Random Airline News

Villaphan04

47 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Anyone know anything about the Norwegian Air financial troubles? All articles are behind paywalls. I’m due to fly with them in a couple of weeks 

Low on cash and may struggle to hit repayments in Q2.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-norwegian-air/norwegian-air-dives-again-on-liquidity-worries-as-coronavirus-spreads-idUSKBN20T1H5

OSLO (Reuters) - Norwegian Air’s (NWC.OL) shares lost a quarter of their value on Friday on concerns about its ability to weather a dramatic drop in global travel as the coronavirus spreads

• Thanks 1

@mikeyp102

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51847882

Norwegian Air is set to cancel 4,000 flights and temporarily lay off about half of its staff because of the coronavirus outbreak.

The budget airline said the changes would apply until the end of May and numbers may increase.

Its boss said new restrictions on travel between the US and mainland Europe put "extra pressure on an already difficult situation".

• 1 month later...

Well all the airlines are doung their upmost to ensure they dont give refunds to people. The missus flight got cancelled way back in march due to covid 19 yet they are fobbing her off

Virgin Airlines are have cut 3,000 jobs and ceased operations at Gatwick.

My trip to Florida with the kids in August was looking slim at best but now looks doomed :( 

will have to make contact with them to confirm if flights are cancelled. I’d rather get a refund instead of accepting another flight in ‘the future’..  

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Virgin Airlines are have cut 3,000 jobs and ceased operations at Gatwick.

My trip to Florida with the kids in August was looking slim at best but now looks doomed :( 

will have to make contact with them to confirm if flights are cancelled. I’d rather get a refund instead of accepting another flight in ‘the future’..  

Ive got a tril to vegas in September with virgin and i dont think even thats ginna go ahead.  I think 2020 is going to be a write off for holidays unfortunately 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, I've got a trip to Malta planned in August.  Highly unlikely to go ahead, but even if it was allowed, I'm not sure I would want to be sat on a plane and being forced to socially distance from my friends etc.  Then of course there is the 2 week quarantine upon returning if still in place...

Re: Virgin Airlines.

I was due to fly with them to Vegas back in April. The kept the flight running (so THEY didn’t cancel it) therefore my automatic right to a refund didn’t apply. This is despite a) citizens of the UK were banned from entering the US  b) The FCO had advised against all but essential travel. 
I’ve got to go down the insurance claim route or accept a voucher. Given that Virgin Atlantic look in big trouble, I’d rather not take the voucher because I don’t trust the airline will exist by next year. 

tl;dr - If you’re booked with Virgin and they keep the flight running (which could happen), without decent insurance, you’re probably ****. Good luck anyway chaps, I hope it works out. 

Dem - I think Vegas (or parts of) will be reopened by September but I don’t know how much fun it will be because things won’t be entirely normal unfortunately. 

• Thanks 2

I had booked - at the start of march - to go to manhattan, via dublin on aer lingus this september. Booked it on expedia but they said they dont do refunds for various airlines, with aer lingus being one of them. I need to go directly to their site. Fine, did so & it said those who fly before 30/9 (me) can move dates without admin charges, up to 330 days in advance. Those due to fly before 30 june however can apply for a voucher or refund i think, but definitely a voucher which i prefer.

I won't know my leave allocation for next year til jan 1 2021, more importantly i dont know who would already be off at work if i said ok  rebook my flghts for say, march 21st 2021. Aer lingus say at present my flight on 24/9 is due to go ahead.....but if it does, manhattan will be odd & not what i remember so i wont want to go.

I guess I will have to wait nearer the date & see if they cancel my flight & i get a voucher +20%. I just want it all boxed off now though.

My hotel is cancelled ok without charge as will my theatre tickets in a few weeks.

Meh.

On 17/05/2020 at 04:59, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I was due to fly with them to Vegas back in April. The kept the flight running (so THEY didn’t cancel it) therefore my automatic right to a refund didn’t apply. This is despite a) citizens of the UK were banned from entering the US  b) The FCO had advised against all but essential travel. 
I’ve got to go down the insurance claim route or accept a voucher. Given that Virgin Atlantic look in big trouble, I’d rather not take the voucher because I don’t trust the airline will exist by next year. 

tl;dr - If you’re booked with Virgin and they keep the flight running (which could happen), without decent insurance, you’re probably ****. Good luck anyway chaps, I hope it works out. 

Dem - I think Vegas (or parts of) will be reopened by September but I don’t know how much fun it will be because things won’t be entirely normal unfortunately. 

My mate who lives in LV reckons they're opening this memorial day weekend coming.

• 5 weeks later...
On 17/05/2020 at 09:59, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Mate i dont want to go. Im hopjng they cancel it so i can obtain a refund.

I have travel insurance wondrring if i can claim off them 

Opodo absolutely sucks. I had a flight cancelled for my cousins wedding im crete. I opted for a voucher due to it being impossible to get a refund.

They tell me voucher will only take a week to process.  8 weeks later nothing. They have cut off the phones no way to email and we are told to wait for them to contact us.  They literally  are the worst.

I think most people are in aame boat as me. The airlines have handled this pandemic appallingly

Just had confirmation of my virgin flights to Orlando being cancelled (as expected) and they’ve offered me a ‘travel voucher’.

will be putting a call in to request a refund! 

edit- have now requested a refund from Virgin Atlantic for the four return flights via their COVID-19 returns policy message service.

wonder how long it’ll take to get back to me? 

Edited by theboyangel

On 24/06/2020 at 20:52, theboyangel said:

Just had confirmation of my virgin flights to Orlando being cancelled (as expected) and they’ve offered me a ‘travel voucher’.

will be putting a call in to request a refund! 

edit- have now requested a refund from Virgin Atlantic for the four return flights via their COVID-19 returns policy message service.

wonder how long it’ll take to get back to me? 

Let me know how that goes as i am hoping my  virgin flight for vegas gets cancelled.

But i think virgin is going to go bust within 12 months so the voucher will be useless

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Let me know how that goes as i am hoping my  virgin flight for vegas gets cancelled.

But i think virgin is going to go bust within 12 months so the voucher will be useless

Will do Dem - Not heard anything yet but expect it’ll take a few weeks at least...

Â