Birmingham Swimming

islingtonclaret

Just now, darrenm said:

The 50m uni pool was dug out and tiled to be 50m until someone pointed out that with the timing boards it wouldn't be quite 50m so would be pointless. They had to dig it out again to allow for the timing boards, tiles and adhesive.

Turns it it's now highly sought after as a training pool because it's just a few mm over 50m.

It was never going to be used as a competition pool evidenced by the fact there's no seating there.

Good points well made. Let's hope it can be a training hub and remain profitable and brilliant for the city.

There seems to be this reference design for new leisure centres cropping over all over the place with a fairly shallow 25m pool, a ~10m training/exercise pool with moveable floor, a changing village and a climbing wall in reception.

The Abbey Stadium in Redditch was like this when built a few years ago. Then the new Kidderminster leisure centre looks the same, then Perdiswell again and finally the new Dolphin in Bromsgrove.

They seem to work well but none of them have enough seating for competition use so swimming clubs are having to travel further all the time to older pools with enough seating.

Birmingham should have had a 50m pool to rival Cardiff's. That's magnificent. 

IMG_20160305_144338.thumb.jpg.e247d4307bf73d3b4918f76d6ec06de1.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/13/2017 at 15:15, dAVe80 said:

When I lived in Brum (20 years ago), I used to go to Erdington baths mostly, and sometimes Wyndley. We'd occasionally go to Kingstanding, which was more geared at kids, as it had a waterslide, and a wave machine. When I was at school, we would go to Neachells baths, which were grim at the time, but when I think about it now, they were around 100 years old.

Yep, yep and yep! Used to go to those regularly 

Erdington and Wyndley with school and Kingstanding with my mates, mainly due to the slide and wave machine. They also occasionally used to have an inflatable slide!

Did you ever used to go to the original Kingstanding baths on Warren Farm Road? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Yep, yep and yep! Used to go to those regularly 

Erdington and Wyndley with school and Kingstanding with my mates, mainly due to the slide and wave machine. They also occasionally used to have an inflatable slide!

Did you ever used to go to the original Kingstanding baths on Warren Farm Road? 

I didn't mate, no. Erdington and Wyndley were the bread and butter, and Kingstanding was more a school holiday treat. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, darrenm said:

There seems to be this reference design for new leisure centres cropping over all over the place

Like I said it's sport England, you'll know if it's a sport England financed project if the sports hall is a horrible shade of light green or blue, I was involved with perdiswell, there's a degree of flexibility on some things but the architect will have a massive set of guidelines from them

thet have to be able to accommodate several different clubs, the pool I did at Stratford had swimming, water polo, canoe, canoe polo...

I saw the concrete go in but didn't get to see the final moveable swimming pool fooor at perdiswell :( 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Like I said it's sport England, you'll know if it's a sport England financed project if the sports hall is a horrible shade of light green or blue, I was involved with perdiswell, there's a degree of flexibility on some things but the architect will have a massive set of guidelines from them

thet have to be able to accommodate several different clubs, the pool I did at Stratford had swimming, water polo, canoe, canoe polo...

I saw the concrete go in but didn't get to see the final moveable swimming pool fooor at perdiswell :( 

I swim at perdiswell at lot during my lunch break as I'm only 5 mins down the road. I really like how they haven't fallen into the trap of monetising everything and the car park is free and the lockers are free. I have to take a bit of a deep breath when getting in though, they don't heat it much!

i spent about 3 months there whilst it was still in the ground through to the block work going up, havent actually seen it finished, im now with the same site team doing 2 for warwick council, i dont know who perdiswell's operator was, the one we have here are a company called everyone active, they're incredibly good at making money, spent far too many hours in meetings deciding where to put a vending machine to maximise its return!

Yayy finally a Swimming topic , I'm stuck at a swimming pool almost every bloody night thanks to my daughter , at the moment she trains at Stetchford , Newtown ( yes there is ACTUALLY a pool there) and Bilston . From next season she's signed up to swim at the Royal Wolverhampton 5 times a week .

Stetchford is getting a new baths , the new 50 metre pool in Brum isn't officially 50 metres it's litterally 2cm short so someone screwed that one up. Is the new Erdington pool open yet ? 

West Brom has a decent pool , Recently did a Gala at the new Worcester pool , very nice . Went to Oak parks new one recently they have no seating for spectators so why the hell hold a bloody swimming meet there I have noooo idea (I'm looking at you Mercian Swimming League :angry:).

Sorry I could litterally talk about swimming all day , Rarely does a sport take over your life like swimming, infact my lad has just started playing under 7's football and that's so nice and easy compared to 10 hours sat in roasting hot swimming baths lol.

3 hours ago, TOTTI-THE-GOD said:

the new 50 metre pool in Brum isn't officially 50 metres it's litterally 2cm short so someone screwed that one up

I was told they had to dig it out further after this was realised and now it's almost absolutely bang on?

• Like 1

On 17/07/2017 at 17:12, darrenm said:

I was told they had to dig it out further after this was realised and now it's almost absolutely bang on?

Dunno but that would take a hell of a lot of work, it'll be reinforced concrete

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Dunno but that would take a hell of a lot of work, it'll be reinforced concrete

It took about a year longer than planned I think so perhaps.

I went to the old kingstanding  swimming baths although I was scared of the glue sniffers hanging around there at night. Also did the new Kingstanding baths and Wyndley. 

My nearest leisure centre pool in Yorkshire is pretty grim although it's having a refurb. We also have an outdoor pool on our doorstep (ilkley lido) which is lovely on a hot day but bloody freezing! 

• 1 year later...

Erdington pool is decent but the width isn't great and peak times can be an absolute nightmare to get a good swim on, though it is actually nice (when it isn't rammed)

Are there any 25m pools within private health clubs that anyone knows of?

On 14/07/2017 at 19:20, dAVe80 said:

I didn't mate, no. Erdington and Wyndley were the bread and butter, and Kingstanding was more a school holiday treat. 

Stetchford Cascades > Kingstanding.

A plug for Burntwood Baths (Leisure Centre) if it helpful to anyone. Good ,clean baths, plenty of free parking and other facilities within the building; realise might be too far out for many people. Aren't B/ham supposed to be building a brand new facility in Sandwell for the Commonwealth Games ? (and although wandering Off Topic - no bl**dy Velodrome)

On 06/04/2019 at 11:54, rodders0223 said:

Erdington pool is decent but the width isn't great and peak times can be an absolute nightmare to get a good swim on, though it is actually nice (when it isn't rammed)

Are there any 25m pools within private health clubs that anyone knows of?

Bannatynes in Sutton Coldfield has one I believe. They definitely have a pool, can't promise it's 25m

Not sure it's worth the membership fee just for that though. It's about £60 a month IIRC.

Â