PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

villarule123

Well this game released as a complete mess. However, credit to MS they have been rolling out the updates and the latest one has turned it from barely playable to very playable. Feels very good in it's current state. FPP mode is much better than TPP mode and i'm having a blast with it.

This game is just so damn addictive, not sure what it is, but the Battle Royal genre isn't going away any time soon. When this game releases fully, it's going to be insane.

• 2 weeks later...

Just downloaded and installed this on XB1, it’s a really nice idea but I’m just not getting it at all. I just seem to be permanently running in the wilderness.

I did manage to kill someone on my first go by running them over :lol:.

Cant find another vehicle now so just running on my lonesome.

• 2 months later...
On 01/04/2018 at 16:18, holteend1982 said:

Best game I've played in a long time, so addictive. Anyone else play? Even more fun on squads. 

Yeah I play solo and duos a lot. Completely hooked on it. You play on PC or Xbox? 

Edited by PieFacE

28 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah I play solo and duos a lot. Completely hooked on it. You play on PC or Xbox? 

I'm playing on xbox, think I've played over 800 games and won about 10 times. I've never been so bad at a game and enjoyed it so much! 

PUBG's issue is its selling point isn't unique to the game itself. What makes PUBG addictive is the same thing that makes Fortnite, Island of Nyne and H1Z1 addictive, it is that tension of danger round every corner with the climax of winning or coming close that has you loading up another round. If you remove that from PUBG what other selling point does it have? What makes PUBG stand out? I can't think of one, I can think of dozens for Fortnite which is why it's the biggest game in history, but I can't think of anything PUBG does that is uniquely a PUBG thing. It would not surprise me if Ring of Elysium (AKA. Europa) launches worldwide at some point this year and makes a play for PUBG's crown, as I don't think PUBG has enough to fend off a game that has fewer bugs and vastly better netcode. 

As for the theory in the video that Ring of Elysium is connected to Bluehole as a way to fix PUBG without fixing PUBG? I'm not sure I think it's perhaps a bit of a stretch, but considering Bluehole are words removed and are currently suing companies for "copying" PUBG, the fact that Ring of Elysium has had such a free pass is interesting. I personally just want Ring of Elysium to drop over here so I can finally play it as even with high ping that hit detection looked super smooth, I just want more competition in the genre ultimately as I don't think the industry has seen the genre's final form yet. 

Edited by Daweii

I can totally see Battlefield doing a Battle Royal game. And Dice would do a bloody good job of it in my opinion.

I'll probably be alone in this opinion but I'd love to see a Halo themed Battle Royal game, I think the mechanics in Halo would work really well with it. 

11 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I hope Dice don't get involved in battle royale thanks very much!

I think they need too really. They're the best company to make one. With their ability to make huge maps, servers running a lot of players, frostbite engine, nailed the third person element of gameplay from Star Wars franchise, they are definitely the best team to make one. EA will know this too.

Could Bad Company 3 possibly be a BR game? 

Surprised you don't want to see a DICE BR game, BR games are the shit. So addictive, and rewarding, and frustrating haha. Definitely going to be the next "trend".

• Like 1

I imagine there will be a number of Battle Royal reveals at this years E3. Bad Company being one, or at least having it as a mode, would make a lot of sense. BFBC2 is the only FPS I've ever really been into. What a great game that was. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I think they need too really. They're the best company to make one. With their ability to make huge maps, servers running a lot of players, frostbite engine, nailed the third person element of gameplay from Star Wars franchise, they are definitely the best team to make one. EA will know this too.

Could Bad Company 3 possibly be a BR game? 

Surprised you don't want to see a DICE BR game, BR games are the shit. So addictive, and rewarding, and frustrating haha. Definitely going to be the next "trend".

I do get those arguments, I really do. 

But it just isn't what DICE do.  And any BF player will tell you, they aren't perfect.  They struggle to balance games general, constantly making weapon balances for the life of the games.  The maps aren't as big as they'd need to be either, and whilst their maps are really well designed, they are all process heavy - they'd have to cut a lot of detail out over the vast ranges needed for a BR game.

I think what people are asking for, is the great design, gun play (although, the Auto aim and Rotation in BF games would be really poo in BR games (especially over long ranges)).

I just don't think they are the studio to do it. 

I'd love to be proved wrong though, because BR games are fun! (only played fornite, not PubG)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogso said:

I imagine there will be a number of Battle Royal reveals at this years E3. Bad Company being one, or at least having it as a mode, would make a lot of sense. BFBC2 is the only FPS I've ever really been into. What a great game that was. 

The sounds were savage. I'd buy a full priced AAA+ game of just the frickin' wav files of the gun noises. :lol:  

DICE seem reluctant to release a Bad Company game, becuase it's so hard to pinpoint what made Bad Company 2 so special. Maybe a transition of the Bad Company series into a BR game would be a good move, giving the Bad Company series an identity.

Personally the main reason I'd love DICE to have a go at it is 'cos Blue Hole are pretty shoddy devs. PUBG on my Xbox One X runs terribly, it's barely any better than the OG Xbox in terms of how the frame rate performs (it is much better visually on the X, but give me a stable frame rate over visuals). The game is so incredibly fun and I'm constantly playing it, but damn a better dev team could do a much better job. 

Mavericks looks like it could be an interesting game, can't help but feel it's going to be a bit of a disappointment, seems they're trying to do a hell of a lot... but 400 player Battle Royale? Count me in! 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

I'd rather see battle royale games fizzle out I think. PUBG and Fortnite have cornered the market and everything else seems to be obscenely derivative (I'm watching some of Radical Heights now and **** me, it's available aggressively ugly take on Fortnite without the gimmicks that make that stand out). Hopefully it'll devolve into being just another multiplayer mode in better games.

Radical Heights isn't as bad to play as it looks on face value.

The game has some unique takes on the genre with the money system that allows you to save up cash between round to give yourself a leg up in a future round. The closing circle is a grid based system so that changes things up a bit and it works pretty well. Yes lots of these things are merely "tweaks" on the formula, but if it works well and gives the game its own identity then that's all that counts in the end. Is this game going to destroy Fortnite? No, but I think there is plenty of room in the BR genre as BR fans just want more and more BR games to play.

Now yes the game is unpolished and it is clear that Boss Key's claims that they developed Radical Heights in 5 months are likely true, but the foundation they have with its super fluid and accurate gun play makes it very satisfying to get into fights. I can understand that many people will look at Radical Heights and disregard it instantly, but I would suggest that anyone with a semi-decent PC check Radical Heights out as it's fun for what it is. 

Have to say I've tried Fortnite and I couldn't get on with it, there's obviously something incredibly fun there as it's so popular, but I'm not a fan of the building mechanic and the cartoony look.

The realism of PUBG is what makes it so thrilling to play, imo. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I heard a while back that they were going to spend time optimising the Erangel map, but that was months and months ago when Miramar dropped on PC initially and very little has changed.

As for rebuilding with new assets I don't see Bluehole ever doing that given that 90% of the game is using pre-built assets from the UE4 Marketplace, I don't know if Bluehole actually know how to create their own assets.

One day the original map will match the latest one for performance and optimisation, I mean for me they both run fine, but I know those on Xbox and those with weaker PC's struggle with Erangel. 

• Like 1

Â