Random Airline News

Villaphan04

54 minutes ago, BennettVilla said:

High street travel agents seem to be a dying breed. 

I was up in Kensington yesterday , Trailblazers alone seem to have about 8 shops in the High Street along with various flight centres and travel agents .. I'm staggered that people would still walk into a high street shop to book a flight / holiday  in this day and age

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

bummer , hope you at least get your money back

Claim opened with TSB travel insurance. They will refund the money, they have advised to try and get the money back through the card issuer. If the card issuer says they will not provide a refund or only do a partial refund then TSB will pay as long as I have written proof from Mastercard saying they won't do a refund.

I always book via a credit card and I have travel insurance through my bank that covers airline failure and my partner is also covered on it.

I will get a refund one way or the other. The holiday was a 40th birthday present from my partner so it's just a bit shit especially as they collapsed 4 hours before we were due to fly ☹️

Looking on sky scanner for a last minute city break. Looking at Budapest for 4 days or Milan.

Any advice on those two? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, BennettVilla said:

I think a big hindrance for Thomas cook is that a large percentage of their bookings were made through their own shops. High street travel agents seem to be a dying breed. 

Also increased competition and not developing anything unique in their brand. 

That along with many other things I’m sure!

I think most of their trade was Egypt and Turkey. They have taken a walloping since ISIS 

1 hour ago, KHV said:

Claim opened with TSB travel insurance. They will refund the money, they have advised to try and get the money back through the card issuer. If the card issuer says they will not provide a refund or only do a partial refund then TSB will pay as long as I have written proof from Mastercard saying they won't do a refund.

I always book via a credit card and I have travel insurance through my bank that covers airline failure and my partner is also covered on it.

I will get a refund one way or the other. The holiday was a 40th birthday present from my partner so it's just a bit shit especially as they collapsed 4 hours before we were due to fly ☹️

Looking on sky scanner for a last minute city break. Looking at Budapest for 4 days or Milan.

Any advice on those two? 

Budapest > Milan as a tourist city definitely.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

What is it that causes airlines to lose so much money?  Tickets aren't exactly cheap and there's a constant stream of flyers?

Airlines have always, on average, lost money. Most either go bust, get taken over or bailed out by the state. 

On 23/09/2019 at 12:19, tonyh29 said:

I was up in Kensington yesterday , Trailblazers alone seem to have about 8 shops in the High Street along with various flight centres and travel agents .. I'm staggered that people would still walk into a high street shop to book a flight / holiday  in this day and age

I think trailblazers target people who are trying to step up from the tourist to the traveller, they have the confidence to book a week in spain online but maybe not 5/6 flights and hotels and travel around a bit, same with the likes of the flight centre and dial a flight, I think some people just like to get that 1st big one out of the way, I did china as an organised tour followed by japan by myself

it will catch up with them too though

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

flybe cancelled routes from BHX to various European cities, not many left now

not sure what the plan is for BHX with the £20m extension starting by the end of the year but then a drop in carriers, they need to give it a push

Flybe won't be around much longer

• 1 month later...

two 'recent' acquisitions will relatively 're-shape' parts of the industry. 

https://news.sky.com/story/british-airways-owner-iag-agrees-864m-deal-to-buy-air-europa-11853850

British Airways owner IAG agrees £864m deal to buy Air Europa

IAG looks west to grow fares and routes as its Iberia arm forks out for privately-owned Air Europa in Spain.

The owner of British Airways has agreed a €1bn (£864m) takeover of Spain's third-largest airline, Air Europa.

International Airlines Group (IAG) already owns Spanish carrier Iberia and low-cost airline Vueling.

The Air Europa purchase marks the latest consolidation in an industry suffering the effects of intense fare competition and surging fuel bills.

The company said the all-cash deal aimed to close by the middle of next year, subject to regulatory clearances.

IAG said the move would reestablish its position as a leader in European air travel to the Latin America and Caribbean markets and bolster Madrid's hub airport status as it battles Amsterdam, London Heathrow and Paris Charles De Gaulle.

Air Europa flies to 69 destinations.

Willie Walsh, IAG chief executive, said: "Acquiring Air Europa would add a new competitive, cost effective airline to IAG, consolidating Madrid as a leading European hub and resulting in IAG achieving South Atlantic leadership, therefore generating additional financial value for our shareholders.

"IAG has a strong track record of successful acquisitions, most recently with the acquisition of Aer Lingus in 2015 and we are convinced Air Europa presents a strong strategic fit for the group."

IAG shares were trading more than 1.5% higher in response to the news.

