Getting to Villa Park

Czechlad

Looking at the fixtures that weekend I'd say the chances of it being a Sky game are quite high.  Both games between the teams were televised last season.  It's easy to promote with both teams being 2 former European Champions.

The other game that stands out that weekend is Sheffield derby but that would most likely be moved to early kick off.

Bit of a bummer really for overseas fans. 

2 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Stupid Sky. I hate having to wait another month to book my travels. 

Seems sky are committed to giving teams 5 weeks notice this season of fixture changes , so you should know by mid August at latest.

The EFL and Sky will aim to give Boro fans at least five weeks' notice ahead of any fixture alterations for live television coverage in the coming season.

The league and its broadcast partner Sky Sports say they're committed to giving clubs and supporters the advance warning to ensure fans' plans aren't disrupted, particularly for away games.

That hasn't always been the case, with Sky controversially rearranging Boro's game at Charlton two seasons ago with just 17 days' notice.

If, for whatever reason, a fixture is changed within the five-week timeframe, the clubs involved can opt for the game not to be televised.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/notice-period-efl-sky-aim-13215661

Edited by Eastie

Oh good. I told the fiancee that potentially we would have to wait till august to book our flights, and she was not happy at all. She is already upset that I am making a pit stop in Birmingham to watch a match.

Edited by Czechlad

14 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Oh good. I told the fiancee that potentially we would have to wait till august to book our flights, and she was not happy at all. She is already upset that I am making a bit stop in Birmingham to watch a match.

Coming from somebody that lives near by that's pretty understandable ;)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Coming from somebody that lives near by that's pretty understandable ;)

I've been to Birmingham before and it was okay. I will have a full day this time though. Is there anything I should do? I plan on staying by the Bullring 

1 minute ago, Czechlad said:

I've been to Birmingham before and it was okay. I will have a full day this time though. Is there anything I should do? I plan on staying by the Bullring 

You can spend quite a while in Bull Ring. Walk up to Victoria Square and the Cathedral near by. Nice areas. Maybe check out the new Library. That's pretty impressive. Hopefully weather is nice you can visit the canal by broad street / Brindley place. Have a drink there and relax. 

• Like 1

Are you taking just hand luggage (there can be delays waiting for baggage to hit the carousel at BHX which could impact on a tight schedule to get to the game as might delays at passport control)?  

9 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Oh good. I told the fiancee that potentially we would have to wait till august to book our flights, and she was not happy at all. She is already upset that I am making a pit stop in Birmingham to watch a match.

That's an early warning sign mate. Moaning about the football. Pack her in and move on before it's too late. Otherwise it's a lifetime of tutting and sighing every time the football is on.

Save yourself!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, villan_007 said:

That's an early warning sign mate. Moaning about the football. Pack her in and move on before it's too late. Otherwise it's a lifetime of tutting and sighing every time the football is on.

Save yourself!

... and a lifetime of the question "what's this?!"  Every time she walks in the room and you're watching footy and not the great British knit off or Easternation street! I concur with @villan_007, kick it into touch! ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villan_007 said:

Save yourself!

I've been with my Mrs 7 years and married 3. She still hates football... it's a war I will win!!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You can spend quite a while in Bull Ring. Walk up to Victoria Square and the Cathedral near by. Nice areas. Maybe check out the new Library. That's pretty impressive. Hopefully weather is nice you can visit the canal by broad street / Brindley place. Have a drink there and relax. 

Cathedral and Library.  PARTY ON!

• Like 3

I visited Prague about 10 years ago, probably more. I went with some like minded intellectuals and we completely immersed ourselves into the culture of that great and historic city. It took me weeks to recover :unsure:

Is it your first trip to Villa Park?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, John said:

Are you taking just hand luggage (there can be delays waiting for baggage to hit the carousel at BHX which could impact on a tight schedule to get to the game as might delays at passport control)?  

Just a carry on, so we should be fine in that aspect. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I visited Prague about 10 years ago, probably more. I went with some like minded intellectuals and we completely immersed ourselves into the culture of that great and historic city. It took me weeks to recover :unsure:

Is it your first trip to Villa Park?

I went last year to the Nottingham match. It was a good first match even though it ended 2-2. I got to see Gestede's late acrobatic equaliser and Lansbury score a great goal on us. 

Prague is also a great city. I love it here. It's off topic, but for people considering visiting Prague, I really recommend checking out this youtube channel:

They go in depth and show you the awesome parts of the city and what parts are just tourist traps in short videos.

Edited by limpid
fixed embed
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, villan_007 said:

Save yourself!

She doesn't hate football! She is scottish and her father is a big Celtic fan. We starting dating in the summer of 2015 and her first introduction to villa was that terrible premier league season we had.

She is just angry that we have a limited time on our holiday and I am making us use at least 1 day on the Villa match. She wants to go to the match, but she isn't happy that sky sports can just change the kickoff at whim and ruin our plans. 

• Like 1

Â