Random Airline News

Villaphan04

On 28/06/2020 at 14:24, mikeyp102 said:

I had flights in March with Norwegian Air, took about 4 weeks to get money back. 
Jet2 Gave refund in about 2 weeks

I have heard good things about Jet2 - I hope so, as I found out last night that a trip to Malta has been cancelled.  Apparently they're now not flying out from Birmingham there until next April :bang:

Oh well - a trip to Iceland around Christmas time it is then!

At least we all have that automatic EU flight compensation for cancelled flights to fall back on... Oh wait... 

In good news for me though jet2 are flying direct to cologne from brum starting Dec, flybe have left a massive hole 

It's hard to have sympathy for airlines when they treat people like this with vouchers and the repayment timescales involved during a pandemic.

It's just a dirty cartel kept alive by price fixing and treating customers like pigs in a lorry. 

How valued you are to them as customers is pretty clear now though I suppose.

Three months later and I’m still waiting for my £500 back from Virgin Airlines. It turns out the outbound flight was cancelled and, even though I booked it through Opodo, I’ve discovered the contract is still with Virgin Airlines.

Good article here that might be of use to others:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/jun/24/get-this-message-over-to-airlines-stop-passing-the-buck-over-refunds

It claims customers’ contracts are with the agent, not the airline. This is untrue. Opodo’s terms and conditions, like other booking platforms, make clear that the customer’s contract is with the travel provider. “While the contract is between the customer and travel supplier

I’m also now being led a merry dance by Ryanair for cancelled flights to Barcelona. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

So, back at the end of June, having had our Virgin Atlantic flights cancelled I requested a refund via their online service (as there was no chance of speaking to an employee on the phone) and I heard nothing back.

last week, I again tried to contact VA but again no employees available to discuss on the phone so did the SMS service.

finally got confirmation of our refund being processed but will take an additional 80 days to finalise...

I’m relieved we’re getting the money back but have already wasted 6 weeks trying their online service first :( 

• Sad 1

On 18/08/2020 at 10:21, theboyangel said:

So, back at the end of June, having had our Virgin Atlantic flights cancelled I requested a refund via their online service (as there was no chance of speaking to an employee on the phone) and I heard nothing back.

last week, I again tried to contact VA but again no employees available to discuss on the phone so did the SMS service.

finally got confirmation of our refund being processed but will take an additional 80 days to finalise...

I’m relieved we’re getting the money back but have already wasted 6 weeks trying their online service first :( 

My flights been cancelled and I wasn’t even notified by them. What a shambles

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

My flights been cancelled and I wasn’t even notified by them. What a shambles

Dem, call this number and get the SMS service started 

Virgin 03448747747

I had a positive result within 48hrs (result being confirmation my refund will be processed)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 17/07/2020 at 08:30, knoppy1987 said:

A sad day for us Aviation enthusiasts with BA's 744s going. I'll miss the fan whirring of those RB211-524s. 

The big old jumbos are yesterdays news unfortunately. Glad I managed to get a few flights on 747's and A380's before they disappear! 

Korean and Asiana are merging... well, Korean are taking Asiana over. Both of them 5 star airlines. Shame as I'd always wanted to try Asiana 

Talk of ANA and Japan doing the same. 

I imagine we will see a lot of consolidation in the airline market. Less competition, less routes and higher prices maybe. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

The big old jumbos are yesterdays news unfortunately. Glad I managed to get a few flights on 747's and A380's before they disappear! 

The 747-400F and 747-400CF Converted Freighters are holding strong, but, they have very little presence here sadly. Same with the 747-8F. I'd love the chance to get on a Lufthansa 747-8i but at the moment I am dreaming.

At least the 747-400s had longevity in service. The A380 fleet has an average age under 8 years, and over 90% of the fleet is in storage. I just hope the remaining operators do not follow Air France. Some have opted for long-term storage. I remain hopeful given the likes of Emirates and Qantas have recently done some cabin refits in Premium Economy. I've never flew on one either and even though I do not think it is the prettiest aircraft (we used to call it a block of flats - it lacks the elegance of a 744 IMO), it will have to be struck off the list at some point. Plenty of 744s mind. 

The one that got away was the MD-11 for me. My Dad even managed to get on one from Helsinki to Tokyo Narita (Finnair) without even knowing. I was envious when I saw a picture! 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/01/2021 at 15:32, knoppy1987 said:

The 747-400F and 747-400CF Converted Freighters are holding strong, but, they have very little presence here sadly. Same with the 747-8F. I'd love the chance to get on a Lufthansa 747-8i but at the moment I am dreaming.

At least the 747-400s had longevity in service. The A380 fleet has an average age under 8 years, and over 90% of the fleet is in storage. I just hope the remaining operators do not follow Air France. Some have opted for long-term storage. I remain hopeful given the likes of Emirates and Qantas have recently done some cabin refits in Premium Economy. I've never flew on one either and even though I do not think it is the prettiest aircraft (we used to call it a block of flats - it lacks the elegance of a 744 IMO), it will have to be struck off the list at some point. Plenty of 744s mind. 

The one that got away was the MD-11 for me. My Dad even managed to get on one from Helsinki to Tokyo Narita (Finnair) without even knowing. I was envious when I saw a picture! 

I am glad that I rode LH's 748 business class on the upper deck before the pandemic, even though the product is nothing to write home about (and LH stranding me in BLR before rebooking me in middles in coach on Emirates back to North America basically means LH and Emirates are on my "never again" list).

Will likely not get to fly on an A380, given that the remaining operators aren't ones I'm likely to ever fly.

• 3 months later...

Not looking good for SAS and their pilots are on strike. Swedish gov refused to bail them out. Dunno what the Danes will do.

I've started to use my points on random goods from their store and booked hotels to make sure I get something if they go tits up.

Â