The company told shareholders the acquisition would be expected to generate cost synergies across selling, general and administrative expenses, procurement, handling and distribution costs.

Just days ago, IAG blamed strike action at its British Airways arm for a hit to its latest earnings.

European airlines are looking to the west to achieve growth as fares are held back in the tougher market.

Low-cost operator Norwegian Air signed a partnership last month with JetBlue Airways to enable European passengers to book straight through to around 100 US cities.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-delta-latam-analysis/delta-swings-from-market-weakness-to-strength-in-latin-america-idUSKBN1WM1YD

SAO PAULO (Reuters) - A surprise $1.9 billion investment by Delta Air Lines (DAL.N) in LATAM Airlines Group (LTM.SN) is likely to fire up competition in South America as the weakest U.S. carrier in the region joins up with the strongest homegrown player. 

Atlanta-based Delta had long struggled to get a better foothold in the Latin American market, lagging United Airlines (UAL.O) and American Airlines (AAL.O), whose longtime partnership with LATAM gave it a comfortable lead. 

With the Delta deal, that reigning power couple has split. 

Dominance in Latin America — an air travel market expected to double in the next decade — has been fiercely disputed by the top three U.S. carriers for good reason. Eight of every 10 passengers in Latin America traveling outside the region are bound for North America, according to industry group ALTA. 

Following its breakup with Chile-based LATAM last month, American Airlines quickly announced new flights next year from Miami to Chile and Peru — destinations where the two had been coordinating their routes with regulatory approval. 

“This shows you that the (American-LATAM) partnership ultimately ended up undermining supply,” said Carlos Ozores, a principal at consulting company ICF. “There was no competition because these were two carriers that coordinated their fares and worked as one.” 

American said it had “expanded routes and lowered prices” as a result of its coordination with LATAM in Chile and Peru. 

The combined strength of LATAM and American ultimately doomed their partnership, as Chile’s top court ruled in May that they could not expand their cooperation on travel to the United States. 

By contrast, Delta’s historic weakness in the region has become a distinct advantage, allowing it to leapfrog competitors without facing as much regulatory scrutiny. 

“American and LATAM had a number of overlaps that created issues,” Delta Chief Legal Officer Peter Carter told investors last month. “And we just don’t have that here.” 

LATAM declined to comment. 

American said in a statement it “remains the largest U.S. carrier to both Latin and South America and we look forward to competing and growing in this region of the world.” 

American also announced an additional daily flight from Miami to Sao Paulo starting in 2020, a market where it did not have the level of coordination as in Chile or Peru. This will create stiffer competition, especially in Miami, a hub for both LATAM and American and a top destination for Latin Americans. 

“It’s a very risky move because Delta is not very strong in Miami and American is very strong there,” said Luis Felipe Oliveira, ALTA’s executive director. 

BEYOND BRAZIL 

Delta has worked for much of the past decade to improve its standing in Latin America, investing in Brazil’s Gol Linhas Aereas (GOLL4.SA) in 2011 and Grupo Aeromexico (AEROMEX.MX) the next year. In 2016, it made an offer for Colombia’s Avianca Holdings AVT_p.CN, but was rebuffed in favor of United. 

In recent years, Delta has grown frustrated with the Gol partnership, which did little for its South American push beyond Brazil. LATAM and Avianca have broader regional ambitions, investing in domestic airlines outside their home markets. 

“So the natural thought is ... that produces a return that’s below your average return,” Glen Hauenstein, Delta’s president, told investors last month regarding the prior regional strategy. 

Delta is in the process of selling its stake in Gol, and redoubling efforts in Colombia, Chile and Peru, which account for a combined 45% of South American travel to the United States, compared with just 29% percent from Brazil. 

Air traffic in each of the three countries is expected to more than triple between 2020 and 2040, according to a forecast prepared by CAF, a Latin American development bank owned by countries in the region. 

Colombia even rivals Brazil for U.S. travel. Last year, 3 million travelers flew between Brazil and North America, compared with 2.7 million who flew between Colombia and North America, according to worldwide industry group IATA. Colombia, which has a quarter of the population of Brazil, is also expected to grow its economy more quickly than its larger neighbor. 

“The major market that we want to be in is Colombia,” Delta’s Hauenstein said. 

LATAM is already making ambitious moves there. In May, it announced a $300 million investment in Colombia aimed at challenging market leader Avianca, which has allied with United and Copa Holdings (CPA.N) in their own regional play. 

Delta is hoping it is arriving in time to reap the benefits of LATAM’s groundwork.

