Luke Organ

JAMAICAN-VILLAN

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
29 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Why?

I'll admit mostly based on the performance of the kit so far, (They say sales are up 750 percent?) which was obviously a strategy devised by him in securing Luke as a partner which at the time seemed underwhelming. (Now seems a masterstroke)

I couple this, again, with the interview, and the fact that it seems he remained trusted during the period of turmoil.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

uhhh apparently he's been let go

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2018/12/21/luke-organ-departs-aston-villa-in-major-shake-up-of-clubs-commercial-department/

Luke Organ departs Aston Villa in major shake-up of club's commercial department

By Matt Maher | Aston Villa | Published: Less than an hour ago

Chief commercial officer Luke Organ has been axed by Villa as part of a major shake-up aimed at boosting the club’s revenue streams.

Organ, who ran Villa on a day-to-day basis at the height of last summer’s financial crisis, departs following an extensive review of the club’s off-field structure by chief executive Christian Purslow. 

A successor is expected to be announced in the New Year and will tasked with securing improved commercial deals, in part to help ease the club’s concerns over Financial Fair Play. 

Purslow was Chelsea’s commercial director for three years before joining Villa.

The 55-year-old is credited with striking numerous lucrative contracts for the London club, including a £60million-a-year kit sponsorship with Nike. 

Villa saw their own revenues plummet following relegation from the Premier League in 2016 and their failure to secure a swift return has only further increased the burden. 

Organ joined Villa from Wasps in December 2016 and was instrumental in engineering the club’s current shirt deal with the Luke fashion brand. 

He became a prominent figure in the summer, effectively taking over the running of the club for several weeks following the departure of former chief executive Keith Wyness. 

Organ also played a key role in the swift takeover by new majority owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens, which prevented Villa falling into administration. 

Purslow was appointed the club’s new chief executive in late August.

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Looks like the death knell for the luke 1977 kit design which is a tradegy !

Putting to one side the question on whether Luke1977 did design the kit or whether they just paid to have their badge on it and be associated with the club, I think the deal for our shirts and merchandising is a little unusual, to me it "feels" wrong, although as I said on another thread, I'd caveat that by saying my feeling is guesswork and I'm not sure exactly how these things work.

It's interesting, I was in the club shop today and I remembered the days when a season ticket got you a discount or the idea that we might link Pride points for discounts - and I was reminded that the thing with the shop is that it's much more loosely associated with the club than it used to be. It's not part of Villa in the same way it once was - you can't have a discount for being a season ticket holder because the retail operation and the club are different companies.

Fanatics own the stock, they designed it, they manufacture it, I think they employ the staff, it's their shop - there was a fortune going through those tills this lunchtime and I'm sure we get a much smaller chunk of it than we used to. The deal in many ways is a good one - it's a nice kit and we've sold loads of them - those are good things - there's a reasonable range of stuff in there, something for just about anyone - that's a good thing - it's an unusual deal, pioneering I guess - from my very loose understanding, Fanatics "bought" our merchandising from us for a period of time and they now collect the profit from those extra shirt sales as opposed to the club doing so. They do merchandising and retail better than the in-house team used to, but they do it for Fanatics, not for Aston Villa.

At the time we made that deal, I'm guessing we weren't exactly overflowing with offers and I'm pretty sure that we needed every penny we could find, but I'm not sure a well designed kit is enough of a compensation for the loss of connection between the club and its stuff. 

As said before, I like Luke Organ, I think he's innovative and I think he's a bright fella, I think he did really well in the summer to hold things together while everyone else fell apart - but I think Mr Purslow sees the clubs future differently, I think he has aspirations for a club that don't need to find creative, innovative ways to make small money, I think Luke Organ is to an extent a victim of his success in finding ways for small clubs to make money.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Yes I've just read it, just another broken cog removed I hope and that Purslow has ambition at villa, so far he seems to be doing well, now to replace with someone who hopefully brings there  A, B and C game.

I think Purslow has a clear sight of what he wants, I like how he conducts himself that's for sure, very professional in front of cameras. I hope when Luke's replacement comes in we can see our club truly start generating some funds of its own without as much need for financial backing from our owners, really that is what any club wants to be able totally self sufficient. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Putting to one side the question on whether Luke1977 did design the kit or whether they just paid to have their badge on it and be associated with the club, I think the deal for our shirts and merchandising is a little unusual, to me it "feels" wrong, although as I said on another thread, I'd caveat that by saying my feeling is guesswork and I'm not sure exactly how these things work.

It's interesting, I was in the club shop today and I remembered the days when a season ticket got you a discount or the idea that we might link Pride points for discounts - and I was reminded that the thing with the shop is that it's much more loosely associated with the club than it used to be. It's not part of Villa in the same way it once was - you can't have a discount for being a season ticket holder because the retail operation and the club are different companies.

Fanatics own the stock, they designed it, they manufacture it, I think they employ the staff, it's their shop - there was a fortune going through those tills this lunchtime and I'm sure we get a much smaller chunk of it than we used to. The deal in many ways is a good one - it's a nice kit and we've sold loads of them - those are good things - there's a reasonable range of stuff in there, something for just about anyone - that's a good thing - it's an unusual deal, pioneering I guess - from my very loose understanding, Fanatics "bought" our merchandising from us for a period of time and they now collect the profit from those extra shirt sales as opposed to the club doing so. They do merchandising and retail better than the in-house team used to, but they do it for Fanatics, not for Aston Villa.

At the time we made that deal, I'm guessing we weren't exactly overflowing with offers and I'm pretty sure that we needed every penny we could find, but I'm not sure a well designed kit is enough of a compensation for the loss of connection between the club and its stuff. 

As said before, I like Luke Organ, I think he's innovative and I think he's a bright fella, I think he did really well in the summer to hold things together while everyone else fell apart - but I think Mr Purslow sees the clubs future differently, I think he has aspirations for a club that don't need to find creative, innovative ways to make small money, I think Luke Organ is to an extent a victim of his success in finding ways for small clubs to make money.

Unlike Wyness, I don't think Luke organ will have much trouble with offers from other clubs, his success at villa will no doubt attract many seeking his skills.

It's not as if Luke is parting with Villa on bad terms, he will be attractive to many and will most likely land at a club who is in dire need of making a small fortune,there are championship clubs still in need of that kind of man.

Sometimes though this cloak and dagger kind of thinking where us fans don't know exactly what's going on 100%,, makes me even more curious as to what's happening or going to happen. I want to see inside of there minds, why can't we be professor Xavier and read our club owners/staff minds ..

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

This has been inevitable since the summer.

The “plan” of Wyness was to out source almost all out commercial activity, which made things nice and simple for him but isn’t good from a financial perspective. 

It had to change and it would appear those changes are starting.

• Like 2

Â