PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

villarule123

So, I've had this a couple of weeks, played 7 hours and killed about 12 people. I can comfortably say this will be a huge hit when it hits consoles. There's already 4 million players on Steam. 

It's the most intense game I've ever played. With a headset on, it reaches new heights and the sound effects are amazing. The game is very bare bones, buggy and isn't well optimised yet but the potential is huge as it's still 9nly in early access. 

Is anyone playing on the PC at the moment? Would be nice to play with someone other than random foreigners. 

The evolution of games like this, from ARMA, to DayZ, to H1Z1, to The Culling and ultimately now to Battlegrounds makes me wonder what sort of shelf life this game will actually have. Some people who have played lots of these types of games extensively may be able to tell me that Battlegrounds is the best of the bunch for X reasons, but I can't help but think the next big multiplayer shooter is just around the corner, and then the majority of players from this will jump on to that.

2 hours ago, hogso said:

The evolution of games like this, from ARMA, to DayZ, to H1Z1, to The Culling and ultimately now to Battlegrounds makes me wonder what sort of shelf life this game will actually have. Some people who have played lots of these types of games extensively may be able to tell me that Battlegrounds is the best of the bunch for X reasons, but I can't help but think the next big multiplayer shooter is just around the corner, and then the majority of players from this will jump on to that.

For me the attraction is that it's not like the other multiplayer shooters. 

I actually hate FPS multiplayer games. They're basically rubbish. You just run around constantly getting shot, respawning, getting shot again. 

This one is the other end of the scale. Like Jonno said you can play for hours and hardly shoot anyone. I've seen people win entire games without firing a bullet. 

I don't know if there are other games like that out there, but I think this could outlive "the next big multiplayer shooter" because it's different. 

12 hours ago, hogso said:

All of the games I listed are like it, to an extent. 

Player Unknown AKA. Brendan Greene has had a big part to play in a number of those games. 

Brendan Greene created the initial ARMA 2 Battle Royale mod, he was a creative director on H1Z1 and is now the project lead on Battlegrounds.

It's because of that work on ARMA 2 BR and H1Z1 that Battlegrounds is as good as it is. He knows how realistic it can get, but he also knows how unrealistic it can get which is why Battlegrounds is a perfect blend of the two. Battlegrounds is in that Goldilocks zone where everything is just right. The gunplay has enough simulation to appease the hardcore crowd, but is pick up and play enough that everyone can play it and have fun. The movement is realistic enough for tactics and strategy to actually count, but unrealistic enough that it's very unforgiving. This is also true of the vehicles which handle in a fun and arcade-like manner, but don't go too crazy cause you will flip it or spin out. This game treads a fine line between two different styles of game that make it perfect for every type of player.

With everything I have said above in mind there could be a successor to the throne someday, but it'll have to be something truly special I think.

16 hours ago, hogso said:

All of the games I listed are like it, to an extent. 

Fair enough, I've never heard of any of them. 

By the "next big multiplayer shooter" I thought you meant stuff like COD or Battlefront or Overwatch etc. 

That's the kind of game I was saying PUBG is so different from. 

On 2017-7-1 at 12:57, Daweii said:

Battlegrounds is in that Goldilocks zone where everything is just right.

Yeah, I think that's probably true actually. Maybe this one will stick around for a while longer as a result. 

• 5 months later...

Well it's still in game preview for some time yet,  so even through it is playable is isn't technically "out" & there are no ingame achievements etc yet. 60 is the aim but i guess they need to actually get it running with people playing to see what works & what doesn't before whacking up the fps and obviously people running around at 60 on the X would have an advantage of anyone playing on the S or the old fat black box

Some of the controls are a little fiddly, cycling through 5 weapons with one button can be a pain and there are some graphical/texture issues that need a bit of work.

My usual style of running about like rambo full of coke & redbull really isn't a good strategy for this game and i think i have actually killed myself more times by jumping out of vehicles than i have killed other people so far.

Edited by LakotaDakota

So after playing this game for a while I think it's good, but the gameplay is pretty clunky, and the 30fps doesn't really help.

What I'd love is for DICE to make a Battle Royale game. With their squad mechanics from BF, map design, gunplay, vehicles and 60FPS it would make for a bloody incredible game. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

So after playing this game for a while I think it's good, but the gameplay is pretty clunky, and the 30fps doesn't really help.

What I'd love is for DICE to make a Battle Royale game. With their squad mechanics from BF, map design, gunplay, vehicles and 60FPS it would make for a bloody incredible game. 

There's a Youtuber called Jackfrags (from stafford) who is trying to get this moving.

I don't think it would be a great idea though to be honest.  I think the Battle Royale genre won't last that much.  But for consoles, they would probably provide a better experience with their gun mechanics etc. 

Not too sure on the whole. 

• Like 1

Had a little play around with this game on my mates Xbox and I'm not sure what to think.

The frame rate was the most apparent thing off the bat as I play PUBG on PC at 120+ FPS on a 144Hz display so playing at 30FPS was rough. That said I think the hardest thing to get used to was the controller which in my opinion doesn't work well with this game. Now let me state that in close quarters its fine I was winning 90% of my fights, but at distance the analogue sticks are just not precise enough when the enemy is the size of an ant across a field. I found myself engaging targets at distances that with a mouse would be no problem, but with an Xbox controller was just a waste of bullets. I am sure given another 10 hours with the game I would learn the ideal engagement ranges for a controller, but I just can't see myself putting that time in when I have the PC version already.

I think PUBG on console is neat and I am glad that those without a high-end PC can play it, but I'm not convinced that PUBG is a great fit on console.

Â