Any regular BA fliers sheed check out the Avios booking section on BA's website via their account

Return to Budapest (july next year)  at the moment 22,000 Avios and £1 tax   .. I just looked at Zurich for Dec and economy out , Business back (no economy avail) was 20,500 avios and £1

doesn't seem to be for long haul flights , just short haul  ..think the promotion ends 21st Nov

Edited by tonyh29

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/06/2017 at 16:06, villakram said:

It really is tough to explain to people who don't live here just how bad the air travel market in the US is... without getting really pissed off. Anything that could help open up the place to some of the modern airline culture in use elsewhere in the world would be most welcome.

It's a rotten to the core protected monopoly system over here right now.

Fly intra-Europe business class and get back to us.  Economy seat pitch with a blocked middle seat, though there's a better shot at meal service.  At best it beats UA Y+ (why they haven't followed DL/AA in giving extra legroom Y free booze, I don't know).

• 2 months later...
On 13/07/2017 at 13:58, Villaphan04 said:

In other news, American is ending its 'relationships' with Qatar and Etihad.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/12/american-airlines-ending-code-share-agreements-with-two-gulf-airlines.html

Qatar still is planning on purchasing 10% of American despite this news.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-american-airline-codesharing-idUSKBN19X2V3

Well looks like they've reversed course almost 3 years later...

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2020/American-Airlines-and-Qatar-Airways-Sign--Strategic-Partnership-Deal-and-Codeshare-Agreement-NET-ALP/default.aspx

American Airlines and Qatar Airways Sign Strategic Partnership Deal and Codeshare Agreement

Tuesday, February 25, 2020, 7:00 AM

Share email-icon.png Email
FORT WORTH, Texas — American Airlines has renewed its codeshare agreement with Qatar Airways, a premier carrier and member of the oneworld® alliance in the Arabian Peninsula. This is the first step in building a strategic partnership between the airlines that will increase commercial cooperation, bolster connectivity and create new travel options for customers. Following restoration of the codeshare, American will begin exploring the addition of service from the U.S. to Doha.

American will begin exploring the addition of service from U.S. to Doha; immediate benefits include increased connectivity and creation of new travel options for customers

FORT WORTH, Texas — American Airlines has renewed its codeshare agreement with Qatar Airways, a premier carrier and member of the oneworld® alliance in the Arabian Peninsula. This is the first step in building a strategic partnership between the airlines that will increase commercial cooperation, bolster connectivity and create new travel options for customers. Following restoration of the codeshare, American will begin exploring the addition of service from the U.S. to Doha.

“Our goal is to continue to expand and deepen our global partnerships to complement American’s network and create more choice for our customers,” said American’s Chairman and CEO Doug Parker. “The issues that led to the suspension of our partnership two years ago have been addressed, and we believe resuming our codeshare agreement will allow us to provide service to markets that our customers, team members and shareholders value, including new growth opportunities for American Airlines. We look forward to the renewed cooperation between our airlines and hope to build an even stronger relationship with Qatar Airways over time.”

Qatar Airways Group Chief Executive His Excellency Mr. Akbar Al Baker said, “We are very pleased to secure this strategic partnership with American Airlines — an agreement between two successful and ambitious airlines with a shared common purpose to enhance the customer experience. The deal will bring together two of the world’s largest airline networks, increasing choices for millions of passengers and providing seamless connectivity to a significant number of new destinations, in line with Qatar Airways’ successful growth strategy. We have moved on from past issues and look forward to working closely with American Airlines to build a world-leading partnership for all our customers. This agreement will harness our complementary strengths and resources and enable more customers to experience Qatar Airways’ award-winning product quality.”

New routes

Pending government approvals, American will place its code on select Qatar Airways nonstop and connecting services to and from the U.S. and Qatar Airways' hub in Doha, allowing American’s customers to access new destinations in the Middle East, East Africa, South Asia and South East Asia that are not currently served by American. Qatar Airways will place its code on select flights beyond American’s hubs in Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW), Chicago (ORD), New York (JFK), Philadelphia (PHL), Miami (MIA) and Los Angeles (LAX), as well as on American’s international flights to and from Europe, the Caribbean, Central America and South America.

In addition to American exploring the addition of service from the United States to Doha, both airlines will discuss new ways to further their partnership through expanded commercial cooperation that will enable long-haul growth for both airlines.

“This partnership with Qatar is another step to increase our connectivity, while providing more choice and making travel easier and more accessible for our customers,” said Vasu Raja, Senior Vice President of Network Strategy for American. “As we look to build out a truly global network and create a strong presence in Africa, the Middle East and Asia, the renewed codeshare with Qatar Airways will be one of the cornerstones of making that a reality.”

