General Premier League chat 17/18

BOF

Burnley's former England goalkeeper Paul Robinson has announced his retirement at the age of 37.

Robinson, who began his career at Leeds in 1998 and also played for Tottenham and Blackburn, was capped 41 times for his country.

He joined Burnley in January 2016, making three Premier League appearances last season as cover for Tom Heaton.

Robinson, who made 498 club appearances, decided to retire after the recurrence of a back problem.

"My back problem returned towards the end of last season and has prevented me being ready for the start of the new season," he said.

"I have been very lucky to play for four very special football clubs and my country."

Robinson was the England keeper at the 2006 World Cup in Germany, keeping four clean sheets in five games including the goalless quarter-final which Portugal won on penalties.

But he paid the price for costly errors as England failed to reach Euro 2008, most famously failing to connect with a Gary Neville back pass which resulted in an own goal in the 2-0 defeat in Croatia.

Robinson finally retired from international football in August 2011.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40632390

Bit harsh.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2017 at 05:30, PaulC said:

I hope it all collapses and many clubs go bankrupt. Just sick of all the money in the Premier League and the wages and the prices paid for players, yet continued crap performances in the champions league but hey United win the Europa league so all is great. Good luck to Huddersfield, good luck to Brighton. I like Eddie Howe and Bournemouth and that's it. Leicester ruffled a few feathers for a short time and that was good. 

City or Chelsea for the title. Everton to finish 7th or 8th. We know the teams that will struggle against relegation. Its boring and predicatable. 

I hope it all collapses but if clubs go bankrupt it's the fans that suffer, not the toss-pot agents and people like Scudamore who've been creaming off the top for all these years.

Sadly even after Leicester did ruffle a few feathers it seems their players couldn't stay level headed for the next season and Ranieri was out. That was probably down to agents whispering in their ear about about making an extra coupe of million or 2.

I don't know how you'd fix football to be honest. How do you make it competitive again where any from the top ten teams could win the league? Salary caps? FFP has been manipulated to actually help the top clubs stay there.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Levy is spot on. Clubs will go bust and by looks of it Sky dont have the money to make bigger tv rights deals

Chairman Daniel Levy has defended Tottenham's lack of transfer activity this summer and claimed the spending by other Premier League clubs is unsustainable.

More than £850m has been spent by top-flight sides in the transfer window, which ends on 31 August.

But Tottenham, who sold Kyle Walker to Manchester City for £45m this month, have not made any signings.

"We have a duty to manage the club appropriately," said Levy.

"Some of the activity that is going on at the moment is just impossible for it to be sustainable.

"Somebody spending £200m more than they're earning, eventually it catches up with you. And you can't keep doing it."

Accountancy firm Deloitte said Premier League sides are on course to surpass the record £1.165bn they spent last summer.

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho said last week: "I'm used to clubs paying big for big players. Now everybody pays big money for good players."

Walker's departure aside, Spurs have retained the same squad that finished second to Chelsea in the league last season.

The club are in the process of building a new 61,000-seat stadium, which is expected to cost £750m and is scheduled to open next year.

Speaking at a Nasdaq Q&A in New York, Levy said: "Obviously when you're building a stadium of this magnitude and it all has to be privately financed - there's no state help whatsoever - it is a challenge.

"We have to find the right balance but I can honestly say it is not impacting us on transfer activity because we are not yet in a place where we have found a player that we want to buy who we cannot afford to buy."

Mauricio Pochettino's side, who are in the United States on their pre-season tour, beat France's Paris St-Germain 4-2 at the weekend, with 17-year-old midfielder Tashan Oakley-Boothe playing 45 minutes.

On Tuesday, a side beaten 3-2 by Roma featured three more academy products in the starting line-up - Cameron Carter-Vickers, Kyle Walker-Peters and Josh Onomah.

Levy said: "Our position on transfers is that we have a coach who very much believes in the academy, so unless we can find a player that makes a difference we would rather give one of our young academy players a chance.

"The academy is important because if we produce our own players we don't have to spend £20m or £30m on a player.

"An academy player has that affinity with the club and that's what the fans want to see."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40722879

Then goes out and spends 50m on more Janssons and Sissoko's.

I do largely agree with Levy's sentiments but the reality is the top end prem clubs are cash cows even without some of the TV deal.

Man. United or Man. City could get a small fortune for someone sponsoring their goalnets at their training ground.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 26/07/2017 at 22:18, VillaChris said:

Then goes out and spends 50m on more Janssons and Sissoko's.

I do largely agree with Levy's sentiments but the reality is the top end prem clubs are cash cows even without some of the TV deal.

Man. United or Man. City could get a small fortune for someone sponsoring their goalnets at their training ground.

Spending £50m on the aforementioned doesn't invalidate what he said.  He's on about consistently spending above your means.  Spurs are well able to make the odd purchase of that nature, being (sadly) one of the largest clubs in the world.

But consistently spending above your means also depends on 'your means', which is why I think the top sides will be fine.  Utd make stupid money, and if the Sky bubble bursts they'll adopt the Spanish model and go it alone.  United are already looking at that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

so in the first 10 games of the season 9 of newcastles are on TV...including sunday afternoon 4pm away games vs brighton, southampton and swansea

they have 5 3pm Saturday games in first 10

So this overhyped piece of shit for a league gets underway tonight, can hardly contain myself. Another boring season of watching ridiculously over priced and invariably extremely average players do their 'thing', whilst Sky try to brainwash you into thinking it's the very best league in the world. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

Think Newcastle will struggle this year, even with a good manager, their squad just doesn't seem good enough. Seems much to be relying on Dwight Gayle for goals. 

They'll be better defensively than they were last few years in the prem, Ritchie and Shelvey are good players at this level and their back up striker is Mitrovic who scored 12 last time he was at this level.

It's better than what Brighton and Huddersfield have but Benitez speculation could derail things as I do get the feeling he's going to walk out sooner or later.

• 1 month later...

The 'big 6' in the Premier League want a greater share of the overseas money. Luckily it was rejected by the other teams but i'm sure they will get their way eventually as it was backed by the Scudamore. It'll just create more imbalance within the league between the haves and have -nots

Premier League clubs have rejected an initial proposal to end the equal distribution of overseas TV money.

The six richest clubs - Manchester City, Manchester United, Tottenham, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea - want their appeal reflected in their income.

And a plan - presented by the league's executive chairman Richard Scudamore - suggested 35% of global revenue should be divided based on league position.

But at a meeting on Wednesday, no vote was taken due to a lack of support.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41497079

1 hour ago, Xela said:

The 'big 6' in the Premier League want a greater share of the overseas money. Luckily it was rejected by the other teams but i'm sure they will get their way eventually as it was backed by the Scudamore. It'll just create more imbalance within the league between the haves and have -nots

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41497079

Hopefully the big 6 will **** off and join a European super league. All the games can be played in Asia and will only be viewable on ppv so I will be able to miss all of the grossly overpaid fucktards in action. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

So this weeks "Friday night Football" is Liverpool vs United - Evening kick off is surely a recipe for crowd trouble?

unless they moved Friday night to 12.30 on Saturday it should be OK ;)