Prague

Tayls

I'll be there in a couple of weeks time , taking my lad there as part of a little taster of life on the road with Dad (minus the beer as he's only 12)

starting in Berlin then train to Prague and then down to Vienna and into Budapest where we will catch-up with Mrs H had my daughter 

the Communist  bunker tour looks interesting and a little bit different and we are heading off to the tank museum about 25 mins out of town , other than that I guess we will just do the bridge , palace and  funny clock stuff like everyone else 

Edited by tonyh29

12 hours ago, Tayls said:

3 days in Prague coming up! What are the main things i absolutely must do? Any secret little gems that tourists tend to overlook? 

Stay away from main squares/tourist areas if going on the beer or eating. Can save up to half the price

On 12/07/2017 at 23:10, Tayls said:

3 days in Prague coming up! What are the main things i absolutely must do? Any secret little gems that tourists tend to overlook? 

Atlas Bar is all you need! 

Prague is beautiful, and the Old Town Square when it's lit up at night is the most beautiful place I've been.  As Zatman says, the area around there is very expensive for food and drink, but worth doing at least once as it's lovely sitting and eating in some of the cafes.  If you're on a budget, then you walk ten minutes out of the town centre, and the price of drinks drops dramatically from £4 for a beer to closer to a £1, and it'll be less rammed with tourists.  When I first went in the early 90s, it was 10p a pint.  Was there for a week, and spent about a tenner on beer and food, and I have never, ever drunk so much in my life.

To be honest, in three days you'll probably just get round most of the tourist places that Tony mentions, but they're worth doing.  The Charles Bridge has lots of street entertainers, and is especially good at night.  Prague is famous for its puppets, so try and watch a street performer doing a puppet show, as they're very good.  We went with the kids last time, and took a boat ride to the zoo.

In Prague now , got to say it's a very pretty city around the old town area , I didn't remember it being as nice as this from my last visit back in 1999

waaaay to many tourists though 

What touristy bits have you done already Tony? You staying in a hotel or AirBnB? 

Cheers for the the rest of your responses as well chaps, much appreciated. 

Edited by Tayls

8 hours ago, Tayls said:

What touristy bits have you done already Tony? You staying in a hotel or AirBnB? 

Cheers for the the rest of your responses as well chaps, much appreciated. 

Got in by train from Berlin last night , so allmive done is have a walk around the old town

off to Lešany today which is out of town and home to a large tank museum (I'm here with my lad who is into tanks ) 

this afternoon we'll do  the castle and  the boy wants to take a pedlo out on the river around the Charles bridge :) ... tomorrow am is the bunker tour then we leave by train for Vienna 

we are staying right in the old town which is possibly a mistake as you could hear lots of groups of drinking people until gone 2am ,but hey I've been there so it's probably only fair someone keeps me awake for a change :) .. I used booking.com they do offer apartments as well but as we are only 2 just went with a twin room ,

im sure here is a whole heap more to do but I reckon 3 days here would be perfect , 2 if you really push things 

Somehow I missed this thread, but here is the best info I can give you:

First off, go to this youtube channel. Youtube Prague Guide Playlist Basically this guy speaks perfect english and will show you the fun/interesting parts of Prague in short videos. He also explains what to avoid, how to get around, where to change money, etc. Honestly I really recommend watching some of these videos before going to Prague. It will make your experience so much better.

Prague is also very popular in the summer months. Winter it's much more quiet. I'd say the best time to visit is in the fall and spring months. Smaller crowds. 

Prague castle is cool to see, but the wait is ridiculous and not worth it. The castle is free I believe past 5pm. 

Old town square is very expensive for hotels. I'd recommend getting a hotel or airbnb outside of old town. It's a short walk and much cheaper. 

We have a good metro service. It will take you all around Prague. 

Letna gardens is a german style beer garden with an amazing view of prague. The beer costs less than a euro. There is also a restaurant up there which is a little pricey. 

Vysehrad is a cool fort. It's south and pretty easy to get to with the metro. Way less touristy down there. 

Sparta Prague play just north of old town. Easily walkable. We have a lot of familiar faces playing for us such as Rosicky, Kadlec, Lafata, Ben Haim, and Kaya. Tickets are pretty cheap. 

If you want to see more than Prague, you can take a train to Kutna Hora. It's only about an hour train ride I believe. You can see the bone church, and the city itself is fantastic. Very few tourists, and things are very cheap. Train tickets are also very cheap, so you can go there in the morning and come back to prague in the evening. You can also take a tour bus to Karlovy Vary which is a beautiful small town in south czech. Pilsen is right next to prague and that's where we make Pilsner. They will give you fresh beer for very cheap. 

tl;dr watch the youtube videos I linked. He covers everything extensively. You can pick and choose which videos you think will relate to you. It will make your experience in prague so much better. 