About American Airlines Group
American Airlines offers customers 6,800 daily flights to more than 365 destinations in 61 countries from its hubs in Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix and Washington, D.C. With a shared purpose of caring for people on life's journey, American's 130,000 global team members serve more than 200 million customers annually. Since 2013, American has invested more than $28 billion in its product and people and now flies the youngest fleet among U.S. network carriers, equipped with industry-leading high-speed Wi-Fi, lie-flat seats, and more inflight entertainment and access to power. American also has enhanced food and beverage options in the air and on the ground in its world-class Admirals Club and Flagship lounges. American was recently named a Five Star Global Airline by the Airline Passenger Experience Association and Airline of the Year by Air Transport World. American is a founding member of oneworld®, whose members serve 1,100 destinations in 180 countries and territories. Shares of American Airlines Group Inc. trade on Nasdaq under the ticker symbol AAL and the company's stock is included in the S&P 500. Learn more about what's happening at American by visiting news.aa.com and connect with American on Twitter @AmericanAir and at Facebook.com/AmericanAirlines.

About Qatar Airways
Qatar Airways currently operates a modern fleet of more than 250 aircraft via its hub, Hamad International Airport (HIA), to more than 170 destinations worldwide. The world’s fastest-growing airline will add Osaka, Japan; Santorini, Greece; Dubrovnik, Croatia; Almaty and Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan; Accra, Ghana; Cebu, Philippines; Lyon, France; Trabzon, Turkey; Siem Reap, Cambodia and Luanda, Angola to its extensive network in 2020.

A multiple award-winning airline, Qatar Airways was named ‘World’s Best Airline’ by the 2019 World Airline Awards, managed by the international air transport rating organisation Skytrax. It was also named ‘Best Airline in the Middle East’, ‘World’s Best Business Class’, and ‘Best Business Class Seat’, in recognition of its ground-breaking Business Class experience, Qsuite. It is the only airline to have been awarded the coveted “Skytrax Airline of the Year” title, which is recognised as the pinnacle of excellence in the airline industry, five times.

I'd imagine that Qatar is going to look to purchase another stake in AA in the near future. 

Edited by Villaphan04

also something relatively big in the industry over in the states specifically: Alaska is joining oneworld

Alaska Airlines, American Airlines Announce New West Coast International Alliance: Alaska’s West Coast Network to Connect With American’s Long-Haul Flying to Create More Choice for Travelers

SEATTLE and FORT WORTH, Texas — Today, Alaska Airlines and American Airlines announce an alliance to create more choice for West Coast customers. The expanded relationship between the airlines will offer customers several benefits, including:

• Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.

The alliance will give West Coast travelers more choices when traveling internationally, offer seamless access across a broader network and provide strategic growth for both airlines.

“Alaska has always been proud to serve Seattle, the city that we call home. We’re thrilled to give our guests more choice, broader use of loyalty benefits, and seamless global service with American and oneworld,” said Ben Minicucci, president of Alaska Airlines. “Additionally, international service to global business and tech hubs Heathrow and Bangalore is a tremendous win for the growing Seattle region and the West Coast.”

“Alaska Airlines has been an outstanding partner for nearly 40 years, and we’re excited to expand West Coast international service together,” said Robert Isom, president of American Airlines. “By connecting American’s strength in long-haul international flying and Alaska’s presence across the West Coast, we will build a better network for our customers than either airline could build alone. Together, we will deliver more value, benefits and choice for customers across the U.S. and around the globe.”

Alaska seeks full oneworld membership

Alaska intends to join oneworld, the world’s fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance. Once approved, oneworld membership will allow Alaska Mileage Plan loyalty members to earn and redeem miles through oneworld’s more than 1,200 international destinations. The alliance enables reciprocal benefits on other member airlines, such as priority check-in and boarding, access to preferred seats and free checked bags.

Seattle: An international gateway

Seattle’s first-ever direct flight to BLR will be available for purchase later this month, with daily flights beginning October 2020. Daily service between SEA and LHR will be available for purchase in May 2020 for flights starting March 2021. 

“Beginning West Coast international service from Seattle will complement American’s strong existing international network from LAX,” said Vasu Raja, American’s Senior Vice President, Network Strategy. “India is a grossly underserved market, despite the number of businesses with a major presence in both India and the West Coast. By adding Seattle to Bangalore, we’re giving customers from more than 70 U.S. cities access to India in one stop or less — versus the two, three or four stops they’d have to make to get there in the past.”

