to choose one it would be the communism tour, very interesting. We went to the hospital in the rock but wouldnt recommend it, the guide ruined it for us. Spent a few hours one day up by heroes square watching an extremely enthusiastic chinese guy filming a girls choir by the monument. An absolute must is the evening cruise on the danube, if you think the river bank is beautiful by day then it'll take your breath away at night. Just stunning! 

Already trying to figure out when we can fit in Prague, Budapest and maybe one other location. Only spotted the pinball museum on the last day which seems a decent way to spend an evening. And theres definately so much more to see. 

Massive thanks to @TrinityRoadSteps for the recommendation to visit BPBarBQ. Best burger ive ever tasted, and fortunately about 2 minutes from where we stayed so managed to visit twice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Just back from the trip, probably the best weve dont to be honest.

Glad we did Vienna first as it wouldve been a let down if we went after Budapest but still worth a visit. We filled two and a half days there quite nicely. I'd recommend a day for the city centre (walking tour was pointless but the natural history museum was a good few hours). Then a day for Schonbrunn palace/zoo and that area of town will leave you feeling like youve seen enough but not bored. Food was great everywhere we went and didnt find it too expensive in all honesty. We stayed in an airbnb about a 20/30 stroll out of the city centre, definately mostly locals but i tend to prefer that anyway. But the owner recommended some restaurants and all were 10/10. Very clean and stunning buildings, a nice rooftop bar for a drink with one eye on the score on Tuesday night topped it off. 

Budapest was amazing from start to finish. Its close run but i think id put it above Prague. We had an airbnb in the jewish quarter, right by the ruin bars. We managed to fit in the walking tour, communism tour and a jewish walking tour which were all worth doing. If i had to choose one it would be the communism tour, very interesting. We went to the hospital in the rock but wouldnt recommend it, the guide ruined it for us. Spent a few hours one day up by heroes square watching an extremely enthusiastic chinese guy filming a girls choir by the monument. An absolute must is the evening cruise on the danube, if you think the river bank is beautiful by day then it'll take your breath away at night. Just stunning! 

Already trying to figure out when we can fit in Prague, Budapest and maybe one other location. Only spotted the pinball museum on the last day which seems a decent way to spend an evening. And theres definately so much more to see. 

Massive thanks to @TrinityRoadSteps for the recommendation to visit BPBarBQ. Best burger ive ever tasted, and fortunately about 2 minutes from where we stayed so managed to visit twice. 

NOM NOM AND THRICE NOM!!

If you want somewhere to link Budapest and Prague you could do a lot worse than Bratislava. Very much in a similar vein as those two albeit smaller in scale. We did it as a day trip from Vienna but would be easy by train from Budapest and Prague 

• 5 months later...
On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 13:40, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

natural history museum

how long did it take you to realise it wasn't a live cat in the basket :) 

On 3/25/2018 at 22:26, Zatman said:

just back from Vienna, was not what I was expecting and a pleasant surprise. was there a few days with lots to do cultural wise

What was weather like? What is there to do? Was looking at going for  a city break in March for few days and we have narrowed it down to vienna and stockholm 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

What was weather like? What is there to do? Was looking at going for  a city break in March for few days and we have narrowed it down to vienna and stockholm 

Weather was nice. Milder than i expected anyway. Was lots to do and bus tour had 4 different lines and we only completed one. Also Bratislava just over hour away on bus if wanted do both

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Weather was nice. Milder than i expected anyway. Was lots to do and bus tour had 4 different lines and we only completed one. Also Bratislava just over hour away on bus if wanted do both

Interesting did not know Bratislava was so close. did you end up going?

Whats the main town centre in vienna? will look into it as when i look there are various different locations 

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Interesting did not know Bratislava was so close. did you end up going?

Whats the main town centre in vienna? will look into it as when i look there are various different locations 

Did couple of days in both but honestly Bratislava could be done in 1.

Its nice town centre but big, not really place to go drinking. People quite friendly as well

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Did couple of days in both but honestly Bratislava could be done in 1.

Its nice town centre but big, not really place to go drinking. People quite friendly as well

Thanks, i just booked  ahotel, had a look at flights very reasonable £79 return per person 

how much much was the bus journey to Bratislava? 

Â