• Thanks 1

I remember taking a tram once to a suburb/area called Andel where we found a hockey bar, with the cheapest beer we had in Prague. Friendly staff too. Only drawback was they prioritised ice hockey over the football :P

4 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I remember taking a tram once to a suburb/area called Andel where we found a hockey bar, with the cheapest beer we had in Prague. Friendly staff too. Only drawback was they prioritised ice hockey over the football :P

I was there when France played Italy in some bohemian part of town and we had to watch it on some small portable TV with rabbit ears placed on the counter .. this was 2000 not 1958 , it just seemed football wasn't their thing in the part of town we were :)

well impressed with their trains though , draft beer in a proper glass none of this warm can of Foster shit you get in the uk

Edited by tonyh29

• 1 year later...
On 08/05/2019 at 13:27, mikeyp102 said:

Heading there in Nov. Any more to add to the above anyone?

I haven't read the above but went there in 2017. Things to do below:

• Walk across Charles Bridge
  • Climb Charles Bridge Tower
  • Walking tours from the main square are really good to see all of the city
  • Prague Castle
  • Old Town Square
  • Climb Old Town Hall Tower
  • Visit Prague Beer Museum (basically a bar with 30 beers on tap) - http://www.praguebeermuseum.cz/en/
  • Visit The Pub (good for food and pour your own beers at the table) - https://www.thepub.cz/praha-1/o-nas/?lng=en

I would mostly recommend the Charles Bridge, both towers and the Prague Beer Museum (you can buy a tray of 6-8 small beers)

Great city, will be returning soon.

• Like 1

On 08/05/2019 at 07:27, mikeyp102 said:

Heading there in Nov. Any more to add to the above anyone?

Get a 24 hour pass. It gets you on the metro, buses, trams, boats, etc. You can get anywhere in the city easy. Public transport is cheap too. I believe it's about £3 for a 24 hour pass. 

Get a hotel outside of downtown. Because of how great the transport is, you can easily get a hotel a little out of downtown and take the metro into town. Saves a lot.

Avoid restaurants in downtown. It's over priced. Beer should cost you no more than 60 kc. That is the high end and that is basically £1-2. Most food should be below 200kc unless you go somewhere fancier. Then it will go up to 400kc which still is cheaper. 

Sites:

Vysehrad is the ruined castle. It's beautiful, and has an amazing view of the city. Nice little restaurant there too which is fair and locally owned. Recommend that. 

Letna beer garden is a hike, but another great view of the north side of the city. Plus beer there is so cheap. 

Petrin tower is a good view.

Prague castle is crowded, but fun to walk to and see. Just avoid buying anything there. ALL SCAMS. 

Charles bridge is boring. It's just a bridge with a bunch of people on it. Go ahead and walk across, but don't expect anything. 

Petrin hill is really nice. Your metro pass works on the cable car and will take you to the top. 

Waldstein Palace is a hidden gem that is right next to the castle. It's free, and has a beautiful garden. 

Just look around, and enjoy yourself. Food and beer is cheap here. Trdelnik is a scam, but tasty. That isn't czech food. That is hungarian but they are everywhere. Try some czech ghoulash, smazeny syr, parek (hot dog), and some czech beers. 

I really recommend taking the metro basically everywhere. It's so easy and saves your legs. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

So was in Prague this weekend just gone. Really enjoyable place. 

Touristy parts I did  the expected Charles Bridge, Astronomical Clock and the castle. I wanted to do Petrin tower but when I was free to do that, it was too foggy so didn’t see the point. Also went shooting on the Sunday which was good fun, Ak47s, handguns, shotguns and rifles. 

My friend had found a small bar which was horror themed, we went there a few times as mates Mrs can’t walk far and it was close to their hotel. 

Going back in a few months on a stag do, so that will be far less site seeing/cultural and more debauchery 

Edited by mikeyp102

• 2 months later...

Last time I was there with Mrs T. I was watching Villa vs Albion in the play offs at the Irish bar in the corner of the old square. Fantastic restaurant next to it. around the corner is Spiders bar where they film the Bud Light adverts.  Trams every few mins. Lovely place to be.

My lad was there on a works thing last month, he sent me a picture, he was sat at the same table  that I had sat at  watching a Villa game in the Irish bar. Small world 

Edited by Robtaylor200
  • Like 1

Â