Codeshare and Frequent Flier Benefits: More options for customers

Alaska and American will continue their domestic codeshare relationship, which was scheduled to shrink in March of 2020. The airlines will expand codeshare to West Coast international routes from SEA and LAX for broader international access and choice for customers. Codeshare gives customers seamless access to more destinations and reciprocal frequent flyer program benefits. Customers with lounge membership will enjoy shared access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S. for same-day travel on American or Alaska flights.

“This alliance further opens the world for Alaska Airlines guests, whether traveling for business or pleasure,” said Andrew Harrison, Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer of Alaska Airlines. “And importantly for our employees, and the communities we serve, this West Coast international alliance enables Alaska’s continued independent growth. As we’ve shared, we’re focused on delivering for our guests over the long-term – which means continued profitable growth to enable new aircraft and new opportunities. This supports those goals, and is an important step on the path.”

The implementation of the expanded relationship and other arrangements described herein is subject to the negotiation and execution of definitive documentation and governmental review.

Cautionary Statement Regarding Forward-Looking Statements and Information
Certain of the statements contained in this press release should be considered forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended (the Securities Act), the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended (the Exchange Act), and the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements may be identified by words such as “may,” “will,” “expect,” “intend,” “anticipate,” “believe,” “estimate,” “plan,” “project,” “could,” “should,” “would,” “continue,” “seek,” “target,” “guidance,” “outlook,” “if current trends continue,” “optimistic,” “forecast” and other similar words. Such statements include, but are not limited to, statements about our plans, objectives, expectations, intentions, estimates and strategies for the future, and other statements that are not historical facts. These forward-looking statements are based on our current objectives, beliefs and expectations, and they are subject to significant risks and uncertainties that may cause actual results and financial position and timing of certain events to differ materially from the information in the forward-looking statements. These risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, those risks and uncertainties set forth from time to time in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. There may be other factors of which we are not currently aware that may affect matters discussed in the forward-looking statements and may also cause actual results to differ materially from those discussed. We do not assume any obligation to publicly update or supplement any forward-looking statement to reflect actual results, changes in assumptions or changes in other factors affecting these forward-looking statements other than as required by law. Any forward-looking statements speak only as of the date of this press release or as of the dates indicated in the statement.

About Alaska Airlines
Alaska Airlines and its regional partners fly 47 million guests a year to more than 116 destinations with an average of 1,300 daily flights across the United States and to Mexico, Canada and Costa Rica. With Alaska and Alaska Global Partners, guests can earn and redeem miles on flights to more than 800 destinations worldwide. Alaska Airlines ranked "Highest in Customer Satisfaction Among Traditional Carriers in North America" in the J.D. Power North America Airline Satisfaction Study for 12 consecutive years from 2008 to 2019. Learn about Alaska's award-winning service at newsroom.alaskaair.com and blog.alaskaair.com. Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air are subsidiaries of Alaska Air Group (NYSE: ALK).

About American Airlines Group
American Airlines offers customers 6,800 daily flights to more than 365 destinations in 61 countries from its hubs in Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix and Washington, D.C. With a shared purpose of caring for people on life's journey, American's 130,000 global team members serve more than 200 million customers annually. Since 2013, American has invested more than $28 billion in its product and people and now flies the youngest fleet among U.S. network carriers, equipped with industry-leading high-speed Wi-Fi, lie-flat seats, and more inflight entertainment and access to power. American also has enhanced food and beverage options in the air and on the ground in its world-class Admirals Club and Flagship lounges. American was recently named a Five Star Global Airline by the Airline Passenger Experience Association and Airline of the Year by Air Transport World. American is a founding member of oneworld®, whose members serve 1,100 destinations in 180 countries and territories. Shares of American Airlines Group Inc. trade on Nasdaq under the ticker symbol AAL and the company's stock is included in the S&P 500. Learn more about what's happening at American by visiting news.aa.com and connect with American on Twitter @AmericanAir and at Facebook.com/AmericanAirlines.

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2020/Alaska-Airlines-American-Airlines-Announce-New-West-Coast-International-Alliance-Alaskas-West-Coast-Network-to-Connect-With-Americans-Long-Haul-Flying-to-Create-More-Choice-for-Travelers-NET-ALP/default.aspx

got a few people out of a hole that decision did  , no ditch and now no bulldozers for Boris to worry about

it's a bit further out but Gatwick is predominantly surrounded by fields , would much more sense to give them another runway over Heathrow

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

got a few people out of a hole that decision did  , no ditch and now no bulldozers for Boris to worry about

it's a bit further out but Gatwick is predominantly surrounded by fields , would much more sense to give them another runway over Heathrow

East Midlands London Airport

problem solved

• 2 weeks later...
Â